Low Light, Fast Moves What Brainless Camera?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Chuck The DJ

I know people.
Sep 28, 2006
Sebastopol, California
www.chuckthedj.com
For those pics of people dancing, in low light, most of my pics come out blurry so I have to shoot a crapload to get a few good ones. I would love to find an easy "point & shoot" camera that I can use at events. I don't want a pro camera, but something that works and is easy for us non-professionals...

Attachments

• #wedding #chucklehnhard #weddingdj #dj #weddingceremony   (4).jpg
    #wedding #chucklehnhard #weddingdj #dj #weddingceremony (4).jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 17
  • #wedding #chucklehnhard #weddingdj #dj #weddingceremony   (5).jpg
    #wedding #chucklehnhard #weddingdj #dj #weddingceremony (5).jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 18
It's all a compromise .. to stop action, you need a fast enough shutter speed. A high shutter speed will limit the amount of light, which necessitates a large aperture to maximize the amount that comes in during the shutter open.

In general, you are probably looking at a shutter speed in the 1/600-1/800 sec range to minimize the motion blur. For a good camera, in that limited light shown in the images, you're looking at an aperture in the f1.4-1.8 range and an ISO of somewhere around 3200-4000. You can do much of that with a midrange camera .. say Nikon D3400 or D5500 or Canon T5i or T6i and a 50mm f1.8 prime lens. You might get some noise when you push the ISO up above 1600, but you'll get the image. The more light you have (including dance floor lighting, the more latitude you have in the settings.

Some of the better Canon Powershots might do it .. just not as familiar with those or the Nikon equivalents.

It's really difficult for a non-pro to get good shots in a dark environment with people moving quickly... also while DJing.

I post some of the blurry, non-pro photos every once in a while: Bela Sono Music - Excuse the iPhone quality photo... but... | Facebook

But, I also chat with most of the photographers I work with in order to see if they want to share, and many do: Gallery Recap: Nick and Jessica's Rustic Virginia Wedding

The cameras on phones are getting better and better at low light. But, I don't know of a point and shoot that can reliably get comparable quality to a pro.

Tried several brand and styles that boast results exactly what you're looking for, Chuck. Turns out to be exactly that...boasting.

You're better off getting the latest and greatest smart phone. Those cameras rival the inexpensive point and shoots all day long.

Have you considered the GoPro? I have been tempted to give it a shot.

I've also considered the GoPro for a couple of reasons. I'd love to get more event video, or time lapse stuff. And, also it would help me get B-roll or a second angle when I shoot video in my home studio.

Like Steve said, it takes a low F-stop to work in low light situations. On average, a F2.8 lens, 3000-5000 iso and 1/125th on shutter speed works beautifully. The real trick though is that you'll need to use some type of strobe to get clean images. If you're considering DSLR, the t6 ($450), 1.8 50mm lens ($100) and a $60, 500-series yongnuo speedlight will get you some really clean, great-looking images. As for point-and-shoot, I wouldn't bother. An iphone 6 or 7 will likely get you better overall shots but keep in mind that you're working without flash (the little flash on the camera isn't good at longer distances) so you're always going to be fighting grainy, dark images. Back on the DSLR, I just bought a practically new T1i for $125 off craigslist. For less than $300, you could be setup with the lens/speedlight combo I mentioned and it would get very good shots. If you wanted to go with a variable-length lense, the Sigma F2.8, 24-70mm is excellent and runs $750. BTW, one trick to keep in min for dance floor shots, 1/125th on shutter speed is usually fine for dance shots. Also, on the speedlight, I tend to run mine at 1/32nd or 1/64th power and with a diffusor or bounce-card. It puts enough light out to get the image clean, but you still keep a lot of the ambiance of the space and without hot-spots in the field of flash.

Reactions: Cap Capello
I like Steve's suggestions and they don't cost that much as you can find some nice deals on the T5i.