Mics popping and sounding bad

Welcome to ODJT
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Sign up today!

scgstuff

DJ Extraordinaire
Jun 30, 2017
Central Texas
garrisentertainment.com
Worked a fundraiser on Saturday and everything was pretty much great! Music, MC'ing, etc went perfectly (we are already booked for next year.). The only issue we had was when the live auctioneer took over, the sound was horrible! The louder he got, the more the mic popped and sounded...well.....weird! We have the GTD G-787 mics (I know, cheap mics....cheap results) but they have always sounded good. I tried turning down the gain and up the volume, vice versa, adjusted all the EQs up and down, added a HPF, tried different FX settings on the mixer, etc. I have not looked at the setting on the mic receiver, maybe it can be adjusted. Why would someone basically yelling (he was a live auctioneer) into the mic cause it to pop and make noises?

Jun 12, 2018
What speakers were you using....could be the high end of them... was it like a rattle type pop... my wireless mics sound fantastic at normal speaking voice...but the minute i get a little loud there is a rattly pop sound on my speakers..... so i had a assumed that was my issue....interested to hear what others have to say

cc

ittigger

Hundred Acre Industry Icon
Feb 1, 2011
Western Maryland
The 'popping' could be the mic too close the the users mouth. Too much gain and/or volume would generally run into feedback. Too 'loud' and you risk popping speakers - though I think you would recognize this before you did it and most modern speakers are protected against this.

Sep 26, 2011
Prospect, CT
I'm still going to go with the "cheap mics....cheap results. Companding and squelching circuitry in the lower end gear, just isn't up to the level of the better ones. My guess is the with a higher dynamic range (loud speaker), it just coulding keep up.

scgstuff

DJ Extraordinaire
Jun 30, 2017
Central Texas
garrisentertainment.com
The 'popping' could be the mic too close the the users mouth. Too much gain and/or volume would generally run into feedback. Too 'loud' and you risk popping speakers - though I think you would recognize this before you did it and most modern speakers are protected against this.
He did have the mic right at his mouth and was (OK, this is Texas...) hollerin' into it.

Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.RickRyan.com
Worked a fundraiser on Saturday and everything was pretty much great! Music, MC'ing, etc went perfectly (we are already booked for next year.). The only issue we had was when the live auctioneer took over, the sound was horrible! The louder he got, the more the mic popped and sounded...well.....weird! We have the GTD G-787 mics (I know, cheap mics....cheap results) but they have always sounded good. I tried turning down the gain and up the volume, vice versa, adjusted all the EQs up and down, added a HPF, tried different FX settings on the mixer, etc. I have not looked at the setting on the mic receiver, maybe it can be adjusted. Why would someone basically yelling (he was a live auctioneer) into the mic cause it to pop and make noises?
I believe the GTD has a mic pad built into the transmitter. Anytime you have a very loud speaker you'll need to pad down the transmitter so you don't be overdriven at the source. This is not a "cheap mic" issue. The same thing happens on other brands as well.

scgstuff

DJ Extraordinaire
Jun 30, 2017
Central Texas
garrisentertainment.com
I believe the GTD has a mic pad built into the transmitter. Anytime you have a very loud speaker you'll need to pad down the transmitter so you don't be overdriven at the source. This is not a "cheap mic" issue. The same thing happens on other brands as well.
Thanks! So, needs to be changed on the mic itself. My trailer of gear is at the old house right now (new house has an angled driveway that the trailer was bottoming out on. Getting a new hitch that will raise the hitch ball later today and pull the gear back here. Hopefully no more bottoming out.

Will be setting up the gear and testing once it is back here. Will check that out.

Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.RickRyan.com
Thanks! So, needs to be changed on the mic itself. My trailer of gear is at the old house right now (new house has an angled driveway that the trailer was bottoming out on. Getting a new hitch that will raise the hitch ball later today and pull the gear back here. Hopefully no more bottoming out.

Will be setting up the gear and testing once it is back here. Will check that out.
I usually keep my mics and body packs padded down. It's much easier to push the gain up at the mixer than it is to get a loud speaker/singer that overdrives your transmitter.