Pin Spot for Cake

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Albatross

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Sep 7, 2016
I've been asked to provide pin spotting for a cake. What fixtures do you guys use for this?

Reactions: Albatross
For the magnetic ones, and X Clip fixtures... do you need a ladder to get to the ceiling? Or is there a way to put them up and take them down without getting to ceiling height?

For the magnetic ones, and X Clip fixtures... do you need a ladder to get to the ceiling? Or is there a way to put them up and take them down without getting to ceiling height?
I'm sure something could be made to hold them for placement .. the issue is adjusting them to hit the right spot .. that will still require a ladder in most cases.

Reactions: Albatross

I've always done cake shots from floor stands. Climbing ladders is for the birds.

Reactions: ittigger
I've always done cake shots from floor stands. Climbing ladders is for the birds.
Might work for a cake .. tough if you needed to spot each table or many of the tables.

Agreed - but the OP was specifically asking for cake. +1 for using floor stands.
It's tougher to get the stand out of the way for pictures. Most of the cake setups I've seen are sort of stranded near the dance floor. A light stand nearby would probably be in the photos unless you placed it farther away .. then you get a wider beam. Magnetic mount to the ceiling seems to get them out of the way.

It's tougher to get the stand out of the way for pictures. Most of the cake setups I've seen are sort of stranded near the dance floor. A light stand nearby would probably be in the photos unless you placed it farther away .. then you get a wider beam. Magnetic mount to the ceiling seems to get them out of the way.

90% of the cakes around here are on a table, near a wall. Find a 20-30ft throw, drop a stand and you're golden. In the case of a cake in the middle of the dance floor, I break out a Source Four Jr Zoon and hit it from a distance.