Weddings Pricing policy and methods for disclosing rates

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
But...

I hate this the most...

They inquire and give you everything you need. You give them a quote, they agree, they wanna meet with you. We all meet. Then they are still shopping around :sqconfused:...

Or they say "Well, you're the first DJ we've met and we have an apppointment with others, can you give us a week" :sqconfused:

Now, first all. The price quote I offered was in your budget. Why not book? Maybe we didn't click?

I prefer not to be the first they meet with. Rather 3 or 4th.

Advice?

I don't see what the problem is. Even with all the info and a quote that is within their budget, why should it bother you if they don't sign at the meeting or if they want a bit more time?

And this is just in general, but a quote is nothing more than words on a piece of paper. Those words are only as good as the person giving them. So why wouldn't a couple want to meet their potential DJ first before signing?

I hate this the most...

They inquire and give you everything you need. You give them a quote, they agree, they wanna meet with you. We all meet. Then they are still shopping around :sqconfused:...

Or they say "Well, you're the first DJ we've met and we have an apppointment with others, can you give us a week" :sqconfused:

Now, first all. The price quote I offered was in your budget. Why not book? Maybe we didn't click?

Advice?

Most of my contacts are by email or phone I don't usually meet until they are ready to sign or after so I guess it's easier for me.

I encourage folks to shop around. I tell them what I offer, the price, refer them to my website and Facebook group, and then send them on to check out others. If I have done my job correctly they will come back to me if not, or if they are looking strictly on price, then they will go elsewhere

I hate this the most...

Advice?

Well here are a few suggestions to try so instances like that can be reduced. Its all in qualifying your buyer.
1. When setting the appointment ask questions such as "If all your questions and concerns are answered, would you be prepared to enter into an agreement the day we meet?"
2. Mention a small discount for PIF/Down Payment on the First meeting.
3. "Is there anyone other than yourself who will be a party to this agreement?" If the answer to this is "Yes" then make sure you will be meeting with that other person too. They need to bring them to the appointment.
4. Always ask for the order..."Mary, how will you be paying for this down payment, by check, credit card.....cash?" .......Shut up and wait for an answer!

Sometimes they sign on the spot, sometimes they think about it and then call back, sometimes we never hear from them again....

That's the nature of the business. I've always thought that it's a great idea to shop around. At the same time, I love when they decide to sign on the spot. If we're what they want, they tend to look no further. If we're not quite what they're looking for, they'll keep looking. There's nothing to get annoyed about. If you're wondering, just ask them what they're looking for in a DJ.

I've never asked for a sale, and my closing ratio is about as good as it gets. I have no problem letting them go to meet with other guys.

If they don't go with you in the end, there's only two possibilities:

1) They were shopping on price alone and went with someone lower. You don't want them as a client anyway, and you didn't stand a chance, so don't sweat it.

and/or

2) You didn't communicate your value well-enough.

Since I don't mind losing based on price, and since I know I excel at communicating my value for my price, I have nothing to worry about in letting them go. If they're right for me, they'll be back!

I suppose there really is a 3rd option/scenario, but I'm assuming you have all your teeth and don't smell funny.

I know this will spark sharp debate but here's a question for those that do post their rates:

If you have two systems that are uniquely different, oh let's say for S&G's a Bose system and a conventional setup, would you want to post more than one package price say one for Elegance and one for Chest Pounding Thump?

I have a basic setup that is used regardless of type of event. I offer several upgrades to that system. If you want to add my small (single tripod) light show, add $195. If you want to add my large (truss style) light show, add $295. If you want to move up from a single 700 watt sub to two 1500 watt subs add $145.

I've never asked for a sale, and my closing ratio is about as good as it gets. I have no problem letting them go to meet with other guys.

If they don't go with you in the end, there's only two possibilities:

1) They were shopping on price alone and went with someone lower. You don't want them as a client anyway, and you didn't stand a chance, so don't sweat it.

and/or

2) You didn't communicate your value well-enough.

Since I don't mind losing based on price, and since I know I excel at communicating my value for my price, I have nothing to worry about in letting them go. If they're right for me, they'll be back!

I suppose there really is a 3rd option/scenario, but I'm assuming you have all your teeth and don't smell funny.

There is a 3rd option: You just don't click with them. It could be a personality difference, age, or something else. That something else is the indescribable part. I called up some DJs recently in helping a good friend of mine find one for her wedding. (I'm just such a nice bridesmaid.) There was one DJ who just didn't click with me over the phone. His rates and equipment were on par with the others, but we just didn't click. It happens.

