Pioneer DDJ-400 2-Channel DJ Controller for Rekordbox DJ

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Bobcat

DJ Extraordinerror
Nov 8, 2014
Oklahoma City
ddj-400-main.png

Looks like a good way to venture into Rekorbox???... I've been wanting to try Rekordbox, but it won't run on my Pioneer DDJ-T1. This new controller looks like it might work.. whatta you think?

Pioneer DDJ-400

No interest in Rekordbox .. I have too many apps as it is and locked apps annoy me :(

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
No interest in Rekordbox .. I have too many apps as it is and locked apps annoy me :(

I have no plans to replace my Denon MC6000MK2's and Traktor with Rekordbox, but the more I read about Rekordbox, the more it intrigues me. A nice little entry level system like the DDJ-400 might be fun to play around with?:laugh:

If it will work with the other apps, it's probably a decent basic unit.

Only issue might be that it's listed as bus powered .. seems a lot of current draw for a bus powered device.

If it will work with the other apps, it's probably a decent basic unit.
I like the size... About the same dimensions as the MC6000MK2, but just a little too wide to fit in a 19" rack. As for working with other apps???... Too soon to say, but I'd bet VDJ will work on it soon.:)

I've never liked the way Pio effects make you switch channels on the effect unit to determine what channel you're on. Even on their flagship stuff like the DJM-900 Nexus... the effects sound great, but I tend to make mistake in using them.

I really love the S9 with the giant toggle switches that are super channel specific. (and now the Rane 72 using that same method). And even on the SZ, I like that my I can assign my channels with one bank or the other.

But if you want to get comfy on Pio's club style gear... this is a pretty inexpensive way to learn how to use it.

Why is that an issue??? Is it because of battery life?
No, because it can damage a USB port electronics if it tries to continuously pull more than the port was designed for. This should have had a small wall wart supply .. or you can use a powered USB hub to be safe. A USB 3.0 port might be OK ...

Heaven help us if you get this "a little too wide to fit in a 19" rack" controller and start re-moding your rigs AGAIN! People are starting to question the scars on my wrists.

LOL... No worries.[emoji1] If I got one; and that's a BIG IF... it would just be to play with. I'm pretty happy (and comfortable) with my Denon MC6000MK2's for the professional stuff.[emoji1]

... That's not to say I might not switch to something else someday if I stay in the business another 3-4 years.[emoji1]

Reactions: ittigger
I'd suspect the audio quality on your Denon is actually better than this DDJ-400. Over on the Serato Forum, many are not happy with the sound of Pioneer's low end controller's. However, what it does have (like most new controllers) are the "Performance Pads", which if assignable, are actually very cool - especially if you're a frustrated closet drummer.

Heaven help us if you get this "a little too wide to fit in a 19" rack" controller and start re-moding your rigs AGAIN! People are starting to question the scars on my wrists.

Been thinkin' about it, and I've decided that if I hooked the DDJ-400 up to one of these COMPRESSOR thingys...

dbx 266XS Compressor

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NDFRVC/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_GppnBbJR1X52B

... I MIGHT just be able to COMPRESS it down the inch or two I need to SQUEEZE it into my rack???[emoji1]

Last edited: