need advice on Focusrite Scarletts

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Nov 14, 2017
I Just got from Guitar Center a Focusrite 2i2 and 2i4 which one do i need to dj from a laptop. Guys at store say to use 2i2 but the back of the box for the 2i4 shows a Laptop dj set up. I want to go from the computer to the focusrite then from the focusrite to the DJ Mixer then from mixer to Amp. I want to be able to cue up and listen to a song in my headset while I am playing a song over speakers. What Focusrite do I Keep?

I Just got from Guitar Center a Focusrite 2i2 and 2i4 which one do i need to dj from a laptop. I want to be able to cue up and listen to a song in my headset while I am playing a song over speakers. What Focusrite do I Keep?
2i2 if you DJ mono, 2i4 if you DJ stereo (2 channels in , 4 channels out). The 4 channels out will actual be two stereo pairs, one pair as mains output, one pair for queing.

If you are running a program that allows you to use two different sound cards at the same time, you could DJ in stereo using the 2i2 for mains output and the laptops built in headphone output for queing. I don't recommend this because this may not work with ASIO drivers, which if available are preferred (on Windows).

So, what program are you using, and are you sure you don't want a controller with a built in sound card?

Last edited:
I agree with Handinon ... a lot depends on how you expect to DJ. Assuming you use 2 decks in your software and assuming your software has assignable outputs, you could use the 2i2 for your main outputs and use your headphone jack on the laptop to monitor (headphones usually). If you are going to use an external mixer, then use the 2i4,which will output 2 stereo feeds, so you can monitor either source deck.

Reactions: ittigger
Anyone else lurk at DJWORX? Here is how the OP should properly set up his laptop/soundcard/mixer/controllers -

I'm being factious. These videos have nothing to do with wedding/event DJing, but demonstrate what can actually be done today by two masters of the craft, using state of the art equipment -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwBrd9a1LdA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aan_g8G2k3s

I just applied "two pound hammer" technology to my Vestax Typhoon, when I found out Cox doesn't even pre-plan his gig, and what a great laugh he has!!

Last edited: