More of my clients are using Spotify for their playlists

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Ricky B

DJ Extraordinaire
Mar 9, 2015
The bride and groom completed their playlists for their ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner, and their songs they want for dancing all in playlist format on Spotifiy. They sent me the links on my planning form. All I had to do was click on the links, and the music was right there. The bride is from Brazil, so there is a lot of music from Brazil that I currently do not have, and may never play again. So it's great that she did this. It's also great because I do not have to spend hours searching, and downloading each track individually.

This will be the first wedding I plan to use "DJAY PRO" to perform with instead of Virtual DJ. DJAY PRO links with Spotify, and I can play the tracks directly from there.

I really like this because I literally spent almost zero time doing "Music Prep" for this gig. ...I downloaded the playlists to my spotify account, so they are there which took 1 click for each play list.

The bride and groom completed their playlists for their ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner, and their songs they want for dancing all in playlist format on Spotifiy. They sent me the links on my planning form. All I had to do was click on the links, and the music was right there. The bride is from Brazil, so there is a lot of music from Brazil that I currently do not have, and may never play again. So it's great that she did this. It's also great because I do not have to spend hours searching, and downloading each track individually.

This will be the first wedding I plan to use "DJAY PRO" to perform with instead of Virtual DJ. DJAY PRO links with Spotify, and I can play the tracks directly from there.

I really like this because I literally spent almost zero time doing "Music Prep" for this gig. ...I downloaded the playlists to my spotify account, so they are there which took 1 click for each play list.
I would have a backup plan if you lose internet connectivity ... maybe get your phone in sync with the playlist as well or get the paid version of Spotify (if you don't have it) to cache the songs.

I would have a backup plan if you lose internet connectivity ... maybe get your phone in sync with the playlist as well or get the paid version of Spotify (if you don't have it) to cache the songs.

I have the premium version. All the songs are cached. Although, That is not full proof. The Spotify software can act strange when you go to play songs offline though.

I may download that Sidify program to actually download the songs as well, but is that program completely legit?

Reactions: ittigger
I have the premium version. All the songs are cached. Although, That is not full proof. The Spotify software can act strange when you go to play songs offline though.

I may download that Sidify program to actually download the songs as well, but is that program completely legit?
I would say it's on the fair use side of "legit" only if you maintain the paid version. If you keep the songs and dump the paid Spotify, then probably not as legit. Just my opinion.

I would say it's on the fair use side of "legit" only if you maintain the paid version. If you keep the songs and dump the paid Spotify, then probably not as legit. Just my opinion.

Sounds right!

I meant Legit as in a good program that doesn't have any malware, adware or spyware involved with it. I mean I am paying $40 to get it if I download it.

Being a DJ based in Vancouver, BC, Canada, multicultural weddings are the norm for me. I can't tell you how many hundreds if not thousands of hours I've spent researching / finding / obtaining music for weddings. With that being said, I don't think I could go the Spotify route as I would be too worried about a 'glitch'.

I tried Spotify and even at the highest listening quality, it sounded bad - certainly not good enough for playback through a PA system.

I tried Spotify and even at the highest listening quality, it sounded bad - certainly not good enough for playback through a PA system.
The Free version is low quality .. the Premium is higher .. from the Sidify site:

Spotify Free provides 96 kbps as the standard bitrate for mobile, then jumps to 160 kbps for desktop and web player 'standard quality' and 'high quality' on mobile. If you subscribe Spotify Premium, you'll get 320 kbps which is 'high quality' on desktop and 'extreme quality' on mobile.

I will leave it to the great legal minds here to discuss; but I was under the understanding it was still against Spotify's TOS to stream for a commercial reason (ie: making money while DJ'ing). Even so, do not trust the stream - caching approach. But to each their own.

I will leave it to the great legal minds here to discuss; but I was under the understanding it was still against Spotify's TOS to stream for a commercial reason (ie: making money while DJ'ing). Even so, do not trust the stream - caching approach. But to each their own.
It's also in iTunes music, Google Music and Amazon music's TOS.

I don't know - but as applies to music at large (CD's, record, etc), the disclaimer meant that you could not play it in a public venue (commercial capacity) without paying royalties. Private events are exempt from this. If you're buying mp3's from iTunes, etc - the same applies.

Streaming may modify this - although - the flip side of that is that private events are small gatherings of family and close friends - so it may be the same. Personally, I do not trust streaming - nor the affects of autoupdating (or other issues) while at an event.

The issue is not you (the DJ) making money - the issue is the public venue using music in a commercial capacity to generate business (sell drinks, food, etc). If you are the promoter or financial beneficiary of an event with music, then you cannot play it without paying royalties / permission.

Last edited:

A wedding DJ is not a commercial user. Never has been, never will be.
Commercial use has nothing to do with how you acquire a given song. Commercial use also has nothing to do with whether or not you get paid. You can be a commercial user and never make a single dime.

A Commercial use is a use that exploits the license protected equity of the content. For example, using the song as a soundtrack in your video, background music on your website, or in your retail store; dance music in your bar. etc. The commercial user is the person or entity exploiting the equity of the content - it is not the person who puts the needle on the record. The DJ is just hired help.

Last edited:
It's not legal...so i keep reading over and over...

Over To You: Is It Legal To DJ From Spotify?

there is a spotify business...not exactly what we do..but the bmi/ascap fees are included..
Simple Pricing | Soundtrack Business

Not true IMO, and with the lawyers I've talked to.

You can copy a song and only play it for yourself - and you're broken the law.
You can rent a movie and watch it at home - fine. Play it for say, your church group (no tickets sold) and you broke the law.

"Commercial" use is almost always defined as having a 'benefit' to someone - no music, no DJ job...so yeah, you benefit from having the music.

MAYbe you can make a defense that the bar/hotel/venue pays a fee.
A busienss cannot legally play a radio station in their store or for music on hold - or in their elevators - LONG standing rules and laws on this.

But if YOU bring/supply the music are more than 'hired help' by every definition. YOU are benefitting from the content - no content and you have no job, nothing to do, nothing to sell, no value to bring. Unless they are providing the content.

and we know every dj brings the music...the content.

A wedding DJ is not a commercial user. Never has been, never will be.
Commercial use has nothing to do with how you acquire a given song. Commercial use also has nothing to do with whether or not you get paid. You can be a commercial user and never make a single dime.

A Commercial use is a use that exploits the license protected equity of the content. For example, using the song as a soundtrack in your video, background music on your website, or in your retail store; dance music in your bar. etc. The commercial user is the person or entity exploiting the equity of the content - it is not the person who puts the needle on the record. The DJ is just hired help.