Out of Curiosity

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Nothing wrong with them .. I have Chauvet, ADJ and Blizzard lights, but you'd never see them on a tour, in an arena or similar. They are what they are.

Yeah... DJ LIGHTS!!!... You know???... for DJ’s to use.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah... DJ LIGHTS!!!... You know???... for DJ’s to use.[emoji1]

Yes they are .. just not for a "professional" light guy to use ...

i dig A in black... i think white uplights kinda stand out more and defeat the purpose of being inconspicuous other than the light beam

im thinking about going with 10 chinese uplights myself this year... still debating

cc

Reactions: steve149
i dig A in black... i think white uplights kinda stand out more and defeat the purpose of being inconspicuous other than the light beam

im thinking about going with 10 chinese uplights myself this year... still debating

cc

I think the white has it’s place, but normally I think the black disappears better in a darkened room, and all you tend to see is the beam/stream of light. If the room is already pretty bright, and the uplights are not intended to be as prominent, then the white looks better. I think @steve149 should get a dozen or so of each.[emoji1] I also think he should buck up and buy the REAL DEAL, rather than cheap Chinese knock-offs.[emoji1]

Reactions: djcrazychris
I think the white has it’s place, but normally I think the black disappears better in a darkened room, and all you tend to see is the beam/stream of light. If the room is already pretty bright, and the uplights are not intended to be as prominent, then the white looks better. I think @steve149 should get a dozen or so of each.[emoji1] I also think he should buck up and buy the REAL DEAL, rather than cheap Chinese knock-offs.[emoji1]

I suppose I could spring for real professional lights like these ClayPaky ones .. only $2200 a piece .. battery powered and wireless DMX .. but only 4x10W

.. or I could experiment with those at the lower end of the spectrum .. I do like that chrome option though ..

1547948351429.png

Hmmm???... Let me get this straight... Cheap lights are OK, but not cheap anything else???[emoji1]

You're trying to compare something mission critical to an add on :)

I agree cheap lights are ok - but not cheap anything else. As others have mentioned, a light going out is not nearly as critical or noticeable as mic dropout or amp/speaker quality issues.

That being said, I have actually been entertaining a set of these myself before stumbling on this thread (mainly because the majority of my fixtures are still corded and I have some venues coming up I will need to get in and out of quicker). I currently own multiple brands of par cans, some of which I have taken apart and repaired myself. I can tell you, the circuity in these things are simple - it's simply a power supply taking 120v down to 12 then feeding a puck of LEDs. There's also a rather generic looking board for any existing DMX stuff and if a battery exists in the enclosure, it will have charging circuitry.

I can also tell you, out of my 60+ uplight fixtures - the failure rate has been the highest with Chauvets - but I have generally been able to fix the issues myself.

At the end of the day, the individual components, boards, chips etc. are generally manufactured in the same plants. In many cases, different badging are simply applied to similar fixtures. The quality issues will mainly be found in the lens and will be painfully noticeable during color mixing. The simple 'fix' for color mixing issues (from experience) is to open up the fixture and make some sort of diffuser. My equipment is stored minutes away from a popular importer of lighting fixtures. I own some of their lights and again, have had less issues with those than the "name brands".

Reactions: steve149
I vote for B because that is what I have in terms of style.

With that said. Nobody should go cheap on lighting. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

If you want to be looked at as a professional providing high end professional gear then you should invest in Martin Lighting. Only the best of the best!

If you want to be looked at as a Upper middle tier Pro then you should purchase Eternal Lighting. If you want to be looked at as middle of the road normal service pro, and like many DJs, then you should invest in Chauvet or ADJ Lighting products for Up Lighting. If you want to portray Low End Craigslist level service cheap service, , then using a Cheap Chinese general knock off lights iis the way to go! :)

There is no comparing apples to oranges. Cheap is Cheap. And Chinese Off Brand is Chinese Off Brand. Quality Lighting Service poviders don't make the mistake of using cheap chinese lights!

"The optics in the chinese lights are poor. The circuitry is low quality inside. The LEDs are low quality. The Quality COntrol is not there. You are supporting cheap slave labor...The warranty is almost non existant...."

Using Chinese lights is like showing up to DJ with a pair of Behringers oo Gemeni . You don't want to be THAT guy do you?

:cheers::banana::twocents::popcorn::spam::wave:

Do what's right...Open up your wallet. Take that credit card out, and spend your money on Martin...or at least Eternal. ...Unless you want to be just like most everybody else out there....

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
With that said. Nobody should go cheap on lighting. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

You generally do. If only Martin or Eternal weren't also made in China ...

You generally do. If only Martin or Eternal weren't also made in China ...

No RCF EVOX J8’s for you then... also built in China.[emoji4]

If you’re gonna start excluding gear built in China, you’re gonna have a pretty light load to haul... All you’d need is a Fiat 500.[emoji1]

Reactions: ittigger
No RCF EVOX J8’s for you then... also built in China.[emoji4]

If you’re gonna start excluding gear built in China, you’re gonna have a pretty light load to haul... All you’d need is a Fiat 500.[emoji1]
I'm not excluding Chinese made gear .. just pointing out that the country of origin isn't the dominant factor.

If you are only using them as uplights, I'd use "A".
As for color,
it's true that a black one would blend in better...
but that also means it would be easier for someone to trip over.

You're trying to compare something mission critical to an add on :)

I agree cheap lights are ok - but not cheap anything else.

No offense, but this is talking out both sides of your mouth. "Cheap" isn't the issue. "Does it work well" is the issue. There are cheap lights that do the job, cheap mics and cheap speakers, all that can and will do the job adequately. In my own case, I chose to spring for more expensive QSC K10 tops but pair them with cheaper Alto subs. Both units are doing the job, beautifully. Same goes for my cheap GTD wireless mics. They out-perform the name brand units and that's why I use them, because they PERFORM. On lights, I use chinese 9X18 fixtures. 2 out of 16 were dead but the others are performing flawlessly and they only ran me $100 per fixture.

Use whatever you think will do the job but don't try peddling that it's okay to use deficient in one area but not another.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
If you are only using them as uplights, I'd use "A".
As for color,
it's true that a black one would blend in better...
but that also means it would be easier for someone to trip over.

I debated about black vs white casing on my lights. I ended up going with the white. Very happy with the decision and the white finish looks sleek and elegant. Of course that's just my opinion. Yours may be different.