Outdoor events

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Had a call from the planner on my other outdoor event (5/26). They want me to setup on a concrete patio, no covering. She called to discuss rain plan and was trying the "oh, there's only a 20% chance of rain", even though it's still 10 days out. I ended up telling her that if there's zero percent chance of rain that I'm willing to setup in the open but, if there's any chance of rain then they either have to provide a tent (covering) or they have to let me move to an alternate location (there's a building with an overhang). She kept trying to wiggle out of it but I kept nailing her with "it's in my contract that it's the client's responsibility". To be honest, I'm pretty worn out with this one. This client has pestered me more than 20 others, combined. She even alluded to the fact that she was being a pest (she brought it up, not me) in an earlier email. I'll be glad when this one is in the books.
If you go by that, does your contract state what reference or source you use to get that forecast from? What if your forecast reads differently than your client's and its enough to make different determinations according to your contract?

If you go by that, does your contract state what reference or source you use to get that forecast from? What if your forecast reads differently than your client's and its enough to make different determinations according to your contract?

No, it doesn't. Bottom line, my CONTRACT says that I WILL be covered by the client. I told the planner, verbally, that if it's clear then I'll setup outside. If anybody wants to be pissy I can always revert back to the contract and require covering.

You seem to express that sentiment on a pretty regular basis about DJing. I know you're moving slowly that way, but it sounds like you're not really finding the joy in the work. We all have grinding gigs, but is this something you still want to pursue?

I'm just damned tired and entirely stressed out. I have to keep up the DJ/photog stuff, because it's a substantial piece of our income and I have kids entering college. I like the job when it's normal stress. When I get one of these worrisome brides, who also has a worrisome planner, any joy just gets sucked right out the door.

Reactions: Albatross
Rick, I feel your pain. Outdoor events do increase stress levels. I have it in my contract as well and stress it at every outdoor events. I take a similiar approach to you and stress it wit the client in almost every e-mail and conversation. When we get to the final meeting and they have not addressed it; I directly ask "do they have a tent or coverage for me" and even sometimes get the "dear in the headlight look". Let's be honest; it's not just rain.. outdoor summer events.. people do have them and in the summer sun..

I had one this past weekend no rain issue; but the wind was so strong it blew one of the 3 chandeliers loose and starting bringing down the interior ceiling of the tent (this tent had an interior ceiling to hide the superstructure. This happened when the ceremony was going on in the church about 1/5 mile away. The assistant planners did not want to call the tent company; because the lead planner set all that up. She couldn't be reached because she was at the wedding.

Last edited:
My conditional experiences with frequent outdoor events is threefold: access, power, and protection.

From the first meeting until the final meeting, these conditions are reiterated with direct references to the three contract clauses that clearly defines needs, expectations, and ramifications.

Access:
X. Access to Venue. The CUSTOMER must insure and provide CCENT immediate, free, public, unencumbered, and non-hazardous access into, through, and out of the parking area, facility, and work space. CCENT reserves all rights to delay or discontinue setup and/or performance until all access or setup hazards, encumbrances, unforeseen union, drayage, and/or management fees or surcharges, weather related hazards, code violations, safety issues, and/or environmental conditions until such issues are cleared, paid, removed, and/or resolved.

Explanation: This covers you from multiple issues most of them created by non-caring or arrogant banquet hall staff or policies. Also gives you the right to refuse loading dock, kitchen only, or slave quarters entrance policies. Be confident in this clause, which allows you to maintain a James Bond-like coolness.

Power:
XI. Electrical Requirements. The CUSTOMER agrees that they will ensure that CCENT will be provided with one 115 volt 20 amp duplex-grounded electrical outlet at the Venue, and that the circuit will be free of any additional connected electrical devices. In addition, the CUSTOMER will ensure that floor outlets will be protected and covered to be hazard free, and that any extension cords will be located and positioned within ten feet of CCENT’s setup. CUSTOMER provided extension cords (whether by the CUSTOMER or arranged through the Venue operator) must be minimally 3 –conductor 14-gauge wire, shall not exceed 25 feet in length, and must be safely installed, attached, and secured in advance of CCENT’s arrival.

Explanation: If you need specific power, spell it out.

Protection:
XII. CCENT’s Workspace. The CUSTOMER agrees that it will ensure that CCENT is provided a workspace with dimensions not less than 8 feet deep and 10 feet wide. For outdoor events only, the CUSTOMER must provide the CCENT a platform, stage, or riser, the minimum dimensions being 10 feet deep, 12 feet wide, and 4 or more inches tall, and shall provide complete protection from all weather related elements such as, but not limited to, wind, water, and sun, from overhead, underneath, and all sides.

Explanation: If you need a defined work space, then define it. Here is the perfect place to add your specific OUTDOOR event demands.

Ramifications:
XIX. Conditions At The Event. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the CUSTOMER acknowledges and agrees that for the purposes of sections X, XI, XII, XIV, XVI, XVII, and XVIII, the CUSTOMER shall be responsible for the actions of all vendors hired by the CUSTOMERS for the Event, including but not limited to vendors hired by the Event venue or guests attending the event.

