Local DJ being taken to court

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Ron

DJ Extraordinaire
Jun 14, 2011
Charleston, South Carolina
www.rcbaudio.com
I met this guy once about 8 years ago. Seems like the last year or so he has really been messing up. I know several local DJ's he farmed work out to and never paid them; even a couple of wedding planners I know who he got to work for him and never paid. He really used to have a solid reputation which is probably got people to work for him on a "pay after" basis; but I think his rep is shot now.

Lowcountry company may end up in court after leaving brides at altar

Looks like his business is finished. He obviously made some poor life decisions, and has some big financial issues.

Another reason for brides/grooms TO NOT PAY IN FULL to vendors before the wedding day. Guys like this make everybody else look bad.

"I have read about photo booth vendors sometimes not showing up...This is why I prefer to pay the balance at the wedding, after you show up..." If brides/grooms read enough stories like this, that will be their stance.

Likewise...If a Vendor takes a long time to pay me I will let it be known to everybody moving forward...Another reason why I am not sub contracting with other DJ companies moving forward. I only work with Agents for now on. If another DJ company wants to book me, they are free to send their client my way, and I will book direct.

The bad thing is the Bride in the article actually has a screenshot of his FB page where when he was supposed to be at her wedding he posted being at a campfire cooking smores...

Oh man, I'd love to hear what the judge would say after seeing those pics.

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger
Looks like his business is finished. He obviously made some poor life decisions, and has some big financial issues.

Another reason for brides/grooms TO NOT PAY IN FULL to vendors before the wedding day. Guys like this make everybody else look bad.

"I have read about photo booth vendors sometimes not showing up...This is why I prefer to pay the balance at the wedding, after you show up..." If brides/grooms read enough stories like this, that will be their stance.

Likewise...If a Vendor takes a long time to pay me I will let it be known to everybody moving forward...Another reason why I am not sub contracting with other DJ companies moving forward. I only work with Agents for now on. If another DJ company wants to book me, they are free to send their client my way, and I will book direct.
I've said this before but I wouldn't pay a DJ, or florist, or caterer in full beforehand. I cannot think of anyone I pay in full before services are rendered. The only difference between you and my mechanic is you have much more limited stock (dates) which is why you take a non-refundable deposit. My mechanic only has so many hours in a day. If I schedule an appointment and don't show up he's in effect out of that time.

I have no problem kicking out something in advance. Usually, if I use a new mechanic I'll suggest parts + half labor upfront this mitigates risk for both of us. Parts are paid for and if the labor is done correctly he gets paid in full. If something isn't right I have room for negotiation.

I often work on other people's websites, computers, or servers. For established clients I don't take anything upfront unless parts are needed and often times I'll float that. New clients pay half of the estimate up front. As a DJ your clients are new and unless you're have a fantastic reputation locally why should they trust you anymore than you would trust them to show up six months down the line?

I've said this before but I wouldn't pay a DJ, or florist, or caterer in full beforehand. I cannot think of anyone I pay in full before services are rendered. The only difference between you and my mechanic is you have much more limited stock (dates) which is why you take a non-refundable deposit. My mechanic only has so many hours in a day. If I schedule an appointment and don't show up he's in effect out of that time.

I have no problem kicking out something in advance. Usually, if I use a new mechanic I'll suggest parts + half labor upfront this mitigates risk for both of us. Parts are paid for and if the labor is done correctly he gets paid in full. If something isn't right I have room for negotiation.

I often work on other people's websites, computers, or servers. For established clients I don't take anything upfront unless parts are needed and often times I'll float that. New clients pay half of the estimate up front. As a DJ your clients are new and unless you're have a fantastic reputation locally why should they trust you anymore than you would trust them to show up six months down the line?

I understand your logic, however

If you were throwing a mid level to high end wedding for you and your bride to be, then you would automatically be nixing MOST mid level to upper tier florists, DJs, photographers, and especially Caterers from your pool of vendors you would find out there.

