Name the worse speakers that you have owned/heard over the years.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Black Widow speakers are some of the best speakers ever made. Even when looking for replacement speakers for a cabinet.

My first speakers I had were back in the early 80's didn't have a name. I bought 4 of them from a store in downtown Newark. They came with wheels on them to help move them easily. I can't remember but I think they cost $300 for the pair. They served their purpose for that time.

At that time if you were a mobile DJ and you had a Soundcraftmen's amp you were top of the line. At that time their amps were super expensive!

There's some funny stuff in here. Imma leave it at that.

GJ
I'll say this. Some of the stories about what a DJ was using for speakers was funny. Speakers with no back to them. That really got to me. How do you hookup the wires to make the speakers work without a back cover for the speakers? LOL.

You run it straight from the stereo receiver to the speaker. There was no crossover or horn in the cabinet. Lol Take five pieces of wood, make a box, Cut a hole in the front, screw the speaker in to cover the hole. Wala you have a speaker cabinet. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't of believed it because you can't make up stuff like that .

Black Widow speakers are some of the best speakers ever made. Even when looking for replacement speakers for a cabinet.

My first speakers I had were back in the early 80's didn't have a name. I bought 4 of them from a store in downtown Newark. They came with wheels on them to help move them easily. I can't remember but I think they cost $300 for the pair. They served their purpose for that time.

At that time if you were a mobile DJ and you had a Soundcraftmen's amp you were top of the line. At that time their amps were super expensive!

HaHa@Black Widow speakers some of the best. Did you replace your Yorkville Ls801p woofer with a Black Widow woofer?

Reactions: sonic-vision
With the exception of the really obvious stinkers, like double 15's under a bank of piezo's, or speaker cabinets with no backs, IMHO it is often hard to tell whether the poor SQ is the result of the speaker, or the DJ at the controls. When you get in someone's car and ALL the EQ sliders on their custom car audio installation have been slid all the way up, you know your ears are in for a bad time! People like this simply "do not get it" and there is little hope for them, which is why they invented daytime TV! :laugh:

x + y=9.
What's the value of x?
Everyone starts saying "I need to know what why y is".
No you don't.
X is exactly 9 - y.
You either get it or you don't!

I also feel there should be a bumper sticker that has a picture of a pair of 15" two-ways on sticks, a big red diagonal line across them, and a catchy phrase like "friends don't let friends DJ with 15" two-ways".

Last edited:
Reactions: steve149
My comments were not solely directed at you. I was just speaking about my experience. Normally just starting out you go with cheap stuff that to you looks good and sounds good to you not knowing any better. Over time hopefully you learn what to stay away from and realize why you should spend the extra money. It will sound better, last longer and you won't be in a mad rush looking to sell them for practically nothing.
Based on your most recent purchases, have you learned or not?
I am very happy with the speakers I have bought over the years. One speaker I wasn't happy with even though the sound was good is the JBL HTC 125 speaker. That was before powered speakers became the norm.
I was referring to your most recent purchases - the microphones. Did you realize why you should stay away from the cheap stuff?

I don't have a lot of experience with bad speakers.
The first ones I bought were JBL TR-125's.
A friend of mine had a pair and I liked them, so I knew exactly what I was buying.
When powered speakers arrived, I realized that my JBL's didn't sound as good as I thought they did.

I had some JBL Sound factors that were pretty terrible yet I made a lot of money with them for several years

I don't have a lot of experience with bad speakers...
^^^^ Same here. I listened to every speaker I ever purchased before I bought it (except for the EVOX-8's), so I knew exactly what I was getting. Why would anyone buy a speaker that didn't sound good?[emoji1] The thing with speakers I've learned is that you can't tell how they're REALLY going to sound until you get them into a big room and crank them up. My Alto's sounded better than higher priced speakers in the store. They even sounded better than my EXOX 8's in my office. But when those EVOX 8's are playing loudly in a venue, they definitely sound better. Not that the Alto's ever sounded bad.[emoji1] If they sounded bad, I would have gotten rid of them a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: steve149 and Ausumm
Why would anyone buy a speaker that didn't sound good
The ear isn't always able to judge on first listen. It's best to to A/B tests with different speakers to really hear the difference. And I agree with testing/listening to speakers in rooms that you'll be using them in - not your living room!

