Prince wouldn't be happy

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
will it be, in 20 years ill be dead so don't care. I cant see most of todays music being a classic in 20 years

Most of the music from 20 years ago isn't classic either. Same thing, 20 years later.

You are oh so right but todays music I don't see it standing the test of time

Luckily, we won't have to see it standing the test of time. ;)

Last edited:
At this rate can anyone imagine how weird pop music will be in 2038?

At this rate can anyone imagine how weird pop music will be in 2038?

I'm thinking music will have a relapse at some point, and trend back to sounding like 1990s Techno/Club music LOL. ...Just a hunch.

I also think some teen/young adult bands will mimic the Beatles kind of and relapse to an older type of sound. ...I think this stuff will happen after the current music finally gets boring for the younger listeners.

As far as the half time show. I thought it was incredible. Very nicely staged. The Light Show was Top Notch. Nobody else does what JT does, and has his style. In recent half time shows, Justin Timberlake's and Bruno Mars were the best ones.

Pretty much the whole half time show, I was pointing out lighting fixtures and effect to my family! :laugh: Whoever designed that show is amazing!

Opinions on how the ways we value music is changing, how it's changed for today's artists, and why we tend to get stuck in an age range when it comes to our musical likes and dislikes:

Pop Life: The state of music

There is no doubt that the revenue stream has changed to being concerts. It seems that tours used to support album sales. Now an album and single support the tour.

I don't go as much as I'd like, but I do try to go spend money to see artists I value. If we as consumers and lovers of music don't support the artists in one way or another, none of them will thrive.

If we as consumers and lovers of music don't support the artists in one way or another, none of them will thrive.

That is a big reason why so many great band/artist start ups fail. ...There are lots of bands and artists with great talent that give it a real strong shot, it ends up taking years with little to no movement, and very few end up supporting them. Going to their shows. Buying their music, and then life tackles them, and they fade away because they simply don't have the financial backing to keep with it. They get older, the bills mount up, have kids/get married, and the band or career in music fades away.

We attended a CD Release party for a local band we think is pretty good. They marketed it like crazy. Tried to get as many friends as possible to support them. They were selling tickets for $8 each. The only people who bought tickets were myself, my 2 podcast partners, and 4 other people. They got 7 people to show up. It's real hard to get people to go to support bands today.

Another band who has been around for maybe 4 years now did a show at Baltimore Sound Stage. It was them, and 2 other bands. We bought tickets to check them out. ...The venue takes a big portion of those ticket sales, and there was also probably 6 or 7 security people there that needed to be paid for. ...They managed to get about 50 tickets at $15 each sold between the 3 bands. It is interesting seeing how loud it was in there for a crowd of 50! ... Most of these bands get stuck doing shows for a percentage of ticket sales, or working for low amounts of money at a bar, and after a few years they never progress, and end up quitting the business or disbanding as a band for good.

I do not believe the younger generation is willing to support artists in the capacity that previous generations did. They would generally rather stay at home and just listen for free fro time to time. So many are really anti social, or just not willing to go out and have a good time any more. Or at the very least, what many consider a "good time" today has changed from what was considered a "good time" years in the past.

One of the band members I talked with even said that all of his friends are gamers, and would rather stay at home playing video games all night than leave the comfort of their home to support his band at the Sound Stage on a Saturday Night. ...It's Sad when your best friends won't bother supporting your band just one time.

That is a big reason why so many great band/artist start ups fail. ...There are lots of bands and artists with great talent that give it a real strong shot, it ends up taking years with little to no movement, and very few end up supporting them. Going to their shows. Buying their music, and then life tackles them, and they fade away because they simply don't have the financial backing to keep with it. They get older, the bills mount up, have kids/get married, and the band or career in music fades away.

We attended a CD Release party for a local band we think is pretty good. They marketed it like crazy. Tried to get as many friends as possible to support them. They were selling tickets for $8 each. The only people who bought tickets were myself, my 2 podcast partners, and 4 other people. They got 7 people to show up. It's real hard to get people to go to support bands today.

Another band who has been around for maybe 4 years now did a show at Baltimore Sound Stage. It was them, and 2 other bands. We bought tickets to check them out. ...The venue takes a big portion of those ticket sales, and there was also probably 6 or 7 security people there that needed to be paid for. ...They managed to get about 50 tickets at $15 each sold between the 3 bands. It is interesting seeing how loud it was in there for a crowd of 50! ... Most of these bands get stuck doing shows for a percentage of ticket sales, or working for low amounts of money at a bar, and after a few years they never progress, and end up quitting the business or disbanding as a band for good.

I do not believe the younger generation is willing to support artists in the capacity that previous generations did. They would generally rather stay at home and just listen for free fro time to time. So many are really anti social, or just not willing to go out and have a good time any more. Or at the very least, what many consider a "good time" today has changed from what was considered a "good time" years in the past.

One of the band members I talked with even said that all of his friends are gamers, and would rather stay at home playing video games all night than leave the comfort of their home to support his band at the Sound Stage on a Saturday Night. ...It's Sad when your best friends won't bother supporting your band just one time.
We have a to of great regional cover bands that command 5 to 10k for festival shows the key is they have to be entertainers not just good musicians heck even the cheap festival bands are $1500

We have a to of great regional cover bands that command 5 to 10k for festival shows the key is they have to be entertainers not just good musicians heck even the cheap festival bands are $1500

There are some out there still that make a solid living in the band business. However, many of them have also been around a long while, and cater to an older age group.

...The Cheap festival bands may charge $1,500, but perhaps they only do 25 to 40 shows a year or less. Not a lot of money to be able to rely on that income for a band member. It's likely more of a side gig income still.

I know a band who does the wine festival in Baltimore every year. They get about $1,500 for that...it's their highest paying gig of the year. They charge $500 to $600 to do bars, and looking at their schedule over the past year they have been working less and less.

I would say the most popular, or one of the most popular here locally is Great Train Robbery. Great Train Robbery

It looks like they have about 95 gigs on their schedule for the year with about 30 of them being smaller acoustic shows on Sundays. They are older, and bring in a older crowd to their shows. I think the older bands with a strong reputation, who cater to the above age 45 crowd are able to continue to do well.

The younger bands don't seem to be in it full time because they can't get to a point to where they can do enough shows, and charge enough money to make enough money from their fan base today.

I just bought tickets to see Jason Mraz in August .. going to be a Daddy/Daughter date night. I took her to one of his concerts 9 years ago.

It's going to be worse now when you're only buying one or two of their tracks vs an album (providing they are they're own label).