Look for new subs

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

tunes4046

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Jul 24, 2008
Fennimore Wi
looking for compact 18's or 15 that sounds like an 18 which I have have never personally heard budget is up $3500 for a pair of the them must have factory casters available and I would prefer a factory cover

looking for compact 18's or 15 that sounds like an 18 which I have have never personally heard budget is up $3500 for a pair of the them must have factory casters available and I would prefer a factory cover

I'll be able to comment on the Altos this weekend. I went ahead and ordered a 2nd unit and planning to use one under each top. Personally, I don't like the tone of 18s, any of them. 15s seem to have much more punch and, if these Altos perform decently, I'll likely just order a 2nd pair for larger jobs. 4 of these subs would run you $2k.

What do you need ...

For slam factor, I think the EV ETX-18sp are killer, but not quite compact
For minimal weight, I REALLY like the RCF SUB 7 series .. 705AS-II and 708AS-II.
For musicality, the QSC KW181 is nice too.

JBL PRX818XLF is another decent option .. similar to the QSC. (SRX818SP is another option)

At $1750 per, you have a lot of options. Most of the "better" subs carry a heavy weight premium. If you are only rolling them, maybe that's not an issue.

The Bassboss units were at the DJ Expo last year and were impressive ... SSP118 Powered Subwoofer | BASSBOSS Powered Loudspeakers

Reactions: Albatross
At $1750 per, you have a lot of options. Most of the "better" subs carry a heavy weight premium. If you are only rolling them, maybe that's not an issue.

The Bassboss units were at the DJ Expo last year and were impressive ... SSP118 Powered Subwoofer | BASSBOSS Powered Loudspeakers
That's the reason the must have casters I have had qsc hpr 181's for 8 years I have never lifted them off the ground roll out of trailer roll into venue roll back into trailer I do not like the KW 181 compared to the HPR series

That's the reason the must have casters I have had qsc hpr 181's for 8 years I have never lifted them off the ground roll out of trailer roll into venue roll back into trailer I do not like the KW 181 compared to the HPR series

One of my guys uses a single KW 181. It goes deep, and produces a lot of volume but for whatever reason I just don't like the tone. It's tubby and not well-defined. Perhaps it's just my personal preference but seems that all 18s suffer from the same thing. My Yorkie could hit hard and go deep but definition was just lacking. I realize I took the cheap route on these new subs but I'm really hopeful that they're going to have a better tone and, with 4 of them, I'm thinking they should handle the handful of larger events I do per year.

Reactions: steve149
The HPR181 wasn't compact, and is probably a similar size to the EV ETX or JBL PRX/SRX. I have not heard the SRX (though loved the older passive SRX boxes).

There are larger boxes (Danley, JTR, etc) that are awesome, but if you're looking compact, I think you can't go wrong with either the EV ETX or the JBL SRX. The RCF and JBL PRX would be a lighter weight alternative.

Weight does not matter as long as it has casters I guess I was thinking of my HPR's as compact I'm old I remember passive subs of the 80's and 90's

<= No one could resist that mustachioed hunk with the permed hair ....

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Bobcat Your not right! Is that your fantasy Steve??

Reactions: DJ Bobcat

Would you be against double 12's? Check out the JTR Captivator 212pros? Reviews are really good on these. What kind of top boxes are you using? I don't think the JTR's have a hi-pass out on them. Same thing with the bassboss ssp118. The ssp118 would be over your listed budget.

Also take a look at the captivator 118pro.

Captivator 118PRO

Captivator 212PRO