Mixxx

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
An important thing to remember: a firewall will not protect you for a large number of the vulnerabilities that exist. A firewall does only one thing: controls incoming and outgoing traffic over a network. Most firewalls are an "open" or "closed" deal for various ports and there is no monitoring or "scrubbing" of traffic over ports you have open. They also don't protect you from vulnerabilities triggered locally (for example if you load a website and it uses a client-side scripting vulnerability or if you download something and run it.)

A good example on the uselessness of firewalls for most vulnerability types is a web server with Wordpress or something similar. In theory a web server only absolutely needs one port open to the internet and that's port 80. Every other port could be completely closed. If however there was a vulnrability in your website where loading some specific URL or putting some specific string of text in an input box could execute code on the server it would still be possible to load files onto the machine and do lots of nefarious things. (Wordpress has had hundreds of these types of vulnerabilities over the years.) I don't even run wordpress and here's logs from three different web servers showing bots looking for wordpress so they can abuse its vulnerabilities:

Requests with error response codes
404 Not Found
/wordpress/: 14 Time(s)
/wp-login.php: 8 Time(s)
/wp/: 2 Time(s)
/xmlrpc.php?rsd: 1 Time(s)

404 Not Found
/wp-login.php: 2 Time(s)

404 Not Found
//wp-login.php: 6 Time(s)
/blog//wp-login.php: 1 Time(s)
/sitemap.xml: 1 Time(s)
/wordpress//wp-login.php: 1 Time(s)
/wp//wp-login.php: 1 Time(s)

Those are just from yesterday... and it happens every single day. All three servers have firewalls on and running, the only thing protecting them from Wordpress vulnerabilities is not having Wordpress installed.

Firewalls are not the same thing as an IPS/IDPS which actually monitors network traffic.

If you use any operating system on the internet you're susceptible to zero-day vulnerabilities, but using an unsupported OS like XP means those zero-day's are never patched so they're a potential issue forever.

I guarantee the firewalls on my servers are configured better than most firewalls setup by people on their own computers. Only the absolutely most necessary of ports are open... Still apply security patches and monitor constantly. Firewalls are one piece of a good defence but they're absolutely minor compared to using a supported and patched OS.

Last edited:
You are all correct and because of those zero day vulnerabilities the only machine I do my banking and anything else requiring secure logins where sensitive info is transferred is my win7 machine.
The other xp machines are relegated to doing menial office tasks like invoicing, accounting and running other personal software on. I also don't let my machines talk to each other on the network so I'm not concerned with network wide vulnerabilities.

You both make a good case and even though it's sounds like I'm trying to stay living in the past, I just don't see the need to be on the forefront of technology. As was mentioned, let someone else be the beta tester.

I agree with this to a point. That said, you should have moved to Win7 when Win8 came out (as Win8 would have been the bleeding edge then). Something to keep in mind, when a new OS comes out, they're only releasing maintenance and security updates for the previous one. Windows Vista is up next to be tossed in the trash can (2017), followed by Win7 (2020).

FYI - Windows 7 has already ended 'Mainstream Support' (January 13, 2015) - but you will continue to get security updates until January 14, 2020. As of January 15, 2020 - there will be no more updates to Win7. This means you should be up and operating on Win10 well before January 15, 2020. Mainstream support mainly refers to free phone and online support, as well as non-security updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick James
You are all correct and because of those zero day vulnerabilities the only machine I do my banking and anything else requiring secure logins where sensitive info is transferred is my win7 machine.
The other xp machines are relegated to doing menial office tasks like invoicing, accounting and running other personal software on. I also don't let my machines talk to each other on the network so I'm not concerned with network wide vulnerabilities.

If they're connected to the same physical network, they are talking to each other. If a machine can get to the Internet, the Internet can get to it / them.

Yes you are correct, and I should have been clearer but I was referring to one machine being infected and then that machine subsequently infecting the others.

All critical updates are kept up to date on the win7 machine and as well I do proper backups of data only on all machines and keep ghost images of all os drives as a fresh install, and religiously once a year I reformat every OS drive and ghost in the fresh install and then do updates and re-ghost again to keep an updated ghost drive, so if something were to happen either from a hardware problem or software exploit I would be up and running very quickly with no critical data loss.

I am piecing together a few more desktop 64bit machines right now to put win 7 on so I can take advantage of the free upgrade before July, but I will still not likely put them into service in my office right away and will just continue to play with them for a while.

Looks like my DJ lappys will be getting win 7 shortly as well but I have no plans on even considering win 10 on them at this point even if they could run it. Those are the machines I am very happy to not be on the bleeding edge with and by the time win 7 support ends in 2020 who knows what tools I will be using to DJ with.

Last edited:
Reactions: ittigger
I understand .. and to be clearer from my end, if an XP machine is connected to a network and gets infected (yes they can get infected without surfing), then they can infect all other machines (to include Win7). Your network is only as strong as the weakest link.

Reactions: DJ TJ
Is there a way to see if a particular program will work with Windows 10 before installing it? Probably not...

BUT...MS says you can "go back" to 7 or 8 (whatever you had) after installing 10. Is this true?
Well... there IS one way I can think of. Use VMWare and make a Windows virtual machine on your computer. Install all your software on the Windows 10 VM and test it. If it doesn't work, delete it. You can download the VM Player for free in order to create and run your Windows 10 virtual machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In that specific case, because he was the only support and there is no further development .. at some point, his software will become obsolete.

Unfortunately, Rick would never entertain making his stuff work with iTunes libraries ... so for me, it was obsolete before I bought a copy (thought I'd help him out at the time). Functionally, it was fine .. had some neat features. The lack of iTunes integration, where every other major player had it, was an issue for me, since I make my playlists in iTunes.

Reactions: ittigger