Explanation: No tent, riser, power, invasive bridal consultants, clueless wedding planners, rookie banquet managers? The customer is the sole decision maker.

My conditional experiences with frequent outdoor events is threefold: access, power, and protection.

From the first meeting until the final meeting, these conditions are reiterated with direct references to the three contract clauses that clearly defines needs, expectations, and ramifications.

Access:
X. Access to Venue. The CUSTOMER must insure and provide CCENT immediate, free, public, unencumbered, and non-hazardous access into, through, and out of the parking area, facility, and work space. CCENT reserves all rights to delay or discontinue setup and/or performance until all access or setup hazards, encumbrances, unforeseen union, drayage, and/or management fees or surcharges, weather related hazards, code violations, safety issues, and/or environmental conditions until such issues are cleared, paid, removed, and/or resolved.

Explanation: This covers you from multiple issues most of them created by non-caring or arrogant banquet hall staff or policies. Also gives you the right to refuse loading dock, kitchen only, or slave quarters entrance policies. Be confident in this clause, which allows you to maintain a James Bond-like coolness.

Power:
XI. Electrical Requirements. The CUSTOMER agrees that they will ensure that CCENT will be provided with one 115 volt 20 amp duplex-grounded electrical outlet at the Venue, and that the circuit will be free of any additional connected electrical devices. In addition, the CUSTOMER will ensure that floor outlets will be protected and covered to be hazard free, and that any extension cords will be located and positioned within ten feet of CCENT’s setup. CUSTOMER provided extension cords (whether by the CUSTOMER or arranged through the Venue operator) must be minimally 3 –conductor 14-gauge wire, shall not exceed 25 feet in length, and must be safely installed, attached, and secured in advance of CCENT’s arrival.

Protection:
XII. CCENT’s Workspace. The CUSTOMER agrees that it will ensure that CCENT is provided a workspace with dimensions not less than 8 feet deep and 10 feet wide. For outdoor events only, the CUSTOMER must provide the CCENT a platform, stage, or riser, the minimum dimensions being 10 feet deep, 12 feet wide, and 4 or more inches tall, and shall provide complete protection from all weather related elements such as, but not limited to, wind, water, and sun, from overhead, underneath, and all sides.

Explanation: If you need a defined work space, then define it. Here is the perfect place to add your specific OUTDOOR event demands.

Ramifications:
XIX. Conditions At The Event. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the CUSTOMER acknowledges and agrees that for the purposes of sections X, XI, XII, XIV, XVI, XVII, and XVIII, the CUSTOMER shall be responsible for the actions of all vendors hired by the CUSTOMERS for the Event, including but not limited to vendors hired by the Event venue or guests attending the event.

Explanation: No tent, riser, power, invasive bridal consultants, clueless wedding planners, rookie banquet managers? The customer is the sole decision maker.

That is PURE GOLD. Thank you, Cap.

Access:

Power:

Protection:

Ramifications:

Just a language issue ... in Access to Venue .. it should be ensure, not insure. It's correct in the others.

I don't have a problem with rain, it's just a fact of life and you have to deal with it in any kind of work.
The sun can be far more problematic so, that is the reason to carry your own pop-up.

My equipment will still operate in the rain, it's simply a matter of designing the right cases. The real problem is that no one in the audience is going to stick around to party in the rain.

I don't have a problem with rain, it's just a fact of life and you have to deal with it in any kind of work.
The sun can be far more problematic so, that is the reason to carry your own pop-up.

My equipment will still operate in the rain, it's simply a matter of designing the right cases. The real problem is that no one in the audience is going to stick around to party in the rain.

Its not about operating in the rain that bothers me I've done it before its making sure the equipment doesn't get wet. Water and electronics don't mix well

Reactions: DJ Mikey Disco
Bring an ez up and charge for it..it's in my contract - THEY provide cover or I will..for a fee of course.

Had a call from the planner on my other outdoor event (5/26). They want me to setup on a concrete patio, no covering. She called to discuss rain plan and was trying the "oh, there's only a 20% chance of rain", even though it's still 10 days out. I ended up telling her that if there's zero percent chance of rain that I'm willing to setup in the open but, if there's any chance of rain then they either have to provide a tent (covering) or they have to let me move to an alternate location (there's a building with an overhang). She kept trying to wiggle out of it but I kept nailing her with "it's in my contract that it's the client's responsibility". To be honest, I'm pretty worn out with this one. This client has pestered me more than 20 others, combined. She even alluded to the fact that she was being a pest (she brought it up, not me) in an earlier email. I'll be glad when this one is in the books.

Reactions: DJ TJ and DJ Bobcat
I don't know .. I can set up my 10x10 pop-up in a few minutes and take it down just as quick (though a pain to take down if it's wet). I bring one for most outdoor events ..as Pro said, more for sun protection. I need to find a replacement canopy, as I store it with the canopy on, and that tends to pull on the fabric and I have a few pin holes.