I shop around for EVERYTHING and there's no reason why it would be different for Wedding DJ's, photographers, etc...the last thing you want to do is be that used car salesman i.e. "What's it gonna take for you to sign today?" To me that smacks of desperation, raises a warning flag and I'm outta there. I meet with the couple go over everything and make it clear that there is no obligation to sign anything. If I do my job and come off as confident, knowledgeable, and professional they usually always sign on that day. But different strokes for different folks :)

And this is just in general, but a quote is nothing more than words on a piece of paper. Those words are only as good as the person giving them. So why wouldn't a couple want to meet their potential DJ first before signing?

Now THAT I can TOTALLY agree with.

Brides will want to see their venue before booking it...right?

Brides will want to see examples of a photographer's portfolio before booking them in most cases, yes?

Brides will surely try on their gown before buying it...correct?

Here's the difference....Those are all tangible items that the bride gets to have or view or experience BEFORE their wedding day.

She can't TRY ON her entertainment/DJ ahead of time. We provide an intangible service.

I encourage ANY bride who calls me to at least see video footage of the prospective DJ performing at an event ahead of time and to have a face to face with them IF entertainment is important to them. Some brides it is...and some brides it's not. That's OK.

If having a fun and memorable reception is important to them then we need to meet. If it's not as important then they probably aren't my client and that's OK too.

Thanks for the thread Jim! Great insight!

There is a 3rd option: You just don't click with them. It could be a personality difference, age, or something else. That something else is the indescribable part. I called up some DJs recently in helping a good friend of mine find one for her wedding. (I'm just such a nice bridesmaid.) There was one DJ who just didn't click with me over the phone. His rates and equipment were on par with the others, but we just didn't click. It happens.

Totally agree with this too Ducky. I just met with a couple for their wedding on October 23rd this year. We didn't click. I cut the meeting shorter than normal and thanked them for their time and wished them well while still maintaining professionalism. I knew that if they called back asking to book that I would simply tell them that I was already reserved for their date in the interim.

Now THAT I can TOTALLY agree with.

Brides will want to see their venue before booking it...right?

Brides will want to see examples of a photographer's portfolio before booking them in most cases, yes?

Brides will surely try on their gown before buying it...correct?

Here's the difference....Those are all tangible items that the bride gets to have or view or experience BEFORE their wedding day.

She can't TRY ON her entertainment/DJ ahead of time. We provide an intangible service.

I encourage ANY bride who calls me to at least see video footage of the prospective DJ performing at an event ahead of time and to have a face to face with them IF entertainment is important to them. Some brides it is...and some brides it's not. That's OK.

If having a fun and memorable reception is important to them then we need to meet. If it's not as important then they probably aren't my client and that's OK too.

Thanks for the thread Jim! Great insight!

Although not tangible, personality is part of what sells a DJ, and that can be conveyed somewhat over the phone and definitely in person.

You're right. That is a possibility... and that kind of falls in with number 3 I alluded to above.. :)

Nice thread...

I don't post rates, just say that I am not the cheapest and will earn every penny of my fee.

Yet for some STUPID reason... get this. A lead for 10/10/10 in DC and wanted coverage for ceremony/cocktails/dinner/dancing AND projector for slide show. I asked what kind of budget she was working with. $300 was her reply. Even the local bottom feeding scum charges more than that here. I told her had I been open, the rate would have STARTED around $2600.

I got an inquiry last week and they asked rate. Well, after a few follow up questions, I said my typical rate for that service was $2600 (same as above minus the projector). But could probably offer my 2009 rate to lock in. Well, we met this past Saturday and booked on the spot for $2250. I did say this should have been the former quote as some additional work was involved but was sticking to the lower rate mentioned. They have a fun event planned.

During the emails, she said I was on the high side but believes in paying for quality.

So in a nutshell, I typically quote a base 'starting at' which gives me wiggle room once I have more details. No special formula but try to keep fair and objective. Not overcharging if I know they are affluent but at least somewhat consistent.

Note, some venues I have a standard rate for. I do allow for *some* wiggling but as a rule, it works out very well.

I don't post rates online - and we tend to talk with the client before we provide a rate. Why? Because we work with a specific type of client - not just anyone with a checkbook. Our rates are about 3-4 times the market average. I charge as much to do a ceremony as many in my market charge for a reception.

As for the unlimited time, etc - yes, there are some of us that do that. Why? Because I won't go to a bride/groom 20 minutes out from the end and say... "I know you've had a great party thus far and it's time to either wrap it up or push for a little longer. What do you want to do? Oh, you want to go for another hour? No problem, cut me a check."

It's the same reason I don't collect final payment on the same day as the event (with some rare exceptions). I was burned once with a hot check and as a result I simply don't do that any more.

And now... I don't ever disclose rates. ;) I have someone that works in my office full time to handle all the incoming leads (which is currently over 3000 a year) and she takes care of it.

BTW, Jim Horn and I are pretty good friends... and we've been to see each other perform many times. We're some of the higher priced DJ's on the Gulf Coast and I'm going to be raising my rates in a few months...