New Wireless Mics - GTD?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

scgstuff

DJ Extraordinaire
Jun 30, 2017
Central Texas
garrisentertainment.com
I am looking at pulling the trigger on new wireless mics within a week or two. Looking at the GTD G-787HL (2 handheld and 2 lavalieres.) Was going to add 1 handheld and 1 lav initially to have a choice of what to use. Then add another handheld....don't know I would need more then 3 lav's. I know they are not great quality, but us being a fairly new company that is still growing and adding more stuff we don't have a ton of extra capital. Currently using 2 VHF VocoPros from Guitar Center (extra cheapo) that have been OK, but want better.

Any input good or bad? I searched and "GTD" and "G-787" together were too short for the search terms, so couldn't see if this had been discussed....

Buy once, cry once. Seriously, GTD is on par with Vocopro... you'll never see that brand in use by any serious musician or sound company. Better microphones may cost 4x more upfront, but they'll last at least 4x longer. Keep in mind that the UHF frequency allocation for wireless microphones is changing soon; whatever you buy, make sure it's future-proof.

Buy once, cry once. Seriously, GTD is on par with Vocopro... you'll never see that brand in use by any serious musician or sound company. Better microphones may cost 4x more upfront, but they'll last at least 4x longer. Keep in mind that the UHF frequency allocation for wireless microphones is changing soon; whatever you buy, make sure it's future-proof.

How many years can a "better mic" get? And how soon will the UHF spectrum change? It seems like a couple people are claiming the GTD's work well, and if they last for a few years until the change (assuming "better mics" get 8-10 years..not sure)....maybe they would be worth it. Then, we will have better equipment all around and be able to afford more.

I have not done any crying .

But yes, in most cases, it is better to buy the better quality stuff.

How many years can a "better mic" get? And how soon will the UHF spectrum change? It seems like a couple people are claiming the GTD's work well, and if they last for a few years until the change (assuming "better mics" get 8-10 years..not sure)....maybe they would be worth it. Then, we will have better equipment all around and be able to afford more.
2020 I do believe.

My first GTD, (and the one used the most) is 8 years old now. The only problem I had was a groomsman dropped a mic. Purchased a new replacement for $39.

I would put these units up side by side to my shure units and you would not be able to tell the difference except for the weight on the mics.

Reactions: SEDJ and scgstuff
My first GTD, (and the one used the most) is 8 years old now. The only problem I had was a groomsman dropped a mic. Purchased a new replacement for $39.

I would put these units up side by side to my shure units and you would not be able to tell the difference except for the weight on the mics.
So, 2020 is the change and you have used for 8 years? Think I will hit the buy button. Sounds like it will work for at least a couple years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: DJCC
I am looking at pulling the trigger on new wireless mics within a week or two. Looking at the GTD G-787HL (2 handheld and 2 lavalieres.) Was going to add 1 handheld and 1 lav initially to have a choice of what to use. Then add another handheld....don't know I would need more then 3 lav's. I know they are not great quality, but us being a fairly new company that is still growing and adding more stuff we don't have a ton of extra capital. Currently using 2 VHF VocoPros from Guitar Center (extra cheapo) that have been OK, but want better.

Any input good or bad? I searched and "GTD" and "G-787" together were too short for the search terms, so couldn't see if this had been discussed....

DON'T DO IT!!!... Nothing at all wrong with GTD systems, but the GTD Audio G-787H operates in the 610MHz - 680MHz frequency range. The FCC auctioned off that range to T-Mobile, so all microphone systems operating in that range will be subject to cellular data interference within a couple of years or so... essentially making them obsolete.

If you're gonna buy a GTD system, try the GTD Audio B-33 UHF. Check it out on Amazon...50% off right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTD is a good value for the money spent but personally, I don't care for the 4-channel units. I own about 4 of their systems; 1 4-channel and 3 2-channel. All 700-series. While the radio portion performs very well, the mics are very prone to feedback. On the bodypacks, you can buy a single ear headset for just a few bucks. It's a better option than the lavs.

All in all, they are what they are; cheap and functional.

Reactions: SEDJ and DJ Bobcat
I was actually at a concert this past weekend and 2 of the opening acts were using GTDs. They did have some feedback issues when they got close to the side monitors but other than that, they worked surprisingly well.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Just looked it up....and it is 4 handhelds. I need to look it up to see if they have lav's.

Yes... Hand helds work for me, but if you need lav's, the B-22/B-33 isn't the best option. I can't believe GTD doesn't have a body pack transmitter that works with those units, though. They have body packs for their other models.

I was looking at the lavs for ceremony purposes. I was thinking it might be good to have the option for exchanging of vows (which is why I said probably 3 max... wedding officiant, bride and groom.) Is that something I should consider or is that typically not done?

Yep... lavs are the best option for wedding ceremonies or any situation where the speaker needs to have their hands free. You can use hand-helds on mic stands, but some don't like the way that looks, so having lavs is a good plan. I don't do weddings (for the most part), so when I'm providing wireless mics, it's usually for a single speaker, or for a panel, so hand-helds work fine.

I was looking at the lavs for ceremony purposes. I was thinking it might be good to have the option for exchanging of vows (which is why I said probably 3 max... wedding officiant, bride and groom.) Is that something I should consider or is that typically not done?

A single-ear GTD headset puts the mic element closer to the officiant's mouth and eliminates clothing or robe issues. It also seems to work better on wind noise for outdoor ceremonies. You can ride gain to catch the couples' words as well. At the very most, I'd put one on the groom but wouldn't dream of having a mic or ugly cables on the bride's pictures.

Reactions: DJCC and DJ Bobcat
Yea, brides don't like having a mic put on them. I never use a handheld with a ceremony unless the officiant requests it. They look too ugly in pictures.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat