Need cheap and best dj earplugs

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I've owned a pair of Hearos for close to 20 years and they're still doing their job. What I like is that they seem to reduce the volume level well (roughly 20 decibels), but without compromising too much of the fidelity - you'll still hear the highs, mids and lows, albeit at a more comfortable level.

https://www.amazon.com/HEAROS-High-...D=51wLuE2EySL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail
You have been exposed to loud music since 20 years?
"Dr. My ears hurt when I do this." - well, stop doing that.

It only follows that the ears of everyone else are aching as well. Just turn it down.

Seriously. I've worked in clubs where the DJ booth is essentially unaffected by the FOH - and yet, DJs consistently crank the monitors to excessive levels , then turn up their headphones to compensate, more monitor again, then more headphone.... then complain about their ears?

The experience with this has trained me to never turn on a sound system without first turning the local monitors and phones all the way off. It has trained the installers to put hard limits on the FOH gain to prevent DJs from causing injury to customer hearing and damage to the sound system.

Honestly, learn to do it better. I've been doing this for over 30 years and my hearing is fine. I can't imagine wearing ear plugs at an event where I control the sound. If the sound is harmful to me then it is just as harmful to my customer and the audience. I have a responsibility not to injure people.
What if the crowd wants you to increase the volume? When people get drunk their hearing threshold increases and they ask dj to increase the volume.

At the very least, you should be using a headphone to make it look like you are actually doing something. :)

I should probably twist a bunch of knobs and push some useless buttons while I'm wearing the head phones too! :)

You have been exposed to loud music since 20 years?

I said I've owned them for 20 years, not that I wear them every day. But basically:
  • If I go to a concert, I make sure I bring them along. I don't need them at every show, but it's stupid not to have them available.
  • When I'm mowing the lawn, I wear them.
  • If I'm performing and the music is too loud, I turn it down.

Reactions: ittigger
What if the crowd wants you to increase the volume? When people get drunk their hearing threshold increases and they ask dj to increase the volume.

When people get drunk their hearing attributes do not change, only their responsiveness. If you're drunk and you won't get out of the way of an oncoming train it's not because you can't hear it - you just don't give a f**.

It's called FOH for a reason. What happens in the DJ space should be independent of the size of the sound system. There's no crowd I'm willing to lose my hearing for.

Last edited:
Reactions: ittigger
I was not being facetious about the deaf DJ. Stood on a platform with one of those SoundShakers underneath it. Between feeling the bass with his feet, and using the waveform, he could mix.

You have no such problem, learn to mix properly using headphones. You can mix without them if you set up all your cue points and a playlist beforehand - but it's a lot of work, and it's very static - your gigs will all start to sound the same.

Good headphones also provide acoustic isolation, so you can play them at a reasonable level vs FOH.

Reactions: Andy A and ittigger
What if the crowd wants you to increase the volume?

What if you're already at max and they ask you to increase the volume? Same / same. There's a point where you must decide to be in control or give up control.

Warning: if you give up control, you may be held responsible for damage to people's hearing as well as equipment damage.

Last edited:
When people get drunk their hearing attributes do not change, only their responsiveness. If you're drunk and you won't get out of the way of an oncoming train it's not because you can't hear it - you just don't give a f**.

It's called FOH for a reason. What happens in the DJ space should be independent of the size of the sound system. There's no crowd I'm willing to lose my hearing for.
:laugh: