Pricing Questions

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

TinyTim

DJ Extraordinaire
Nov 2, 2017
Hello Everybody!

So I apologize if yall are getting tired of my questions but I am back again! So here is my question for tonight, how do i figure out how much to charge? Obviously I have almost zero experience so I am not going to be pulling in anywhere near the amount of money that established DJs are getting. But I am completely lost on where to start with pricing. Do I charge by the hour with discounted rates for larger time blocks (i.e. $25/hr or $100 for 5 hours) or should I have set prices based on the type of event regardless of event length?

I guess I need to try and see if I can find out what DJs in my area are charging as a starting point but how do I go about doing that? Just calling them and asking how much they charge seems kinda rude and I don't want to step on any toes. The last thing I want/need is to build a bad reputation before I even really get this thing off the ground!

Thanks in advance for all the help folks! I don't know where I would be without the advice and input I have gotten here!

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Here's my opinion... again just AN OPINION. Not right, not wrong... take not only what i say, but what others say (as you're gonna get a million opinions on this), and come up with the direction you think is best for you, your style, and your needs.

First off... DO NOT DO hourly rates... stay away from those... it gives clients the ability to try and manipulate your pricing should they desire to. "O well, we just need you for after dinner which is just two hours"... meanwhile its a 4 hr events, and you can either go and set up while guests are already there and look tacky, or show up prior to the event starts... and well guess what, now you're there for the 4 hr event in it's entirety. The other reason I hate it is because you're one guy, doing one event per day, and you need to maximize the amount you earn in that one day. That's why I have a set price for no matter what event I do. I look at them all equally, as I do not want to leave my house without getting a certain amount. It's also mathematical... if I want to make $$$ revenue, that means I need to do a certain number of events at a certain price. My sweet spot is around 70 events a year... but have to assume I'll only hit 60, and therefore need to avg $$$ per event to hit my goal, and any event above 60 is bonus. So again to summarize, have a starting rate on a per event basis. Find out the avg amount of hours an event is in your area and set the rate for that amount of hours. Any less... the price remains the same (again because you only do one event per day and that is the least you'll work for to sustain your business)... any more than that amount of hours stated, charge overtime.

Secondly... the actual price you give. Taking into consideration that you're just starting out, need to get bookings, and don't have all the experience in the world yet... you're obviously not going to charge what the experienced dj's are. My advice is to try and get a sense of where you want to be positioned pricewise in a few years. I did this as a hobby, and didn't think that first, and it kinda came back to bite me later on when past clients kept coming back to book me at dirt cheap prices. Around here, the avg dj is around $1400 for a wedding and give or take around $1000 for any private event. Your area probably is a little different. DO your research, ask around, see what others have paid etc. If you see the avg rate is around $700 then great that's going to be the goal for you to reach as soon as possible.

When guests inquire and ask price, I would suggest approaching it by saying, well normally the typical rate for a dj for a "insert party type here" is around $800, but as an introductory offer for my first year since I am trying to build my business, it will be $400 (or whatever you want to reduce it to). At least this way you've provided a deal, you've set the seed of what pricing they may expect in the future, and you've kind of set the expectation that you're just starting out, so you may not be perfect. This was my tactic early on when I started getting serious and really wanted cross the $1000 threshold. I wrote up price sheets with pricing at $1000, saying that was what the company I worked for charged for me, but because I'm still new and am gaining exposure I'd charge $800. I built my base of clients, and focused on giving the best experience possible... one that would exceed the expectations of someone at the price I was charging. It worked, and little by little when the referrals from those events came in I would keep raising prices. When I met a new circle of clientele that I wasn't exposed to yet, I'd play the same gimmick of this is what I normally charge but (insert some reason here) it'll be a lower amount. It worked for me. After a while your brand gets big enough where you set a price and stick to it, and raise it as you please and your demand allows. I'm not worried anymore about getting turned down as I get enough inquiries that I will probably have about 4-5 inquiries for the same date if its popular.

Here's my opinion... again just AN OPINION. Not right, not wrong... take not only what i say, but what others say (as you're gonna get a million opinions on this), and come up with the direction you think is best for you, your style, and your needs.

First off... DO NOT DO hourly rates... stay away from those... it gives clients the ability to try and manipulate your pricing should they desire to. "O well, we just need you for after dinner which is just two hours"... meanwhile its a 4 hr events, and you can either go and set up while guests are already there and look tacky, or show up prior to the event starts... and well guess what, now you're there for the 4 hr event in it's entirety. The other reason I hate it is because you're one guy, doing one event per day, and you need to maximize the amount you earn in that one day. That's why I have a set price for no matter what event I do. I look at them all equally, as I do not want to leave my house without getting a certain amount. It's also mathematical... if I want to make $$$ revenue, that means I need to do a certain number of events at a certain price. My sweet spot is around 70 events a year... but have to assume I'll only hit 60, and therefore need to avg $$$ per event to hit my goal, and any event above 60 is bonus. So again to summarize, have a starting rate on a per event basis. Find out the avg amount of hours an event is in your area and set the rate for that amount of hours. Any less... the price remains the same (again because you only do one event per day and that is the least you'll work for to sustain your business)... any more than that amount of hours stated, charge overtime.

Secondly... the actual price you give. Taking into consideration that you're just starting out, need to get bookings, and don't have all the experience in the world yet... you're obviously not going to charge what the experienced dj's are. My advice is to try and get a sense of where you want to be positioned pricewise in a few years. I did this as a hobby, and didn't think that first, and it kinda came back to bite me later on when past clients kept coming back to book me at dirt cheap prices. Around here, the avg dj is around $1400 for a wedding and give or take around $1000 for any private event. Your area probably is a little different. DO your research, ask around, see what others have paid etc. If you see the avg rate is around $700 then great that's going to be the goal for you to reach as soon as possible.

When guests inquire and ask price, I would suggest approaching it by saying, well normally the typical rate for a dj for a "insert party type here" is around $800, but as an introductory offer for my first year since I am trying to build my business, it will be $400 (or whatever you want to reduce it to). At least this way you've provided a deal, you've set the seed of what pricing they may expect in the future, and you've kind of set the expectation that you're just starting out, so you may not be perfect. This was my tactic early on when I started getting serious and really wanted cross the $1000 threshold. I wrote up price sheets with pricing at $1000, saying that was what the company I worked for charged for me, but because I'm still new and am gaining exposure I'd charge $800. I built my base of clients, and focused on giving the best experience possible... one that would exceed the expectations of someone at the price I was charging. It worked, and little by little when the referrals from those events came in I would keep raising prices. When I met a new circle of clientele that I wasn't exposed to yet, I'd play the same gimmick of this is what I normally charge but (insert some reason here) it'll be a lower amount. It worked for me. After a while your brand gets big enough where you set a price and stick to it, and raise it as you please and your demand allows. I'm not worried anymore about getting turned down as I get enough inquiries that I will probably have about 4-5 inquiries for the same date if its popular.

Thank you for the well though out and thorough reply! I was actually looking forward to seeing what you had to say. I will definitely stay away from the hourly thing. Your point there makes complete sense and I hadn't even thought if it that way! And I will definitely keep in mind what you said about the discounted price for the first year!

With that being said, how do I go about finding out average prices in a specific area? I am assuming there are booking sites out there for folks that are looking for DJs, photogs, etc but will it show me prices? Or am I going to have to contact individual DJs and inquire as to their prices?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I just always kept my eyes and ears open. Asked others what they perhaps paid for a dj, or looked at my competitors (or dj's I aspired to be like) web sites and seeing if they had them listed there. Sometimes the knot or wedding wire will have forums asking about what couples paid in a certain area for a dj. A new thing on weddingwire is it asks for dj's to include their prices on the site (or a general price list of the basics). From a quick look online for jacksonville, nc, it seems as if most dj's in the area charge around 600-900 for wedding dj services. Im sure some include ceremony and things of the sort. Maybe some include lighting, maybe not. Seems most of the add ons are monograms for $150ish, and uplighting at around $150-$200 or so. At least that gives a general ball park. Most important with pricing though is seeing how the clients react to what you say your price is.

I'm not gonna lie, I was absolutely disgusted by the websites of dj's in your area... and I've never seen so many negative reviews in my life. I have a feeling, if you truly work hard to be skillful and stand out, you can easily become a successful dj in your area... as it seems there is a real lack of talent and professionalism over there. There was one company that stood out, with a really nice website. Active DJ Entertainment out of Wilmington, NC. Their pricing was around that $900 mark.

You seem to have the motivation and the right attitude about how you're going about this. I am excited to see how your journey unfolds over time. Always willing to help... heck if you're ever in the nj area, let me know! I've had others check out the behind the scenes at my events to see a different perspective of things.

Reactions: TinyTim
I'm thinking you're in SC, correct? Just taking a wild stab at it, I'm guessing the starting rate should be in the $500 range. A couple of things to keep in mind, lowball figures will always get you clients who do not value you and will consequently treat you like crap. You'll also find that a too low dollar amount is often harder to sell because the client knows how much everybody else is charging and will question your ability. What I'd really recommend is for you to go back and do a lot of reading on old threads from this forum, then keep asking lots of questions. Get to know the ins and outs of the biz and avoid the mistakes that most of us have had to learn the hard way. Good luck with it.

