Interactive DJs party games for Holiday party

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Ausumm

Gold Plated Productions
Oct 21, 2008
Bethlehem PA
got a few Holiday parties that will require extra interaction.
one is a company party for adults
and the coordinator was worried that people won't dance (typical company party) so she was asking for a few non-childish games to get them involved
the other is for a home-nursing provider, where they have invited patients, nurses, and their families...and wanted to keep the kids busy.
obviously I'd like to not have to invest in alot of props for these games.
any help would be great!

thanks in advance!

I like Team Poker
Investment: Cheap decks of playing cards. Enough decks so every attendee gets 1 card. Plus one additional deck.

Prizes: 7 batches of 5 identical prizes. 5 Lottery Tickets, 5 pieces of bubblegum, 5 tootsie pops, 5 Presidential dollar coins, 5 diamond tennis bracelets, whatever. Prizes are wrapped so the actual prize cannot be identified

Prior to the party the names of 7 poker hands (Two Pair - Three of a Kind - Straight - Flush - Full House - Four of a Kind - Straight Flush) - etc. are written on slips of paper and put in a bag.

Upon guest arrival, each guest picks one playing card from a well shuffled, face down deck, (Use as many decks as needed, Jokers removed) Guest is told to hold onto that card for the rest of the evening. No more explanation is given to the guests at that time.

Periodically through the party the host picks a poker hand name out of the bag and announces it. Guests have a short time period (say 20 sec) to mix with other guests, compare cards, make a hand and come out on the dance floor as a team (all 5 on the floor)

When the 20 sec is up, (use your buzzer sound effect) no more hands can be formed, nobody else can come to the dance floor. The host then checks and announces each hand. (Hands must be exact. Do not accept a Full House for Three Of A Kind).

Only the team holding the best hand is allowed to choose one of the wrapped prize packages.

If hands are tied, use the extra deck to allow each tied team to cut the deck for a winning card.

At the end of each hand collect the cards from the winning team (so winning cards cannot be used to win again).

EDIT: Whenever games are included I specify in my contract that the client provides the prizes. Hope you did that too, especially if you decide to give away diamond tennis bracelets.

When she says non-childish games does she mean adult oriented? A bit risque without being obsene?

Attachments

• TheHen\'sParty1.wmv
    4 MB · Views: 48
  • TheHen\'sParty1.wmv
    4 MB · Views: 48
Bill I use this very game thanks for sharing. I also bought extra Large cards for identification purposes. Easier to see from around the room. I got my decks at the dollar store.

I just had a client ask for gambling games for this Saturday's party. Thanks Bill, that will work just fine. Anymore?

Bill,
When you say don't except a full house for 3 of a kind what do you mean? If you call for a 3 of a kind hand what else are you looking for? Three 6's and any other two cards?

Periodically through the party the host picks a poker hand name out of the bag and announces it. Guests have a short time period (say 20 sec) to mix with other guests, compare cards, make a hand and come out on the dance floor as a team (all 5 on the floor)
What is the purpose of picking a poker hand name?

I said "adult" because this particular party will not include kids.
dont really know if they're gonna be "game" for risque games
I'll have to wait and see
but any idea I can have in advance is more ammunition for me!
thanks for ALL the suggestions...
any additional ideas would be great!

I just had a client ask for gambling games for this Saturday's party. Thanks Bill, that will work just fine. Anymore?

Bill,
When you say don't except a full house for 3 of a kind what do you mean? If you call for a 3 of a kind hand what else are you looking for? Three 6's and any other two cards?

I mean accept only the hand that was drawn out of the bag. Right, three of a kind should be three 6's and two other cards BUT, not 2 queens because that would be a full house, not three of a kind. I explain this before I announce the hand I'm looking for. If a team presents a full house when three of a kind was called for I try to make a big joke about paying attention and tell all 5 of them to go sit down.

What is the purpose of picking a poker hand name?
I think you mean picking it out of the bag?
I have the host do that just to make the selection of hand random. Nobody knows what is coming up next so they've only got 20 seconds to find 4 other team mates. If you automatically followed two pair with three of a kind then full house, some people would be making up their next hand team as soon as the previous hand was over.

Does this answer your questions?

Does this answer your questions?
Thanks Bill,
I was a bit confused (as I normally am) when you said the best hand on the floor wins. The only ones on the floor should be those who form the hand that was called out? If there are two teams with the same hand then high card should win? If they happen to be the exact hand then cut the deck?

I think I've got it.

