NYE - Multi Op shouldn't have booked this one!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Chileehead

New DJ
Nov 25, 2008
Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on this one. I will refrain from the names and yes this was sent to me as I know this company, and no I have never done a gig for them. :sqcool: Note: You don't have to know before hand how to operate the equipment - doesn't that mean that person doesn't have to be a DJ??!! Also, today is the 30th!!

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for the last-minute email, but tis the season...

I am currently looking for a DJ for the event below. If you are still available, please let me know. I am sorry that the pay isn't 'phenomenal', but it's a small contract. It should be a very simple evening.

Karaoke Dance Party- NYE

9:30p-1:30am
9:30p-midnight, Karaoke
midnight-2am, Dance Party

PAY is $300.00

*I will be leaving clear instructions on how to run the karaoke system that I have for the DJ. Only two hours of karaoke, followed by 2 hour post-midnight dance party.

If you are interested and available, please give me a call ASAP. I will be up until 1am tonight and back up at 8am tomorrow morning.

800px-Phractocephalus_hemioliopteru.jpg

Up the creek without a paddle :D:D:D:D:D

I live in the worst market in North America and I wouldn't touch that one :sqrolleyes:

Looks like this multi-op is going to be giving some money back or going to court.

This is a prime example where the professional DJ's tell this client----get bent!

$300 for a 5 hour long New Year's Eve Party is an insult.

Most DJ's would charge a minimum of $1500 for this event.

Let the multi op rot!

It's things like this that cause our industry to have to consistently defend itself when promoting REALISTIC prices for our services.

This is a prime example where the professional DJ's tell this client----get bent!

$300 for a 5 hour long New Year's Eve Party is an insult.

Most DJ's would charge a minimum of $1500 for this event.

Let the multi op rot!

It's things like this that cause our industry to have to consistently defend itself when promoting REALISTIC prices for our services.
How do you know that this multi-op didn't charge the client $1500? It appears he's just looking for someone to operate the equipment. The way I read it he may or may not be setting up the gear but he is supplying it. It doesn't look like he wants talent either. Could this be a last minute call as well? I don't know, do you? Does anybody? He made an offer. Yes or no would be the simple answers. Evidently his marketing was able to attract these clients for some strange reason. But with not knowing much about this multi op what else can one say. There are always two sides to every story.

Would I play for $300 on NYE? No. But the DJ's he's looking for couldn't get my money anyway. And to say that most DJ's would charge a minimum of $1500 is very vague. Is it most you know? Most that I know can't even get that for a wedding.

So, those DJ's who are ego driven to require $1500 for NYE for an average to small function (no lights, not fluff, just music) are most likely sitting at home tonight where their most happy. That's good for them I suppose. I'm sure closer to the cities or more populated areas there are many DJ's getting a higher price than normal working at a planned function in a fancy hotel or venue. And I say, good for them if they get it. But, you're smaller, private functions, Elks Hall events are going to be a bit more frugal with what they will pay. This is just NYE, it's not a life altering, memory changing event. Play the hits, lets get drunk, and there all happy.

Of course I could be wrong, this is just my opinion.

Folks, I agree that the pay is below industry standards in many locales for karaoke hosting and DJing.

Is this a bar gig or private party? Reason I ask, if it's a bar gig they may not have any more than $300.00 to spend. If it's a private party, no. The multi manager shouldn't have gotten involved.

Even if he finds a warm body to cover, karaoke isn't something just anyone can walk in and do. Steve and Joe can tell you... karaoke hosting requires experience and personality.

I got no issues with the $300.00 if it's a bar gig. I've never worked with karaoke before and there ain't no way I'm gonna be put on the spot by trying to host it on a moment's notice.

And with someone else's rig? There ain't no way. :eek:

What it sounded like to me was the guy needed a Host/DJ to run his system (already set to go)! So what he was looking for was someone to walk in do the gig and walk out, that would mean no setup or tear down, no music to carry in or out just a mouth piece and nothing more, honestly $300 isn't a bad payday for that.

If he is paying $300 for nothing but the Host you can bet he booked the gig for a lot more than that $300!