That SHS speaker sounded good to me when I listened to it at home without comparing it to other speakers. I must have been out of it!

I've never bought bad sounding speakers I've always had the opportunity to try before I buy but I've used some.

A friend of mine had 4 Peavey and was looking to sell them so gave them to me for a test drive. I've never been a fan of Peavey but they are generally tough speakers but these proved that wrong. I don't recall the model number but they were light passive and plastic cabs and sounded like s**t. By the end of the night I had 3/4 blown with much less power than they were rated for

I never had an issue with larger speakers .. most sounded good or better. It was the "special" ones .. primarily battery powered, where there isn't much available and few places to listen, that I have gotten the worse sounding speakers.

Yamaha S115IV, JBL MP215, Mackie SRM450 .. all sounded fine (though in retrospect, 15" tops aren't as clean as 10" or 12" ones). My Yorkville U15 tops were AWESOME .. just got too heavy for me. The JBL PRX612 are decent, even sounding tops, and my EVOX are the bomb-diggity.

My other speakers suck (OK, maybe not suck, but I hesitate to use them for REAL music), but they are specialized .. Alto Traveller, AA GO8BT, Anchor Liberty, Behringer B108D, Anchor AN-1000.

I never had an issue with larger speakers .. most sounded good or better. It was the "special" ones .. primarily battery powered, where there isn't much available and few places to listen, that I have gotten the worse sounding speakers.

Yamaha S115IV, JBL MP215, Mackie SRM450 .. all sounded fine (though in retrospect, 15" tops aren't as clean as 10" or 12" ones). My Yorkville U15 tops were AWESOME .. just got too heavy for me. The JBL PRX612 are decent, even sounding tops, and my EVOX are the bomb-diggity.

My other speakers suck (OK, maybe not suck, but I hesitate to use them for REAL music), but they are specialized .. Alto Traveller, AA GO8BT, Anchor Liberty, Behringer B108D, Anchor AN-1000.

I loved the SV115's and 112's. I first used the 115's on a rental then I bought a pair that I used solo and on occasion sitting on my Cerwin Vegas. I had them a couple of years and then bought the JBL's and then the Yorkies. I had a friend that was looking for speakers I lent them to him with an amp and after a year or so he wanted to buy them. I rarely sell gear but he had them so long it was like I was getting money for something that wasn't mine anyway

I loved the SV115's and 112's. I first used the 115's on a rental then I bought a pair that I used solo and on occasion sitting on my Cerwin Vegas. I had them a couple of years and then bought the JBL's and then the Yorkies. I had a friend that was looking for speakers I lent them to him with an amp and after a year or so he wanted to buy them. I rarely sell gear but he had them so long it was like I was getting money for something that wasn't mine anyway
The Yamaha Club speakers were very smooth sounding .. just limited in the ability to play loud. I ran them with Crest amps back in the day. I always wanted a set of JBL SRX .. mainly the SRX722 (dual 12s), but got the Yorville Unity set (tops/subs) instead.

When I used them I had a Nikko amp running the Cerwins and don't judge here but a JVC receiver running the Yammies. That JVC was the toughest piece of equipment I ever had

Reactions: ittigger
When I used them I had a Nikko amp running the Cerwins and don't judge here but a JVC receiver running the Yammies. That JVC was the toughest piece of equipment I ever had
We judge???!!

The Yamaha Club speakers were very smooth sounding .. just limited in the ability to play loud. I ran them with Crest amps back in the day. I always wanted a set of JBL SRX .. mainly the SRX722 (dual 12s), but got the Yorville Unity set (tops/subs) instead.
I had the SR 4732 possibly the best sounding I have owned