I just bought 2 decks to a pack at the dollar store. I got them for a great price.

I mean accept only the hand that was drawn out of the bag. Right, three of a kind should be three 6's and two other cards BUT, not 2 queens because that would be a full house,
I don't mean to get technical here but I know someone will challenge this. Gambling, even for fun, can get nasty.

If you call out 3 of a kind and they show up with 3 - 6's, the other two cards don't really matter as long as they have 3 of a kind.

I suppose you just need to adjust this game a bit to fit the crowd.

Thanks again.

I don't mean to get technical here but I know someone will challenge this. Gambling, even for fun, can get nasty.

If you call out 3 of a kind and they show up with 3 - 6's, the other two cards don't really matter as long as they have 3 of a kind.

I suppose you just need to adjust this game a bit to fit the crowd.

Well, the other cards do matter because they may make the difference in hands that both have three 6's. For big parties you'll be using more than one deck so that so that could occur. One hand has three 6's and a 9 and a jack and the other hand has three 6's and a 4 and a queen. Queen high hand wins according to Hoyle.

I have run this game more times than I can remember and so far everyone was in if for fun. Nobody got nasty .... yet. Could happen and you're absolutely right, I'd adjust to fit the crowd. Gotta keep my DJing gigs fun or I ain't doing it.

Thanks Bill,

I've had people get pissed over simple trivia. They had the right answer but were not the first in front of me to give it. They wanted a prize anyway. Adults, go figure?

I'm going to try it just they way you have it set. I found the same game on a team building website. It's sounds like a blast.

When she says non-childish games does she mean adult oriented? A bit risque without being obsene?

Some people might call that obscene but it was still damned funny. I justed about passed out from laughing so hard. My next door neighbour actually heard me when i was laughing so hard I started crying and came over to ask me if I was ok. :sqwink::sqembarrassed:

thanks for that i really needed something to break up the stressful month i've been having. :)

-James

I've done this game with pool cues and beer bottles...funny as heck

You could also do the scanvenger hunt game that always works well

All I can say is dont drag it on for ever, I attended one that the DJ played who let the dogs out for 15 minutes while people tried to pass a bone between their legs, and then he later on played Jepardy for another 15min while some "Interactive" lady asked stupid questions...
Remember its not how long your interactive for, its how effective you are...

Good Point.
Adults get bored real fast. Go for the quick thrill, cheap laughs, and move on. 15 minutes would certainly be a limit, after that no one cares.

I tried doing a face off trivia at a family party yesterday. One person got up. I asked three times then gave the prize to the guy who got up. I packed in the game and moved on.

That Reminds me, it was the same crap for the door prize, He made everyone do all this junk, and then in the end he says, well its the shortest person at the table that gets it... Like passing the napkin, keys etc is cool, but having people choose the "Wildest Party Animal" and the "Most Responsible" and then getting them to do the macarina for like 5 min is ridiculous... Just pass a few things around the table, say a short story where "Every time I say Right, Pass the Item right and Every time I Say left, Pass the Item Left" Keep it simple, 2 min top for that kinda stuff, no more then 5...

One of the things Ive found that works to get people going is ...how to get volunteers...so I pick someone who will be immune to the first contest or game....they pick a guy or gal. This person then picks someone usually a guy if its a gal...rotate this.

Do be cautious when it comes to the games you use as some can be a little to naughty for a company party....know the crowd

When many kids are present I like to play simon says....my way....

Explain to the kids that if I catch you doing it wrong you have to come help me catch others...do a couple rounds to get a few kids with you then lay the fun on...then say (when you have a good sized group yet) Simon says to jump in the air....when they all come down go....ohhhhhh your all out of the game... Wait for it....wait for it...Simon never said to come down....

Ask the kids if they want to play again...they usually do then we turn up the real fun...simon says clap your hands once....simon says go to the audience and bring someone back with you...dance floor now filling....simon says laugh out loud.....simon says go get someone new and bring them to the dance floor.....now if you have folks in wheel chairs its ok this is simple to do in a wheel chair

Full floor...simon says clap your hands once....simon says put your right arm up in the air and hold it.....simon says put your left arm in the air and hold it....simon says smile....simon says your ready to CHICKEN DANCE....groans and laughter to follow.....but it works really well

thanks for all the suggestions
had the kids party this Saturday
and it was mostly kids with some sort of disability
so didn't really get to do any games
the adult party Saturday nite
had a few comedians, so didn't need to kill any time

thanks again!