My gig last night

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
December has been slim, very slim around here. A local venue has been kind enough to throw a couple of el-cheapo things at me. A $500 DJ job next Friday for a Christmas party and last night my son and I supplied a photobooth. Yes, just a photobooth for a corporate Christmas party of about 180. Didn't they have a DJ? Well, yes they did. It was a 400-lb female, sitting all night behind a table with a numark mixer, running into a pair of EV ZXa1 tops (no sub). The first thing that struck me was, dang it, a bottom-feeder beat me out of a gig. As the night went on, however, it also struck me at just how good those itty-bitty EVs sounded. Now keep in mind, it was in a basement with block walls and maybe 1200-1500 sq feet but doggone it if those little dudes didn't put out enough to make a party happen (and no clip lights showing either). I sat back and watched how things went down. The DJ's song selections were okay, not great and she kept letting people sing, some karaoke and some with the vocal tracks. The party went the duration (until 11p). I really would like to know what she charged. I couldn't imagine it being over a few hundred bucks. Oh yea, no dance lighting at all.

Reactions: Ausumm and dunlopj
The ZXA1's and ZX1's are some really nice speakers. They don't look like much but they can really work. Being 8" though, I'd want a sub present - but the guests probably don't know any different.

Reactions: Ausumm and DJ TJ
December has been slim, very slim around here. A local venue has been kind enough to throw a couple of el-cheapo things at me. A $500 DJ job next Friday for a Christmas party and last night my son and I supplied a photobooth. Yes, just a photobooth for a corporate Christmas party of about 180. Didn't they have a DJ? Well, yes they did. It was a 400-lb female, sitting all night behind a table with a numark mixer, running into a pair of EV ZXa1 tops (no sub). The first thing that struck me was, dang it, a bottom-feeder beat me out of a gig. As the night went on, however, it also struck me at just how good those itty-bitty EVs sounded. Now keep in mind, it was in a basement with block walls and maybe 1200-1500 sq feet but doggone it if those little dudes didn't put out enough to make a party happen (and no clip lights showing either). I sat back and watched how things went down. The DJ's song selections were okay, not great and she kept letting people sing, some karaoke and some with the vocal tracks. The party went the duration (until 11p). I really would like to know what she charged. I couldn't imagine it being over a few hundred bucks. Oh yea, no dance lighting at all.

What amazes me is that other DJs who see DJs at events ALWAYS wonder how much that particular DJ charged to do the event, BUT nobody ever goes up to the DJ and ask them how much they charge. Why?

If I want to know, I always ask. I may not ask exactly how much they charged to do that event, BUT I will usually ask how much they typically go out for, and I get their card. ...It's rare for me though because I don't see many DJs in action because I don't do other services.

If you had gotten her card, you could have at least checked out her website (if she has one).

....In regards to just the 2 speakers. 70% of my events this year have been just 2 speakers. My corporate holiday party last night was just 2 speakers along with up lighting, and I had some light effects with me. It was an awesome party! Non Stop Dancing! It was in a "luxury tent" which the hotel puts up in their court yard as an extra event room for the holidays. Beautiful chandeliers, and gold ceiling with real doors. Nicest tent I have ever been in

St. Regis Holiday party set up.jpg
Up light in Truss.jpg

Reactions: Ausumm and dunlopj
I ask. But I don’t tell them I’m a dj. I just make simple talk, then come up with a similar need for a dj lousy like this venue.

So you said things are not looking good for December and you got thrown a Christmas party paying $500 which as you put it el cheapo. The amount of money is less than what you would have liked to get paid but you agreed to do the event. How much would your price quote have been? Now what are you providing for this event?

Basically you settled for a job you feel you should be getting paid more because you don't have any bookings for December. How much did you promote yourself out there that you're available to do an event in December?

So you said things are not looking good for December and you got thrown a Christmas party paying $500 which as you put it el cheapo. The amount of money is less than what you would have liked to get paid but you agreed to do the event. How much would your price quote have been? Now what are you providing for this event?

Basically you settled for a job you feel you should be getting paid more because you don't have any bookings for December. How much did you promote yourself out there that you're available to do an event in December?
Mix keep in mind he only did photo booth... no dj services.

Ricky, may I ask at what venue where that tent?

Down in D.C. at the St. Regis Hotel. High End Luxury hotel. Valet Parking is like $58 there. Fortunately, the Hotel coordinator gave me a validation pass, so I parked for FREE. Just tipped the valet attendant when he got my car. I got lucky with that!

Mix keep in mind he only did photo booth... no dj services.
I get that. I remember him saying he wasn't picked to be the DJ for that event and his thoughts was that DJ got paid $500. Which to him the way he put it was not a lot of money to pay a DJ to do that event. I wonder if he got paid more than $500 to provide a photo booth?

I get that. I remember him saying he wasn't picked to be the DJ for that event and his thoughts was that DJ got paid $500. Which to him the way he put it was not a lot of money to pay a DJ to do that event. I wonder if he got paid more than $500 to provide a photo booth?

You're an idiot. I did not say that she got paid $500, I said that I got paid $500 by the venue mgr to provide a photobooth. I don't know what she got paid but I doubt very seriously that it was $500. BTW, $500 isn't bad money for a company Christmas party (to me at least).

Reactions: Ausumm
BTW, $500 isn't bad money for a company Christmas party (to me at least).

It is not bad money as long as it's not in downtown D.C. or Baltimore on a Friday or Saturday.

In the suburbs, and not a far drive, and I can find a DJ for $500/4 hours for a holiday party, and parking is for sure free, or very cheap ...Even $500 for 5 hours is quite possible as long as it's a single sound system set up. If they need cocktail hour music in another area, then $500 won't cut it...at least with the experienced DJs that I know. Even though cocktail hour music is so easy to do these days. Single small speaker on a stand and blue tooth your phone or run a Ipod, but so many DJs want at least $75 to $100 to do that for the hour to them. More physical work, more pay.

Most corporate clients that are having smaller to mid size holiday parties in the suburbs are usually budgeting $400 or $500. The Cheap companies will not set a budget, and pick the absolute lowest price they receive. In the past, I have lost out to $225, $250, and $275 DJ quotes.

Honestly, what is happening in recent years, is many companies have a staff member who is a DJ on the side, and they get that guy to do the employee party for very cheap. Owner throws them $150 to do the music, and that guy probably just sets a playlist most of the night, and drinks and mingles any way.

The Holiday party I just did in D.C. on Saturday inquired about a photo booth. They were quoted $975 for one. They decided not to get a PB. Instead they set up their own Step and Repeat, and brought their own props, and had their hired Photographer take pictures of people there. Some guests pulled out their phones for the pics. Kind of like a make shift photo booth experience I guess.

I am glad they booked me with DJ and Up Lighting at least though.

Honestly, what is happening in recent years, is many companies have a staff member who is a DJ on the side, and they get that guy to do the employee party for very cheap. Owner throws them $150 to do the music, and that guy probably just sets a playlist most of the night, and drinks and mingles any way.

I suspect that was the case this past weekend. Not to be cruel, but I really couldn't see someone actually hiring the person who was there as a paid DJ. She also went upstairs with the rest of the employees for dinner. Either way, she actually did okay with the dancing portion so, if the owner did just hire an employee on the cheap, I can't fault him/her for their decision. BTW, yes, I should have qualified $500 as acceptable in these parts for a Christmas party.

Reactions: ittigger
You're an idiot. I did not say that she got paid $500, I said that I got paid $500 by the venue mgr to provide a photobooth. I don't know what she got paid but I doubt very seriously that it was $500. BTW, $500 isn't bad money for a company Christmas party (to me at least).
Sorry I made a mistake. I didn't mean any harm. I read things wrong.

I for one will vouch for those EV's.
I have the 12" tops...
and I have been using them quite often WITHOUT the subs.
Mainly because most of my recent gigs have been for small crowds, in small rooms, with little space.
Add a little bottom end, and they do just fine for their size.

image.png

Reactions: ittigger
I for one will vouch for those EV's.
I have the 12" tops...
and I have been using them quite often WITHOUT the subs.
Mainly because most of my recent gigs have been for small crowds, in small rooms, with little space.
Add a little bottom end, and they do just fine for their size.

View attachment 35811

I can see running without subs on the 12" but the ones I mentioned are the 8" units. I shelved my pair a few years ago, as it seemed I was always over-driving them. It really kinda shocked me at how much bottom-end she was getting out of them (without clip lights).