Officially retiring, does it really ever happen to a DJ

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
We'd all like to take it easy and enjoy our lives and re-connect with our spouses on the weekends.

hahaha i did the next best thing...i drag her along with me... she loves it and has been a huge help... she demanded to know everything about set up and breakdown ...and is the best roadie ive ever had... gotta love it!!

cc

My wife learned YEARS ago that coming with me to a gig is not a good idea.
I am too focused on what I am doing and I ignore her the whole time.
Then there's the issue with her requesting songs SHE likes.

So she stays away from my gigs.
And we are both happier because of it!

My wife learned YEARS ago that coming with me to a gig is not a good idea.
I am too focused on what I am doing and I ignore her the whole time.
Then there's the issue with her requesting songs SHE likes.

So she stays away from my gigs.
And we are both happier because of it!

Hahahahaha I used to go through the exact same thing with old girlfriends...but i think i found the perfect girl... she seems to completely comprehend the pressure im under and knows i will be grumpy... she even runs interference on requests...lol... the only time we communicate is when i need water.... she taught me the sign language for it and i just make the gesture and shes ON IT!

truly blessed!

cc

Approaching 70 and have over 40 years at the mobile DJ business. I can't imagine ever quitting, of course ever is a long time. I don't use any help, in fact the 20+ish age that have expressed interest in helping never pan out. They all complain, too much work, too hard, no desire to excel, plus they're all just plain not smart enough and lazy.

My phone is constantly ringing and I'm in big demand. I still do about 75 gigs a year. No retirement thoughts in my future. Still have the energy and enthusiasm with an excitement level enough to create an off the chart successful event.

But, what I may like to do someday, is sell my business. Have someone step in and take over, and maybe continue doing gigs for the new owner.

The company is grossing around 100k a year. Anyone interested?

Bob

That is an amazing set of facts and you're kicking some serious DJ bootie out there, Bob.

Your story and road to success is EXACTLY what a seminar or a conclave or can I come live with you for a week would cause me to drool all over myself to attend.

You are what these never-ending DJ 101 Expos and other conventions for DJs is completely missing.

Cap, aren't you 70+. I'm 73 and still have the desire but with limited physical attributes. Total knee replacement in 3 weeks. However, it isn't the knee so much as it is the Arthritis in my hands/wrist and shoulder that limits my activity. I'm still my own roadie, but have just recently found a "roadie" prospect who lives next door. He seems interested. My wife many, many years ago decided the NEW music was not her cup-of-tea so she stays home. Situation much like Ausumm's situation. My wife would seem to be always in my way when I needed to move around in the DJ space. She is musically stuck in the 50's and 60's...a good thing because that was some of the best music, IMO. However, I personally like music from the 80's just as much. However, having dissed on my wife, she has been a help on many occasions when doing combination Ceremony and Reception. She was my security while I was out doing the Ceremony and then when time to load up, she'd come back and help with packing up all the up-lighting and cords...at the larger event centers. She liked the $50 bill I gave her for helping. My son also helped on occasion when I had a really long wedding reception. I'd say he helped me on those large events when late at night I was "pooped" having been on site for 8 hrs. I was in my late 60's when he began to help out. He has a wife and children. Didn't bother him to leave home at 11:30 pm for a 30 minute drive or longer. He liked the extra "spending money"!

Last edited:
Yes, I'm 74 but fortunately thanks to a parental lineage of a healthy genetic structure and keeping myself in reasonable physical condition, showbiz is not an issue. Allowing my marketing and branding assertiveness lapse has proven to be an Achilles heel. Out of sight, out of mind. The lesser the numbers of bodies I perform in front of, the lesser the numbers of people know first hand what they're getting.

I have had an Event Production Assistant for 5 years (dislike the word "roadie") and the key is paying him well. He doesn't stay at the events and does not want to be a DJ. To me, that's the nugget. Anyone wanting to be a DJ wants lots of money for little effort. Hell, it's what attracted me.

My EPA get's paid $15/hour and the clock begins when he leaves his house so that he is reimbursed for his drive time to and from the event. After setup, what he does and where he goes while the event is happening is his own business. He does not stay.

So, an average local event within 45 minutes (most are less), a 45-minute setup, a 30-minute breakdown, and a 45-minute drive home equates to roughly $45.00. In order to ensure his reliability, I guarantee him a $60.00 minimum rate even if the event is next door.

My wife is not invited to my workplace. I don't go to hers. We're even. (unless it's an out-of-town road trip, then we're together but still not at the event.)

I'm sure I WILL retire from DJing... someday... when it's no longer fun. I'm not QUITE as old as a few of you guys, but I've already retired from one career; I'd have no problem retiring from another. Problem is, I have NO idea what I'd do next. Until I figure that out, or unless some health issue forces me to stop, I'll continue DJing.

I got into this business very late in my life. I was already in my 60's when I started, so I'm still learning... much more to learn. I knew it would keep me physically active, but I'll admit I had no idea how physically demanding the job is. I've lost more than 30 pounds and I'm probably in as gooda shape as I was in 20 years ago. I'd like to find a good assistant, but I'm not looking very hard for one. My wife is supportive, but no help as far as any physical contribution.

I'm pretty sure I am not the only guy here who fears retirement from the DJ biz.
Not because I'd miss it....
but because the wifey would have no problems finding "things" for me to do around the house every weekend.
It certainly wouldn't feel like retirement, as I'd probably be working harder than doing gigs.

I'm pretty sure I am not the only guy here who fears retirement from the DJ biz.
Not because I'd miss it....
but because the wifey would have no problems finding "things" for me to do around the house every weekend.
It certainly wouldn't feel like retirement, as I'd probably be working harder than doing gigs.

It's not so bad.[emoji1] When I retired, we let the housekeeper, yard service, and pool boy go. I is them, and the cook ta boot![emoji1] I always have a long list of remodeling projects too, so the occasional DJ gig is a welcome interlude. No way I could DJ full time and do all the other stuff too.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 53, and honestly, I don't see how you 70-somethings are doing it. Even at this age, I'm dragging more and more as time goes on. In my own case, I really don't see retirement from DJing. I see re-inventing myself into other lines of service. Today, we're transitioning to photography. Soon I hope to transition into venue owner and hire the people to do DJ and photography. After that, who knows? As long as I'm able, I sure don't see sitting around the house on the weekends as a desirable option.