I'm thinking you're in SC, correct? Just taking a wild stab at it, I'm guessing the starting rate should be in the $500 range. A couple of things to keep in mind, lowball figures will always get you clients who do not value you and will consequently treat you like crap. You'll also find that a too low dollar amount is often harder to sell because the client knows how much everybody else is charging and will question your ability. What I'd really recommend is for you to go back and do a lot of reading on old threads from this forum, then keep asking lots of questions. Get to know the ins and outs of the biz and avoid the mistakes that most of us have had to learn the hard way. Good luck with it.
I am in Southeastern North Carolina. Approx 2-2.5 hours north of Myrtle Beach straight up US HWY 17.

Last edited:
I am thinking of going with the plan that @djtaso recommended. Tell potential clients, "X is the average in this area, but because I am new to the game and just staring out, I will do it for Y". Do that for a year or so and then start working my prices higher until I get to the average range for my area.

Reactions: djtaso
We talk about pricing on this forum all the time. Pricing is all over the map depending on a bunch of factors, including; region, competition, services you include, the types of gigs you do, your business plan, and others.

When I say business plan, it includes your financial plan and your business objectives. Your plan may be significantly different from another DJ's plan if you have a full time job and DJ part time. A full time DJ has to do a certain number of gigs at a certain average price in order to make a given income.

There are some types of events that pay well, and others where they are not likely to pay well. There's also certain types of clients that will pay high prices, and others who are less inclined.

You really need to figure what kind of DJ you want to be; the kinds of gigs you want to do, the kinds of clients you want to serve, and the kinds of music you want to play.

All this is just my opinion, of course, but as someone who is a relative noob, these were my conclusions. When I started out, I asked some friends (who had hired DJ's in the area) how much they paid (or were quoted), looked at other DJ's web sites, and even talked to a couple of local DJ's who were friends with my son-in-law (who does security at a wedding chapel). Then, I priced myself a little less, based on my lack of experience (and references). Now that I have references after 3 years, I could raise my rates to be more in mainstream. I haven't done that, but I could.[emoji1] I actually kinda like being a bottom feeder.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you have no experience, start out with prices low enough to get as many bookings as you can.
6 hour weddings - $400
2-3 hour proms - $200
You might be ready to bump your prices up ($50-100) the following year if you gain enough experience. There isn't much money in high school dances unless you invest a lot of money into sound equipment and lights. Along with the equipment it helps to be really good at hyping the students on the mic.

Many generic parties don't require much, but they will give you a chance to get experience at selecting songs, beat matching, talking on the mic etc.

As Taso suggested, the problem with starting out with low prices might position you as a low priced DJ. You could start out with higher prices if you do a lot of practicing at home before seeking gigs. But actual experience (and lots of it) will teach you things you never thought of asking about.

Prices are all over the place. North and South Carolina are on the lower scale compared to much of the rest of the country. It's going to be real tough to book weddings above triple digits down there... I met a DJ from South Carolina, and he told me he could not believe I was booking weddings for $800+ up here in Maryland...and this was about 6 or 7 years ago. I remember him telling me he did weddings for $300 to $350/4 hours, and he would charge $375/4 hours if he had to drive more than 60 miles...and this guy had been deejaying since '91.

Then again, renting an apartment, and owning a house down in most areas of North and South Carolina are a good bit cheaper than areas North.

Taso gave you some good advice but I will add don't discount too deep. If the going rate in your area is $500 maybe come in around $400. If people are calling around and you are a hundred less with no experience they probably will take a shot if you are half price they might wonder why

We talk about pricing on this forum all the time. Pricing is all over the map depending on a bunch of factors, including; region, competition, services you include, the types of gigs you do, your business plan, and others.

When I say business plan, it includes your financial plan and your business objectives. Your plan may be significantly different from another DJ's plan if you have a full time job and DJ part time. A full time DJ has to do a certain number of gigs at a certain average price in order to make a given income.

There are some types of events that pay well, and others where they are not likely to pay well. There's also certain types of clients that will pay high prices, and others who are less inclined.

You really need to figure what kind of DJ you want to be; the kinds of gigs you want to do, the kinds of clients you want to serve, and the kinds of music you want to play.

