Lav Mic

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

ittigger

Hundred Acre Industry Icon
Staff member
ODJT Supporter
Feb 1, 2011
Hundred Acre Wood
Ok guys, somehow or other, I either got rid of, sold, misplaced my lav mic/wireless set - or it ran off with some other hot lav - last seen within the last 5 years. If you seen it wandering around town, please tell it to come home.

Until then, I need to put another in its spot quickly (as in 2 days). What would you pick up? Keep in mind, I may have to source this from stores locally. Also keep in mind that it needs to be able to perform reliably (wedding).

Last edited:
Just the mic or full set?

Reactions: ittigger
Go to Guitar Center, and ask if they have a Shure BLX Lav system. They probably do.

Or get the Combo system that I have. Cost will be $599 either way unless you have a coupon or you get them to price match for you.

I would recommend other, more cost effective alternatives, but you are in a time crunch...relying on internet delivery isn't feasible at this point.

Guitar Center MIGHT have a Audio Technica Lav unit in stock for like $349...They use to have a UHF unit they sold. It's channel selectable, and a single unit.

Good point about GC .. they will usually price match, so if you are looking for better, we can find the best price and you can match.

Reactions: SEDJ and ittigger
I was looking at GC and a bunch of the higher ends (like the XSW12 and BLX) are '3-7 days'. I would like to price match too if you have anything I can price match. :)

Considering I have to keep it, would like quality.

What was your last one - the one that got away? A lot depends on your area and the population size. I'm guessing Western Maryland isn't a metro area. Also, GC has a return policy of 30 days - I think.

If I recall, the last one was an AT unit. For this specific ceremony, I'm guesstimating the system should be within 100' of the transmitter. Maybe 50 people.

Western, MD - no, not a metro area but I have 3 GC's, each within an hour or 7 within 2 hours. Also have Chuck Levins (Washington Music Center).

Last I checked, anything that touches your head / face (headphones/microphone) is not returnable

I'm just thinking more channels are better in a large metro area. I have the ATW 2000 which had a lot of drop outs until I upgraded the antenna. Price was $349.

Agree about the channels. My other wireless systems are Sennheiser EW135 G2's and G3's, AT DR-1600 and AT (whatever the lav was).

I've got a price of
$261.10 for the ATW-2129b (2000 series w/lav) .. either 656-678MHz or 487-506MHz
$343.86 for the ATW-1301/L System 10 Pro digital w/lav
$245.21 for the Shure BLX14CVL
$315.15 for Sennheiser XSW12

Let me know what they have and we can find a good price ...

Here's the prices I got from GC - these specific ones are in stock. Person I spoke to recommended XSW12.

Shure GLXD - 519
Shure BLX24 (better mic) - 400
Shure BLX24 - 300

Senn XSW12 - 400
Senn D1 - 800

Last edited:
Reactions: SEDJ
Update: I picked up a few Sennheiser XSW12 units. I will be configuring and testing over the next day and at least one will go live Saturday. I'll follow up with my thoughts after the event.

As of this moment, this particular system will be passive - Peavey PV8 mixer running into a Crown Xti2000 into EV ZX1's.

Last edited:
Reactions: SEDJ
Test update: Everything was configured and worked well. Test area is a garage, so there was some feedback present. Used a goRack to try to tame it a little (anti-feedback setting 1). Opening the garage seemed to help as well (as the sound could move more). System goes live tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Update: Day of, on site testing went a little different. Mic's plugged into XLR ports were real hot. Switching them to 1/4" seemed to tame that. Also picked up new freq's as I had some interference where I was. The ONLY issue I had was when one of the ministers (there were 2) decided to sit with his family in the audience, receiver was located lower than they were sitting (outdoors on a farm in the field), and the audience effectively blocking the signal. Quickly remedied by asking him to stand where he said he would be. Other than that, excellent mic coverage, reception and clarity.

Update: I picked up a few Sennheiser XSW12 units. I will be configuring and testing over the next day and at least one will go live Saturday. I'll follow up with my thoughts after the event.

As of this moment, this particular system will be passive - Peavey PV8 mixer running into a Crown Xti2000 into EV ZX1's.

Mind sharing what you paid?