Net profit per gig

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Your number theory does not address the issue of what constitutes a sunk cost.
If you paid for Dj gear up-front it is a sunk cost. There is zero future liability and zero potential for return because your income is generated by bookings NOT your inventory. You cannot compare DJ gear to a widget machine because DJ gear does not produce anything, and is not transformative.

gear is NOT inventory - inventory is stuff on shelves waiting to be sold, or open dates in the future.

Factory equipment is not inventory - what it MAKES is, but not the machines.

Your equipment is an investment just as a stamping machine is for BMW. You need the gear (owned, rented, financed matters not).

You use it, you use it up perhaps, but it has a residiual value, even if that means burn it and collect the copper from the ashes and recycle it.

the gear cost you $10,000 say. You made that investment so you could make $50,000 in gigs.
You could have put that 10k into a pizza shop, t-Bills, rental property, etc, etc.

So you invenst $10k, make $50k, the gear is worth $1k when you're done - you started with 10k and end with $51k.
If you put 10k into tBills you might end up with $10,300. BUT you'd have all the time you ALSO invested into DJing left over to do somehting else with.

You could I suppose call the time investment a sunk cost...but nobody does anymore than they call a speaker a 'sound reproduction device'.

Words can have very specific meanings and definitions in every industry.

In economics and business decision-making, a sunk cost is a cost that has already been incurred and cannot be recovered. Sunk costs (also known as retrospective costs) are sometimes contrasted with prospective costs, which are future costs that may be incurred or changed if an action is taken.

A sunk cost is a cost that an entity has incurred, and which it can no longer recover by any means.

The first is ECONOMICS..the second ACCOUNTING - 'by any means' - you CAN sell your gear. YOu may not get all the money back, but if you used it to make a profit that may not matter at all (as my example above shows).

A POOL SUBSCRIPTION is a sunk cost- no way to get that money back.

But then you're not looking at it that way..you NEED music to be a DJ..so the 'cost' of the music IS recovered at every gig when you use it.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
For an accountant you have a very poor sense of business.
Depreciating a piece of property on your tax return is not real life - it's just taxation.
Your gear is not an investment because you don't even need it to do the job. You get paid to DJ - not own gear.

To be good at business one has to know what business they are in - what it is they actually sell.
Equipment is not what any of my customer's care about. No one cares who owns the gear or where it comes from.

DO you have gear? (yes or no). If you do then it IS an investment. You buy it to use it to make money from it's use. It has value today, tomorrow and in the future - you can sell it - perhaps for less than you paid for it, perhaps for more if you're lucky or got a really good deal on it. Gear is an assett.

Do you have music? (yes or no). It is an expense - (most likely), like insurance. If you own CDs or vinyl then you can resell it. A record pool..nope. Files from itunes..I suppose you could resell them .. haven't heard of anyone doing so but I don't see why not (say you sold the business or retired and sold off assetts).

Your education, often called an investment in your future, is really an expense - you can't sell it to someone else, can't depreciate it.

And yes, depreciation is mostly for tax purposes - but then businesses (and people) spend one hell of a lot of time and money on taxes - just about every business owner I know makes Business decisions based on tax ramifications. If you don't pay attention to your taxes and how all that works you may be giving up thousands a year you could keep.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat