Online Marketing - small biz's are not doing it right

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

IceBurghDJ

DJ Extraordinaire
Apr 17, 2015
Western Pennsylvania
iceburghdj.com
Twenty-three million small busi-
nesses power the U.S. economy. They
account for half of all sales in the United
States today and have created two-thirds of
all net new jobs since the 1970s.
But these companies are not leaders in the
online-advertising world. A survey of 550
small-business owners by The Boston
Consulting Group found that only 3
percent of their advertising budgets flows
online. Small-business advertising dollars
are still primarily spent on traditional
marketing vehicles, such as Sunday circu-
lars and coupon mailers.

These findings may come as a surprise,
given the explosive growth that digital
marketing has experienced in social media
and mobile communications and how
important the digital economy has be-
come. The findings also stand in contrast
to numerous surveys showing that a
sizable percentage of small businesses
promote themselves widely online—from
websites and e-mail to Facebook and
Twitter. But our survey suggests that when
it comes to actually spending their adver
-
tising dollars, small businesses continue to
favor very traditional channels.

Good Read...makes a lot of sense. 5 pages, above is just an excerpt

https://www.bcgperspectives.com/Ima...of_Small_Businesses_Mar_2013_tcm80-130086.pdf

It's not really a big surprise for a few reasons.

Believe it or not there are a lot of people that don't understand social media. The don't get how to get the message out and they don't know what to do with a website.

They also have been doing traditional media for so long and it's worked, or they think it has, so why change?

There's also the fact that where they don't understand social media they just throw the money at a campaign of traditional media having someone else place the ads rather than set one up for themselves on a social site and have to take that time and the time to manage it. When you don't have much of either time is money.

Big business like Coke and Pepsi, Mcdonalds, and so on have been on board since the beginning and do it very well, or I should say their consultants do, but smaller business will take much longer to catch on

Reactions: Dan The Man
Digital marketing is moving so fast. I just added re-marketing to my mix. And I'm also exploring a different print/online combination presence in lieu of some of the things we did last year.

They have entire full time departments of college grads (age, education to do it) that can do it for them, watch it, keep up, etc.

I'm one guy that has a lot of other things to do.

Used to be what, mail, a local newspaper, email..maybe you do a display at the mall or a bridal show. You only had 10 choices/options.

Hell, there's hundreds of sites like gigmaster, thumbtack, wedj, knot, WW, yp, yelp, google, fb, twitter, angie's list, yahoo, bing...and many many many more, some local, some regional.

And on FB you have ads, boosted posts, your own page and friends, things others may say about you, plus groups like craigslist but much more locally focused you can market to.

I had a HS senior I shot 5 years ago repost/whatever it's called, on FB when a 'share this moment from 5 years ago' comes up - adn I've gotten more likes and views on my FB page from that in the past week than anything I've been able to do all year.

No wonder small biz owners are so damned confused and frustrated.

Big business like Coke and Pepsi, Mcdonalds, and so on have been on board since the beginning and do it very well, or I should say their consultants do, but smaller business will take much longer to catch on

Reactions: Dan The Man
Websites are just another marketing tool, albeit pretty much an essential one today.
I general though, I think many small business owners make the mistake of spending money on marketing before they even know what their target market/audience is. That inevitably leads to dissatisfaction in their results and wasted time and money.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
No wonder small biz owners are so damned confused and frustrated.

It's actually nowhere near as complicated as many make it out to be

If I showed you all the MARKETING Material I have here you would have a FIT!!

It's actually nowhere near as complicated as many make it out to be

I won a bet at work this week.

We give away prizes on air and on Facebook all the time most are worth over $25 and we have given away over $10,000 on occasion usually during ratings time

I made a suggestion a while back we give away lottery tickets so this weekend head office gave us the go ahead and we started a 4 day like and share promotion. No one thought it would work and I bet that it would get 10,000 views and 500 shares. I was being conservative I figured much more than that. It actually as of this morning had over 61,000 views, 1100 shares, and 700 likes plus an additional 200 liked the page

Keep it simple people will jump on board