As far as Caterers, I can guarantee you that every single one of them that are reputable will require payment in full prior to the event. 90% of them require full payment at least 14 days ahead of time. ...Even Carrabas Restaurant requires their clients to pay in full for Catering before the Caterer leaves the kitchen ready to go to the event. ...They are at least more lax on payment than wedding caterers are though.

Same with the Venue. I don't know of any Venue (Even American Legions) that don't require final payment at least 14 days prior to the event date. Most of them are 30 days in advance now.

I know that Lawyers require payment in full prior to the Trial date. Some lawyers who take big money cases might work for 33% of the settlement if they win, but outside of that Lawyers get paid in full before the trial.

Reactions: Dan The Man
To add to this, you pay for an extended car warranty in full prior to the warranty even beginning. On top of that, you may never even use the warranty!

You need to pay for your monthly rent for an apartment in full at the beginning of the month before you live in it for the rest of the month. ...Legally according to the lease agreement of course. You can always live in it, and pay late at the very end of the month, but then you have late fees and a pissed off land lord to deal with.

You pay for your health insurance for the next 30 days, and you may never even use it! When you purchase a meal at McDonalds, Wendys, Burger King, Arbys, Chipotle, Qdoba, Panera, in full up front at the cash register before you even get to take a bite of the food!

Try telling the McDonalds cashier "Hey when I go to a full service restaurant I don't have to pay until the end of the meal...I want to do that here too. I want to make sure the food tastes good, and I'm satisfied before I purchase!!!!" ....Yeah try saying that at McDonalds and see what happens! ...

Reactions: Dan The Man
You pay for an extended warranty up front because you get a better price and people usually roll it into the price of the vehicle, so they are paying for it over 'x' time. You don't have to buy it when you buy the car - and can buy it at a later date.

Housing, depends on the lease .. most pay a one month security deposit (in advance) and then your months rent can be due at the beginning, end or any day really of the month.

At a sit down restaurant, you don't pay after you eat because you want to wait to see if the food sucks. It's just a different model. Fast food charges when you place your order for efficiency. Also, if the food truly did suck after you ate it, you can get your money back in both models.

When I had to have a lawyer present, I have not had to pay in full before hearings.

Venues & Caterers .. also depends. Most require 50% up front with the balance due anywhere from 30 days prior right up to the day of (I've seen alot of 1 or 2 days prior).

------

Why Is the First of the Month So Popular?:

Leases Usually Begin on the First- Many leases begin on the first of the month. Therefore, it makes sense that all rent payments would also be due on the first of each month.

People Get Paid- Many people get paid at the end of the week or at the end of the month. Therefore, people will usually receive their paycheck right before the rent is due, which increases the odds that they will have the money available to make their monthly rent payment.

Get Rent Before Other Bills Are Due- Due dates for bills such as utilities, credit cards and mortgages are scattered throughout the month. By collecting rent on the first of the month, before these other bills are due, you are increasing your odds that the tenant will have the money available to pay your rent instead of using this money to pay another bill that was due earlier.

Easy to Remember- Another reason collecting rent on the first of the month is a good idea is because it is easy to remember for both you and your tenant. When a new month begins, the rent is due.

Last edited:
You pay for your health insurance for the next 30 days, and you may never even use it! When you purchase a meal at McDonalds, Wendys, Burger King, Arbys, Chipotle, Qdoba, Panera, in full up front at the cash register before you even get to take a bite of the food!

Try telling the McDonalds cashier "Hey when I go to a full service restaurant I don't have to pay until the end of the meal...I want to do that here too. I want to make sure the food tastes good, and I'm satisfied before I purchase!!!!" ....Yeah try saying that at McDonalds and see what happens! ...

So we have become the McDonalds of the entertainment industry?

I can see someone wanting final payment before an event but if it's cash or ETransfer why 14 days pr 30 or 90?

I understand your logic, however

If you were throwing a mid level to high end wedding for you and your bride to be, then you would automatically be nixing MOST mid level to upper tier florists, DJs, photographers, and especially Caterers from your pool of vendors you would find out there.

As far as Caterers, I can guarantee you that every single one of them that are reputable will require payment in full prior to the event. 90% of them require full payment at least 14 days ahead of time. ...Even Carrabas Restaurant requires their clients to pay in full for Catering before the Caterer leaves the kitchen ready to go to the event. ...They are at least more lax on payment than wedding caterers are though.

Same with the Venue. I don't know of any Venue (Even American Legions) that don't require final payment at least 14 days prior to the event date. Most of them are 30 days in advance now.

I know that Lawyers require payment in full prior to the Trial date. Some lawyers who take big money cases might work for 33% of the settlement if they win, but outside of that Lawyers get paid in full before the trial.
Good points. You're good. :) My only rebuttal is that caterers and florists all have product costs while DJs do not. The caterer has to buy food in advance. The florist the flowers in advance. If you cancel the last minute and reneg on the contract the food and flowers were still paid for and will either go to waste or be sold near or at cost to avoid it ending up in the dumpster.

DJs are closer to photographers. The chief difference being photographers usually provide a something 'concrete' like an album or CD of pictures. As DJs you show up, make announcements/play, and leave. No doubt the DJ is probably the most important vendor for setting the tone and enjoyment level of the event but you have don't have to kick out any money for supplies except for the occasional oddball request that costs you a dollar or two to download.

r
Good points. You're good. :) My only rebuttal is that caterers and florists all have product costs while DJs do not. The caterer has to buy food in advance. The florist the flowers in advance. If you cancel the last minute and reneg on the contract the food and flowers were still paid for and will either go to waste or be sold near or at cost to avoid it ending up in the dumpster.

DJs are closer to photographers. The chief difference being photographers usually provide a something 'concrete' like an album or CD of pictures. As DJs you show up, make announcements/play, and leave. No doubt the DJ is probably the most important vendor for setting the tone and enjoyment level of the event but you have don't have to kick out any money for supplies except for the occasional oddball request that costs you a dollar or two to download.

Agreed. It's not like it use to be 15+ years ago where the DJ would pretty much physically have to take trips to the store to purchase any music they did not need.

However, I have also heard this stance in regards to payment in full from many wedding professionals.

"The bride/groom should not have to be burdened with worrying about paying their vendors on the day of their special day. Payment should be taken care of and out of the way before the wedding day occurs to ensure a stress free day" ...I have seen a few wedding planners on forums straight up tell their clients that all their vendors payments are to be taken care of 14 days ahead of the wedding so everything runs smoothly, and the budget is simplified.

However, I have also heard this stance in regards to payment in full from many wedding professionals.

"The bride/groom should not have to be burdened with worrying about paying their vendors on the day of their special day. Payment should be taken care of and out of the way before the wedding day occurs to ensure a stress free day".

I've heard this line too - and to some extent, I agree with it.

I can see someone wanting final payment before an event but if it's cash or ETransfer why 14 days pr 30 or 90?

Because Seasoned Wedding DJs say so, that is why!!! :director:

DJs need their money way in advance to ensure not losing any money which is rightfully theirs for holding the date...obtaining clients willing to pay top dollar, and Making Money is getting harder...so collect it as soon as possible!!!

I've heard this line too - and to some extent, I agree with it.
+1. Though I do find it to be a bit self serving. Balances could just as easily be paid 14 days after the wedding and not add stress to an already stressful day. It may in fact be less stressful because the couple will have money from the envelopes to help pay the fees.

+1. Though I do find it to be a bit self serving. Balances could just as easily be paid 14 days after the wedding and not add stress to an already stressful day. It may in fact be less stressful because the couple will have money from the envelopes to help pay the fees.

LOL. I wouldn't count on waiting for the client to pay. It's hard enough getting clients on the phone, or to respond to emails pre booking...and even often after being booked but before the wedding.

