Keep my old Passive speakers and amps? Or Sell?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Ricky B

DJ Extraordinaire
Mar 9, 2015
I have a set of JBL JRX115s that just sit in storage. They are in GREAT Condition. I also have two amplifiers that sit as well. I have not used them at all in the last 2 years. I thought I would keep them for maybe when I get an outdoor gig that requires setting the speakers apart, or just to use them because it would be an outdoor gig. However, outside of that, they are 61 lbs each, plus the amps. So I just don't bother with them.

My question is...Should I continue to keep them, or "let them go" and sell these speakers and amps and get some value for them while they may still have value left.

Oh, I checked like 8 months ago at Guitar Center...They wouldn't even bother taking passive speakers in on store credit. Now I understand they are not even stocking passive speakers any more at all. Guessing I can only sell outright, or maybe to a pawn shop if I decide to sell.

So, any real reason to actually keep Passive Speakers moving forward?

A year ago, I would have said yes. But that was before I purchased my EV EKX's. I have a set of passive PVs and an amp for when I have to do a ceremony and reception at the same venue but in different locations so I don't have to move equipment at crunch time. That is the only reason I keep my passives and amp. And that is probably only until I buy another set of powered.

I try not to hang on to old gear. It takes up too much room and just continues to depreciate in most cases.

I'd see if you can move them on Craigslist.

It's getting harder to unload older speakers even if they're powered. New cheap, light weight speakers have made older speakers undesirable. They'll sell if the price is right but it will most likely take time.

Well the JRX's are JBL's entry level speakers, you get a cheap cabinet with a JBL logo on it, I doubt you'd be able to get $100 for the pair you may as well keep them

Reactions: MIXMASTERMACHOM
I would donate them to a local organization (VFW or similar) and take the tax write-off.

People are trying to get $300 or more for a pair of them on Craigslist still. Of course they probably just sit, and don't sell at all.

The Amps that I have are QSC GX3, and a Crown XLS602D

The amps you can probably sell easily on eBay. Speakers are tough as the shipping is more than the value in some cases.

People are trying to get $300 or more for a pair of them on Craigslist still. Of course they probably just sit, and don't sell at all.

The Amps that I have are QSC GX3, and a Crown XLS602D
I had the same speakers in the double 15, horrible sound until I upgraded the horn drivers, still a cheap cabinet, press board, cheap components inside, if you wanna keep a passive system around, keep the amps and get some decent used speakers good stuff can be had on the cheap because of the massive change over to active systems

Upon taking everybody's advice to sell, I have sold these 2 speakers.

A guy from Howard County is driving up right now. I gotta go and get them out of storage.

I took them to the local Pawn Shop, and they were only willing to offer me $60 for the pair...Funny...they had a pair of 15 inch Siesmic Audio (Ugly looking passive speakers) priced at $299 sitting there. My JBLs were in much better condition, and they only offered $60. So I put them on Craigslist for 3 x their offer ($180), and had an email within 24 hours.

Going to see if this guy wants the AMP as well...I should be posting in a couple hours the outcome!

A guy from Howard County is driving up right now. I gotta go and get them out of storage.

I took them to the local Pawn Shop, and they were only willing to offer me $60 for the pair...Funny...they had a pair of 15 inch Siesmic Audio (Ugly looking passive speakers) priced at $299 sitting there. My JBLs were in much better condition, and they only offered $60. So I put them on Craigslist for 3 x their offer ($180), and had an email within 24 hours.

Going to see if this guy wants the AMP as well...I should be posting in a couple hours the outcome!

Hope your taking someone with you, and meeting in a safe place. I never have someone meet me at home, or a storage place. I usually do my transaction in a police station parking lot. I'm sure that people google the meeting address given, and when the realize it's a police station, they disappear if they have bad intentions.

Wouldn't want to get rock rolled for a few grand when selling items.

Last edited:

The pawn shops business model is buy really low / sell high, so that does make sense.

Hope your taking someone with you, and meeting in a safe place. I never have someone meet me at home, or a storage place. I usually do my transaction in a police station parking lot. I'm sure that people google the meeting address given, and when the realize it's a police station, they disappear if they have bad intentions.

Wouldn't want to get rock rolled for a few grand when selling items.

I went Solo. We met in front of an Aldi store. It was COLD outside.

The Guy was pretty cool...one of those "Good Ol Boys" as he referred to himself. He told me he already owned a pair of these JBL JRX Speakers, and also had a big 18 inch Sub on his property out in Mt. Airy. He throws parties on his property, and his nearest neighbor lives about 250 feet away from the front of his house. His parties are in his yard which is basically a large field with woods down at the end. A new housing development came in there recently which is like a 1/2 mile from his house on the other side of the woods, and a few weekends ago one of the "Yuppies" he called them called the police on him because he was playing music and having a Big beer drinking party at his house with his family. He said "Now I got 4 of these puppies, if they thought my music was loud before wait until I hook these up!"

Pretty cool dude. Tried to sell him my QSC GX3 Amp in case as well, but he said he already has 2 amps, and looking for a Crown 2500 to go bigger.

So Now I just need to sell my amp which I will try Craigslist first before I try Ebay.

My other Amp I gave to my Dad to use as a back up. Now I have some space in storage that I really needed.

The pawn shops business model is buy really low / sell high, so that does make sense.

And when you are looking at 10 year old technology it might be sitting for a while too...Glad to hear it worked out for you Ricky

I have gear that I really SHOULD sell,
but I just don't like the hassles of calling, meeting, haggling, or boxing and shipping.
So I am gonna give most of my old gear to my son.
He's not a DJ, but he is a member of a club that does public events on occasion.
Maybe I should wrap them and give them to him as a Christmas gift. :cheers: