Losing Touch? Not With The Youth But With The Old !

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Cap Capello

Always @ Ur Service
ODJT Supporter
Dec 14, 2006
Saratoga, NY
www.imadj.com
Two 50th Anniversary in back to back weekends. Looking out at the audiences to sea of blue hair, canes and walkers, with a sprinkling of middle age and some millennials.

Response to : "Runaround Sue", "Pretty Woman", "Ain't Too Proud To Beg", Don't Be Cruel", etc? Meh.

"Stayin Alive", "Love Shack", "Brick House", "Uptown Funk" ... shazaam.

Got a big laugh at the first one when I said, " the clicking and popping you were hearing was not my record, it's the dance floor's knees and hips."

It seems the musical division of that generation (disco versus rock, pop versus peace) has only budged a little closer to middle ground.

And as always, the slow tunes packed the floor. Decided on a five - two mix early, and a four - two in the last hour, which worked extremely well.

I've noticed that our generation of "old people" are tired of listening to "their" oldies; tastes have moved up a decade or more. You did mean "five - two" being 5 fast and 2 slow?
I've got an 80 Birthday party in a couple weeks. Should be interesting what brings the guests out on to the dance floor.

I have a 50th class reunion coming up soon. I've been correcting tags for the year on my sixties library. I hate it when a 60s compilation CD was released in 2006 and that's the year tagged on every song! Now you have me thinking slow songs.

I've noticed that our generation of "old people" are tired of listening to "their" oldies; tastes have moved up a decade or more. You did mean "five - two" being 5 fast and 2 slow?
I've got an 80 Birthday party in a couple weeks. Should be interesting what brings the guests out on to the dance floor.

You never know what brings people to the dance floor. Several years ago I was doing a party at a nursing home; people with wheel chairs, walkers and those who were brought in from the Alzheimer's ward. I had one lady in a wheel chair come to the DJ table and ask me to dance with her. How many have ever danced with a lady in a wheel chair? I obliged. Later on, I had one of the sitting "wall flowers" from the "A" ward get up and start dancing by herself...something in her memory clicked for a few minutes. That was a bit unusual.

I do a lot of DJ'ing for older Latino's - they are dancing fools that do not act their age. I have created slowed down versions of the faster Merengue's and Salsa's they love - usually about 5% slower. I don't tell them, I don't think they know it, but it keeps them off of oxygen.
I've got an old version of Cool Edit Pro 2.1 that does a real good job at this - definitely better sounding than the algorithm Audacity uses. I know iZotope RX also sounds good, but has no "save as mp3" option.

You never know what brings people to the dance floor.Later on, I had one of the sitting "wall flowers" from the "A" ward get up and start dancing by herself...something in her memory clicked for a few minutes. That was a bit unusual.

No...that was amazing! Never underestimate the power of remembering music.

When my Dad was at the stage where he could hardly communicate, I used to bring him headphones and my I Pod to listen to classical music he used to love. He would sit up, open his eyes and "conduct" a bit....once he heard it...really cool to see.

No...that was amazing! Never underestimate the power of remembering music.

When my Dad was at the stage where he could hardly communicate, I used to bring him headphones and my I Pod to listen to classical music he used to love. He would sit up, open his eyes and "conduct" a bit....once he heard it...really cool to see.

Had a similar experience... When my mom was in the hospital, essentially waiting to die, they had her on morphine for pain. I took her a little CD player with a CD I recorded with all the songs I can remember her playing when I was a kid. I put the headphones on her and you could see an instant change in her. Music is powerful.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irMy big "generational" moment came about 10 years ago when a 50-something requested "Shook Me All Night Long".
I remembered when you couldn't get away with playing that at a wedding...
and if you DID play it, you got real dirty looks from the 50 year olds.

That's also when I started having an issue with people requesting "oldies".....
when the request came from someone in the 20's.
("and exactly WHAT do you consider an "oldie"...)

Last year I did a 70th anniversary! (not a typo)
The couple was in their 90's and acted like they were teenagers.
That gig was 95% music from the 40's, and all background music.

That's also when I started having an issue with people requesting "oldies".....
when the request came from someone in the 20's.
("and exactly WHAT do you consider an "oldie"...)

Most of my music conversations with clients revolves around defining the language, and creating a shared vernacular. Whether it's oldies or "No hip hop," knowing what they mean when they say that is sooooo critical to what we do and understanding their vision.

No offense, but created? What you're doing is editing. And did you know that you can change the tempo with your DJ program without doing the extra work of editing?
Your terminology is correct. Yes, I can edit the Tempo with my DJ program, but if you listen closely, many do not sound good when doing a 5% or more change.

Most of my music conversations with clients revolves around defining the language, and creating a shared vernacular. Whether it's oldies or "No hip hop," knowing what they mean when they say that is sooooo critical to what we do and understanding their vision.

I wasn't talking about the client....
I was talking about the random guest who asks for "oldies" as a request.
And because of their age, you have the ask them, "what do you consider to be an oldie??"
When I first started 30 years ago, I knew exactly what "oldies" were (1950's).

Also did a 50th anniversary party Saturday. This one did like their 60's oldies though. 4 fast, 2 slow worked better for this crowd.
Hot set had Chances Are (their first dance), Can't Help Falling In Love With You, Old Time R&R, Mony Mony and Dance To The Music .
Well look, another local DJ, Hey Andy,

I wasn't talking about the client....
I was talking about the random guest who asks for "oldies" as a request.
And because of their age, you have the ask them, "what do you consider to be an oldie??"
When I first started 30 years ago, I knew exactly what "oldies" were (1950's).

Untitled.jpg

We call them "Classic" stations instead .. :)

Reactions: ittigger