I can see a couple going on their honeymoon, and coming back broke, and paying the DJ for the wedding from 2 weeks earlier would be the last thing on their mind. Many clients wouldn't willfully remember to go "oh yeah, let me pop a check in the mail" or "oh let me email the DJ and get the payment taken care of. ...The DJ would have to get in touch with them, and be at their whim waiting for the payment.

I have been in that position with other DJ companies, and even agents before...waiting weeks to get paid. ...We also had a few checks from clients bounce years back, and one client took 7 weeks to finally pay us. It's a terrible position, and feeling to have over the money.

I have a few Doctors Bills on my son from the hospital that hasn't been paid, and the hospital dates were in March. ...They aren't getting paid because the fees are ridiculous. I wasn't told what the fees were when I booked the appointments, and had I known what the fees were beforehand I would have not had made the appointment. In my view, it's their fault that they expect to actually bill me 6 to 7 months after the appointment and expect to actually get paid their ridiculous fee. ...I'll be happy to negotiate the fee to consider the bill paid in full, but not paying what they are asking.

Again, what's to stop a client of a DJ to negotiate the fee after the event is said and done...or not pay all together? ...There is nothing the DJ can do. Take them to small claims court? Still have to collect the payment yourself if you get a judgement.

"The bride/groom should not have to be burdened with worrying about paying their vendors on the day of their special day. Payment should be taken care of and out of the way before the wedding day occurs to ensure a stress free day"

I don't require final payment until the day of. But during my planning meetings, I have a version of that conversation. "Most of my clients prefer to get it out of the way and pop a check in the mail ahead of time so they don't have to deal with it. But however you want to deal with final payment is up to you. As long as we have it by day of, you are in good shape!" And the vast majority take care of it ahead of time. They trust me, and I trust them.

I don't require final payment until the day of. But during my planning meetings, I have a version of that conversation. "Most of my clients prefer to get it out of the way and pop a check in the mail ahead of time so they don't have to deal with it. But however you want to deal with final payment is up to you. As long as we have it by day of, you are in good shape!" And the vast majority take care of it ahead of time. They trust me, and I trust them.

That is similar to how I do it as well. I also don't require payment until the day of. I tried the "balance due 14 days prior to the event" and it was a hassle with my clients. More than 30% of them weren't paying on time and I ended up collecting the day of anyway.

Now, I'm offering a discount for paying in full up front at booking with check only as an incentive. Balance payment isn't due until the day of the event date under a standard payment set up, but I am collecting a 50% deposit for now on. I did the 33% deposit for the past 7 years, and have moved to 50% moving forward. The agencies I work with are 50%, and I noticed the majority of vendors are at 50% these days as well.

"

I've done that for years, and with the same line also. However, I'm now telling them that balance is due, one week prior. It doesn't appear to be causing any resistance. As far as practice and whether any of us deserve to be paid up-front, day-of, or after the event, that's up to you. My business concern is not for the client, it's for MY profitability. Getting paid prior to the event removes the fear and worry associated with working an event and wondering if you're going to have to fight to get paid or not.

Reactions: DJ_MJ
This is nothing new. I remember I think the company was Solid Gold that dealt wih all 50 states if I'm not mistaken. They had a ton of lawsuits against them. From DJs not getting paid for jobs and stiffing clients out of doing jobs keeping the money paid to them.

In my contract I have the clause about being paid as such. I give the client a certain amount of time before the final payment is due and if it is to be the day of that it be done in cash prior to setting up our gear. I put this in to protect my business so I don't get stiffed from a client. If I sigh a contract with a client my job is to be there to work for that client. Thank God I have never had a situation arise where I couldn't show up. The only thing that would make me a no show is either my mother dying the day of or if I got hospitalized the day of. So far so good. Just so you know I do have DJs who are friends of mine that are very good and if it were to come to that I could call one of them to see if they were available to cover the event for me. I had to add that in because I know someone would mention that and wonder if I have a backup plan just in case.

For me my reputation is PRICELESS!