All this is just my opinion, of course, but as someone who is a relative noob, these were my conclusions. When I started out, I asked some friends (who had hired DJ's in the area) how much they paid (or were quoted), looked at other DJ's web sites, and even talked to a couple of local DJ's who were friends with my son-in-law (who does security at a wedding chapel). Then, I priced myself a little less, based on my lack of experience (and references). Now that I have references after 3 years, I could raise my rates to be more in mainstream. I haven't done that, but I could.[emoji1] I actually kinda like being a bottom feeder.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is most definitely a part time thing. I would be ecstatic to get 1-2 gigs a month! I'm not trying to make a career out of it. Already spent the last ten years building one of those at the day job! Lol This started out as a hobby that has kinda grown into a way to make some extra cash.

Prices are all over the place. North and South Carolina are on the lower scale compared to much of the rest of the country. It's going to be real tough to book weddings above triple digits down there... I met a DJ from South Carolina, and he told me he could not believe I was booking weddings for $800+ up here in Maryland...and this was about 6 or 7 years ago. I remember him telling me he did weddings for $300 to $350/4 hours, and he would charge $375/4 hours if he had to drive more than 60 miles...and this guy had been deejaying since '91.

Then again, renting an apartment, and owning a house down in most areas of North and South Carolina are a good bit cheaper than areas North.

Yeah. When I first joined here and saw guys talking about being paid thousands of dollars for a wedding, I was floored! I had no idea there was that kind of money in the wedding business! Lol I would be ecstatic to make 400-500 a month doing gigs. And yeah, cost of living down here is a whole lot lower than in the Northeast!

Taso gave you some good advice but I will add don't discount too deep. If the going rate in your area is $500 maybe come in around $400. If people are calling around and you are a hundred less with no experience they probably will take a shot if you are half price they might wonder why
I will definitely keep that in mind. I don't want to scare people off by being to cheap! Lol

Yeah. When I first joined here and saw guys talking about being paid thousands of dollars for a wedding, I was floored! I had no idea there was that kind of money in the wedding business! Lol I would be ecstatic to make 400-500 a month doing gigs. And yeah, cost of living down here is a whole lot lower than in the Northeast!

Different areas are quite a bit different. Taso and I are both in very high cost of living areas, and I think you see that reflected in our pricing. He's also doing very high end production work, and I target a pretty specific style of high end brides.

But, that doesn't mean there isn't money to be made in your market. $500 a month net should be a very attainable goal, even after recouping your business startup costs. But the better you invest in marketing yourself up front, the more that will return in sales. And I'm specifically using the term better because it doesn't just mean spending more money.

You can go out and talk to wedding planners and venues that hire DJs and ask them where they've seen pricing. It's a good way to introduce yourself, do some market research, and start making valuable connections in the industry. Also, don't hesitate to join a local DJ group, many exist on facebook. I've gotten a solid amount of work over the years just by being available and being able to pick up in an emergency.

You really should be starting at $400-$500 per night. Don't make the mistake of trying to ramp up on $25/hr mentality. You're going to find that the cheaper you are, the worse they're going to abuse you. Also, keep in mind that it's seasonal. You'll have nothing Jan-Mar then in May-June and Sep-Oct you'll be working 2-3 per weekend. You can't sit back and just expect to cherry pick only jobs that you want to take. You're going to have to be prepared to hustle when the gigs are there and not panic when they're not. Just don't make the mistake of wasting your time over peanuts.

This is most definitely a part time thing. I would be ecstatic to get 1-2 gigs a month! I'm not trying to make a career out of it. Already spent the last ten years building one of those at the day job! Lol This started out as a hobby that has kinda grown into a way to make some extra cash.

Yeah thats how it started for me... doing it for fun... extra money here and there, etc. Now its a full time job, 70 events a year, providing work for about 9 people, and a take home salary that allows me to live a comfortable life at the moment. If you do something well and are dedicated, don't be surprised if it becomes bigger than expected.

I'd like to say he SHOULD start at $400 to $500 per night, but in reality, he is just starting out, and in the North Carolina market which probably has at least 100 other DJs within a 50 mile radius of his residence who are all experienced, and willing to do 4 hour shows on Saturday for $300 to $400.

He has no reviews, and really videos/pics to showcase of previous work. If he trys to sell at $400 to $500 I think he won't book anything unless it's a friend of a Friend with a strong referral.

I dunno his market, but he is probably within driving distance of Myrtle Beach, SCand talking with some DJs down there, I know the hotels down there from time to time bring in DJs for small shows, and they pay like $125 to $250 a show. It is a drive, but might be worth trying to establish some relationships down that way to get some work booked.

Regular rates probably need to start around $250 for 4 hours for parties, and after a while maybe do some introductory weddings for $400 or so.

I have worked with photographers who drove up from NC to the DC area just to get decent paying work...They came in at prices lower than DC photographers and were willing to make the long drive for the money! If the market is that tough down there, I suspect it's rough for DJs.