New Lighting

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Folks, I think we are witnessing the decline of DJ/Event industry lighting manufacturers. The lights that ADJ and Chauvet came out with in 2016 were crap, and it seems they are just coming out with more crap for 2017. I don't think they know what to do as their sales numbers decline as less DJs are buying into effect lighting these days.

I don't think DJ's are not buying into lights, per-se.

DJs moved from incandescent to LED and so for what, 10 years they saw great sales as every dj rebought lights, got into uplighting, etc.
Lasers got to be cheap and trendy.

So now we've all got updatedlighting that well, doesn't wear out. Prices have dropped thanks to china and you can buy direct from china and I suspect that has hurt margins (markup on $500 light is more than a $200 one and while cheaper you won't sell 2-3X as many cheaper lights)

There are only so many 'types' of lights and every manufacturer has one or two of each kind..combining 4 or 5 things into one light or light bar seems to be the trend of late (gig bars, swarm, etc) and so they're cutting their sales even more.

And there may be a trend to fewer lights - I can't remember the last time I saw a DJ with a truss setup full of lighting.

And there may be a trend to fewer lights - I can't remember the last time I saw a DJ with a truss setup full of lighting.

Here was my set up last night. This is at a restaurant which devotes two rooms to wedding receptions. The DJ get's placed in a room down a set of 5 stairs. There is a small dance floor area capable for maybe 25 people to dance on, and tables in the rest of this room which is like 20 feet wide...if that. This was my set up for a wedding reception with 112 guests last night. The bride/groom did not want any dance floor lighting, and honestly as you can tell from the picture there just isn't any space for a light stand or truss to be set up at this venue...and this venue does like 60 weddings a year.

Mrs. K's Toll House Set Up.jpg

They already have this SMALL maybe 4 foot table set up for me which they set up for all the DJs...It has silverware in the top sliding drawers and is typically a table they put stuff like water pitchers on during regular business hours. ...I brought my 6 foot folding table with me, but opted to just use their table because as you can see there is limited waling space where those stairs are on both sides of the DJ area.

Quite honestly, I can perform 90% to 95% of the events I do with this exact set up(would prefer a 6 foot table and table top façade). Alto 12 inch Sub and 2 Alto TS212s. Most weddings can honestly do without any effect lighting at all truth be told! I had plenty of dancers at this reception on this small dance floor area. Effect lighting has little effect on adults when it comes to dance floor participation imo.

It seems I only bring out a lot of lighting for Bar and Bat Mitzvahs these days. I haven't upsold an extended lighting display for a wedding reception in years. Wedding clients seem to take my complimentary basic light show about 60% of the time...40% of them don't want it.

some venues can be tough. one here has 3 rooms and in one room they stuff the dj next to the stairs - you gotta put a speaker on the far side of the stairs, lights can go there at least, but they supply a 6' table and you get 6' of space..to fit you the table and the second speaker. And to get into the room you've got a step at a door - so you need 3 hands to get a dolly thru..and then move chairs to get to the dancefloor. If you prefer 5 steps you can go the long way and avoid the door and moving chairs. But 5 steps means issues with a dolly of course.

But I've been to worse, just not frequently enough to complain.

Did a barn this past summer, one of those 90d 90% humidity deals..i get htere and the coordinator says 'you can set up in the loft'...hm, no I cannot. It's over 100d up there! And it's UP there..way up there. So I squeezed myself into the smallest space ever.

Some days..

Reactions: ittigger
Probably the only clients and guests that notice any difference in lighting are those that have been to a few events with DJs. Kind of like doing an A/B between speakers. One might think their $300 speakers sound fine until they compare them with higher end speakers.

So, I think in some circles there are people that have been to a lot of events with expensive lighting. Lighting seems to make a difference to DJs in certain areas, you know thouse guys that use expensive moving heads! For others, lighting just gives the DJ more confidence that he's offering something more than music.

I like having a variety of fixtures, but I don't like setting up lots of lights if it doesn't increase my pay. My clients are almost always satisfied that I'm throwing in four flat par color changers.

From what I'm seeing in the boom box video, I'm not impressed.

Reactions: ittigger
Probably the only clients and guests that notice any difference in lighting are those that have been to a few events with DJs. Kind of like doing an A/B between speakers. One might think their $300 speakers sound fine until they compare them with higher end speakers.

So, I think in some circles there are people that have been to a lot of events with expensive lighting. Lighting seems to make a difference to DJs in certain areas, you know thouse guys that use expensive moving heads! For others, lighting just gives the DJ more confidence that he's offering something more than music.

I like having a variety of fixtures, but I don't like setting up lots of lights if it doesn't increase my pay. My clients are almost always satisfied that I'm throwing in four flat par color changers.

From what I'm seeing in the boom box video, I'm not impressed.

To a lot of people, the difference between having up lighting, and going with no up lights is the same difference as having centerpieces on the tables, or not having any centerpieces at all (Maybe just light a candle or 2!).

I won't throw in up lights...it's more work for me. More time spent setting the colors in each light. More things to carry in and out. I have had clients ask if up lights are included "in my package"...they will take them if there is no charge for them, but when I say no, and I can add in 8 or 10 up lights for only $250, they are not interested. ...I even offer 4 for $75...I actually did have a April bride add in the 4 for $75. It's for one I booked my bro on. I give him 40% to take the lights and set them up. I'll pre program the lights for him. So I made an extra $45 on that booking. Sometimes they just can't or won't spend much more money, but offer a few lights so they have something for a low price and they will add them in.