School & Teen Events Pre Approved song list for schools? Chaperone ratio?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

IceBurghDJ

DJ Extraordinaire
Apr 17, 2015
Western Pennsylvania
iceburghdj.com
IN another forum it was asked about songs for school dances - content (words) and concepts (sex, etc).

A DJ posted that he has in his contract 3 chaperones PLUS one more for every 10 kids. Wow.

And that he MUST have a pre approved song list signed by the person in charge of the dance and usually the principal also.
The kids, parents or whomever can make the list, but every song must be OK'd - and he will not take requests unless they are on that list.

Anyone else do this? Is it necessary or perhaps a good idea? "I only play songs you approve!" sorta thing?

I think it's a great idea - brings the kids and the school together. Usually, the school does not like the kids idea of music and the kids don't like the schools idea of music, so it allows input from both parties. I would proceed with your input as well - you are the professional and should rebuke some songs that the kids say are ok but you know are questionable. The school generally will not review each song the kids ask for - they will rely on you.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
A lot depends on the ages of the audience. I've found for "senior" only events (I used to do the local high school post-prom event) .. they really did not care. For sports events where parents and younger children might be attending, someone wanted to make sure the edits were at least radio friendly. I assume a general school dance is in that same category.

This the reason I quit doing schools, when I started getting complaints from teachers/ parents for playing the exact same edit that was on the radio it became far too time consuming to prep for these gigs

I have been doing high schools dances forever! One being a Catholic high school. I have learned what I can and can not play. I do not require a certain number of chaperones. They trust me to play the music they want to be played. I also know when to change the genre or speed of the music to "make room for the holy spirit" as they call it! It helps too that I graduated from that catholic high school, so I knew what they expect.
Being a smaller high school it helps as well. They breath test every student as they enter and before they leave.

I avoid school dances like the plague. There's no way to win. If you do all must-plays, usually picked out by a committee, then the songs stink and the kids hate you. If you allow requests, the admin goes nuts over any and everything. I won't even quote them anymore.

Reactions: SEDJ and ittigger
My first school dance was a catholic gradeschool (grades 7 and 8). I made a list and got no complaints..so I'm assuming I'm OK on that.
But as I set up the person in charge comes over and asks if I can play some TuPac...WTF? really? Really - they're studying his lyrics in english class as poetry.

I have a 15 yr old son and 12 yr old daughter and I do a 'dance party' for her and her friends for her birthday, and I share (now) apple music (was spotify) so I know what the kids listen to...

There should be NO complaints from the schools...really! Just go watch what the cheerleaders and such use for songs.

Just wondering how popular this idea is or should I offer it?
Easy enough to spew a list from VDJ on what I've played at other school dances, maybe add the top songs today (heathens is one they kids want..even had to play it 2 weddings ago..a bit of a downer IMO).

I have been doing high schools dances forever! One being a Catholic high school. I have learned what I can and can not play. I do not require a certain number of chaperones. They trust me to play the music they want to be played. I also know when to change the genre or speed of the music to "make room for the holy spirit" as they call it! It helps too that I graduated from that catholic high school, so I knew what they expect.
Being a smaller high school it helps as well. They breath test every student as they enter and before they leave.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
It really depends on the school. I did a prom for 180 students in April, and played edited songs with no problems. I had input from the students on it. I even played Hood Go Crazy by Tech N9ne since they requested it in their initial list, an no teacher or parent even complained. Nobody was really "bumping and grinding" at the prom so maybe that's why nobody said anything. I am doing a homecoming for a much larger school (2100 student school) and the admins said that they will stop the dance if they deem the songs inappropriate. I am waiting to see what I get from the students as far as what they want to hear, and then play it "safe". As long as it has been played on the radio, and I play the radio edits, that is my initial defense. If they still don't like it, then I will have to do more prep work with the students and admin in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: IceBurghDJ