New DJ Controller

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I will be getting my first new DJ music controller since 2002. I have to admit, I have no clue on what this thing does. I'm not out blowing a ton of money on some top of the line thing, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, it's pretty simple and straight forward from what I can see. If something doesn't work out right for me, I'm out a lot of money. Numark Mixtrack 3 looks like it would be a good one for me to start out with. I'm already brand loyal . I have the original Numark MP3 controller DMC-1 it still works I converted it from serial to USB. but I am trying to learn some new stuff.... without going broke

Depending on the software you intend to use with it, I'd suggest the Pro version of that controller - Numark Mixtrack Pro 3 - with a built in sound card, or the similar Pioneer DDJ-SB2 (or a used DDJ-SB), also with built in sound card.

Depending on the software you intend to use with it, I'd suggest the Pro version of that controller - Numark Mixtrack Pro 3 - with a built in sound card, or the similar Pioneer DDJ-SB2 (or a used DDJ-SB), also with built in sound card.

I second this. Being a beginner DJ still, I have the original Numark mixtrack. I had to buy an external sound card to do my mixing and get a better sound output but the mix track is very easy to learn on, and you can do just about everything you need to do for weddings and school dances on it with a 2 deck mixer. I now see the need for a 4 deck mixer (for school dances mainly) but the mixtrack has been awesome so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually looked at those items, They were pretty neat, I got to actually put my hands on one and check it out. At this time they exceeded the amount I had to spend on one by $400 . The software this controller the mixtrack 3, comes with is Virtual DJ LE. I still use old school right now because it's tried and true for me The original PCDJ red 5.2 is what I have right now . Yes I get that to work on windows 10. upgrades are going to have to be gradual and in "steps" The remaining money I have has to go toward new speaker stands and gaffe tape NOT duck tape

You also need to decide whether you actually need a controller. An all-in-one controller is merely a combination of a mixer and a control surface. For me personally, I don't use the control parts very much .. generally just the pause/play button, maybe some simple cue points or looping, and cueing. One could do all of that on screen with a mouse .. and many do. I like the big pause/play button, so that's my primary driver for a controller.

I have a Denon MC6000mk2 which is nice for a compact system .. controls, 4 channel mixer, built-in USB sound card, 2 mic channels .. basically anything you'd need. I also have 3 controllers without a mixer .. a Denon DN-HC4500 (does have a sound card), and 2 mini controllers .. Numark DJ2GO and Behringer CMD Micro (mainly for that play/pause button).

I know a bunch of DJs who go from the laptop to a simple live sound type mixer (mainly to add mics) and don't bother with a controller.

At this time they exceeded the amount I had to spend on one by $400 .
Not sure if we are talking about the same thing.
Newmark Mixtrack PRO is about $180, Pioneer DDJ-SB2 is $250, both brand new, both with built in sound cards.

I know a bunch of DJs who go from the laptop to a simple live sound type mixer (mainly to add mics) and don't bother with a controller.

Agreed - but once you start to do any kind of mixing (not necessarily scratching) it is much easier with a controller.

The #1 thing you have to consider is workflow, and that determines what software, and that determines what controller. Like many here, I have a huge amount of songs in my data base. Unlike many, I do a lot of Latin music, but since I speak Spanish poorly, library management for me is #1. Serato allows me to edit ID3 tags while the song is playing, plus all the track info (like comments, que's, and loops) is also stored in the song file, making it real easy to copy everything to my back up computer. This is just an example - your mileage may vary.

Agreed - but once you start to do any kind of mixing (not necessarily scratching) it is much easier with a controller.

The #1 thing you have to consider is workflow, and that determines what software, and that determines what controller. Like many here, I have a huge amount of songs in my data base. Unlike many, I do a lot of Latin music, but since I speak Spanish poorly, library management for me is #1. Serato allows me to edit ID3 tags while the song is playing, plus all the track info (like comments, que's, and loops) is also stored in the song file, making it real easy to copy everything to my back up computer. This is just an example - your mileage may vary.
Yes .. but you can do all that without an all-in-one controller. With say my Rane Mixer, I can play and cue multiple decks without needing additional hardware and still use the laptop software for all music management and searching .. though I normally use the Denon HC4500 with the Rane to get the buttons .. and the Denon has another USB soundcard I can use for other background apps (karaoke mainly) that don't support the Rane's ASIO interface.

The Denon MC6000-2 is the first all-in-one I've had .. prior to a year ago, I either did all controlling via the mouse or with one of the simple controller-only boxes.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
A lot comes down to you .. what do you need to perform the way you want? A controller's job is to make access to a majority of commands and controls .. easier. If you are a performance DJ .. then you NEED a good tactile interface with appropriate mapped controls to the FX, pads and features you use and you need comfortable response from the platters. An all-in-one will also get the crossfader typically closer to those controls as well.

For me, I do little in the way of "performance" and I use the software's capabilities for fade-in/out, so my job is merely picking the the right songs, starting and stopping when needed and talking as required. The controllers (standalone and all-in-one) are merely there to access a few commands .. plus they look good.

and this is all learning for me because I have got way behind the times. I'm trying to get it stepped up for me. Trying to make it better. There are so many different areas that need work. It's like a hundred little forest fires all over that need to get put out. It will take me time I know. I lost a good many years and it's hard because being older now I'm not at the level one would think I would be after all that time. I was involved with a good many things over the years and being a DJ took back seat in many instances. It's still not my main source of income, I don't know if it ever could be that. There are a lot of factors to equate with that too.
I had wanted to learn, I had wanted to do things, work with some other people, but if I messed something up I wanted to accept full responsibility for it in such a way that the mess up would be my own and nobody else's. I didn't want anyone else to be dragged through mud if I screwed something up operating on their behalf. I take that very seriously. If I screw something up I need to own that and not project it on somebody else because it wasn't their fault.

You can DJ with iTunes .. I have at times, because it's the easiest thing to use when you are spending more time away from the controls than on them. I have most software: Traktor, Serato DJ, PCDJ Dex 3 RE, and VDJ (basic). To me, they are all pretty similar, since, as I said, I'm not a club guy or a someone who "plays" with music .. basic mixing, beat matching, the occasional loop or cue (for intros and such) .. so I don't use many or any of the advanced features .. same reason I really don't need a controller .. but there are a few times they are nice and the Denon MC6000 is small enough and has enough versatility to make it perfect for my needs.

If you are matching beats by waveform, or cut out frequency bands, or overlay sound effects, or club mix .. then the software and controller choices get very personal.

I have no clue what to do with waveform. I see it on these softwares but I have never had what to do with them demonstrated to me or understood their purpose to me. I have only perceived them as eye candy just like the spinning thing on the softwares because I have never seen one at work or really being utilized, I wouldn't know what to do with it. Like I said, I'm old school with it, it did not have that stuff and I never had the need for it. It's extra bells and whistles to me at this point. But I am going to try to learn it.

I got the mixtrack 3 last year when it came out, previously I used just VDJ 8 on a i7/12gb laptop mixing by mouse. W/dj-io interface. Since I had the dj-io I didn't need the Pro 3 version. I'd I had the Pro 3 I'd have less wires around. The Pro 3 looks a little nicer but all the functions are exactly the same. Also the mixtrack3 is already mapped for VDJ. I want to get more hands on than mouse click. Plus set up VDJ 8 for 4 tables and work to with the mixtrack3 & 2 with mouse and you have a very versatile set up for very little money ($150. On eBay). The effects slider at the top is very cool too.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk