New Venue Coming Up... Need Advice.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I'm not asking this just to be nosey. What equipment will you be using to do this event? Personally I using my own equipment. Even though I have plenty of experience I wouldn't take a chance on plugging into their system. I would hate to have something go wrong with their system and I get the blame for it costing me money because now they want me to pay to get it fixed.

I'm not asking this just to be nosey. What equipment will you be using to do this event? Personally I using my own equipment. Even though I have plenty of experience I wouldn't take a chance on plugging into their system. I would hate to have something go wrong with their system and I get the blame for it costing me money because now they want me to pay to get it fixed.

Unless something changes, I plan to take two 15" subs and two 12" tops. With the acoustics in this venue, I think that will be enough. I'll have two more speakers with me (10" tops), that I could add if necessary, but don't think it will be necessary. I took the DBX DriveRack out of my rack, so I have no way to delay speakers placed toward the back of the room; all the speakers would have to be positioned on or in front of the stage.

I plan to talk to the venue manager about hooking into their P/A system. When I was scoping out the venue, she said other DJ's have brought their own P/A systems, and so I took that as a recommendation. I should have asked about the possibility of hooking into their system at that time, but for some reason, I didn't. I didn't even see any audio equipment back-stage, so I'm assuming they have a control room somewhere; probably in the old projection room. That might require them to have one of their employees on hand to assist with the setup and operation of their P/A system; something they would not need if I have my own P/A system. I have no idea if that entered into the venue manager's thinking or not, nor do I know if having an audio tech available for the event is included in the price my client paid. I got some more questions to ask; obviously.[emoji4]

Edit: I might add that I ALWAYS worry too much before doing an event at a new venue. You just don't know what you don't know. I've never DJ'd in a place like this, so I have NO idea how it will sound with a room full of people. I also don't know how their in-house P/A system sounds. It could sound like crap for all I know. I know my system sounds good in smaller rectangular rooms, and I assume it will sound good in this new Venue with better acoustics, but I have NO idea.[emoji1]

Last edited:
Reactions: ittigger
Unlike you most of us know how to set proper gain structures and have little fear of damaging a high end in house system
Tunes I posted what I did for 3 reasons. 1 not everybody knows what they are doing. So some wiii crank it up thinking that how to impress the crowd. That can resultin either the sound being distorted or damage to the system. 2 some places they won't allowit because they had DJS who come in and damage their system and leaving. Having them to spend money to either get things or replace something. 3 I just like using my own equipment because I know my system all too well and would rather not take a chance. Anything can happen.

Tunes I posted what I did for 3 reasons. 1 not everybody knows what they are doing. So some wiii crank it up thinking that how to impress the crowd. That can resultin either the sound being distorted or damage to the system. 2 some places they won't allowit because they had DJS who come in and damage their system and leaving. Having them to spend money to either get things or replace something. 3 I just like using my own equipment because I know my system all too well and would rather not take a chance. Anything can happen.
You are correct I believe you have a blown subwoofer because you don’t know what you are doing

Unless something changes, I plan to take two 15" subs and two 12" tops.

Bobcat, with all respect you're WAY over-thinking this. Two 15/12 stacks will be more than enough. Spread them wide, either side of the stage. Don't let a new room intimidate you. This one is a no-brainer.

Bobcat, with all respect you're WAY over-thinking this. Two 15/12 stacks will be more than enough...
You're right... but I over-think everything! That's what I do![emoji1] If I had ever been in this venue and was able to see what others used, I would be more comfortable. This will be a first, though.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not wanting to be the same... just would like to see how many speakers and subs others used and to know what is adequate and what is not... reference not necessarily the same.[emoji4]

I would try to use the installed system it was obviously designed for the room

I would try to use the installed system it was obviously designed for the room

... and I'm gonna check into that soon. Like I said; I suspect the venue would have to supply an audio technician if I use their system, and I don't know if that's included in what my client paid. We'll see.[emoji4]

... and I'm gonna check into that soon. Like I said; I suspect the venue would have to supply an audio technician if I use their system, and I don't know if that's included in what my client paid. We'll see.[emoji4]

If the fee was reasonable I would consider paying out of pocket because of the reduced set up and break down time

If the fee was reasonable I would consider paying out of pocket because of the reduced set up and break down time

That's a thought, but I'm not making much on this event. It's only a three hour event, and I waived my four hour minimum because it's on a Thursday night. If I have to setup my own system, though, at least load in/out won't be too bad. The parking lot is just outside the door next to the stage, and the venue is handicap accessible; ramps to get to every level.

And some people bring 2 18" subs with 15" tops for 15 people dancing ... it is what it is ..

1 not everybody knows what they are doing.

Amazing. And you fit into the above listed category my friend. Do you charge your clients extra for the smoke effect that you provide with the burning coils of your sub-woofers, or is that included in your new pricing structure.

If you ever have an event at a venue with it's own decent house system but you'd need sound at the back of the potentially large or rectangular shaped room, could you use your own system AND use the venue's system in the booth out for coverage in the back?

If you ever have an event at a venue with it's own decent house system but you'd need sound at the back of the potentially large or rectangular shaped room, could you use your own system AND use the venue's system in the booth out for coverage in the back?
With my DriveRack (and IEM setup to wirelessly link them) I could.

You are correct I believe you have a blown subwoofer because you don’t know what you are doing
Things do happen sir. When I first turned it on it wasn't working. Don't know how that happened.

I am not going crazy over it. It just needs to be fixed. Equipped fails sometimes because many made it and not God.

Power went out on the street we live on. That messed up my VCR DVD player. The lights keep blinking and it won't work. Got to get a new DVD player. Crap happens.

Last edited:
Things do happen sir. When I first turned it on it wasn't working. Don't know how that happened.

I am not going crazy over it. It just needs to be fixed. Equipped fails sometimes because many made it and not God.

Power went out on the street we live on. That messed up my VCR DVD player. The lights keep blinking and it won't work. Got to get a new DVD player. Crap happens.
Crap happens a lot more when things aren't used, stored or transported properly .. I've got plenty of things "made by man (or woman)" that have never failed.