Just spent the night making custom first dance songs for weddings

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Maybe people are different in Cleveland, but here they just want it done right. I've done mixes live, and I premix when there is a good reason for me to do so.... And I find plenty of times that there is.

All I care is about doing it right. I've never had a client or guest mention that they were more impressed because it was done live. I don't believe anyone knew either way.

If doing it live all the time works better for someone, that's great. For me, I see no benefit to the client to always do it that way, so I don't. Also, I find benefits for me.

For me, success is fun. Taking unneeded risk is not.

And for the OP,
The pre production I do is for me to use for the client's benefit.

If the client needs to hear something before hand and approve it, we would charge a fee; they get 2 changes, and additional fees after that.

This rarely happens.

I don't do weddings, so those special first dance mixes are not something I'm asked to do, but I have done some office events where the client wanted some specific tracks mixed to play during their PowerPoint show. It was no big deal, so no charge. If they wanted me to sync the tracks and imbed them in the PowerPoint show, I would do that as well, but not for free.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't recall ever having a couple that wanted to do a medley of song for their first dance. I've done multiple songs for wedding party intros and I don't see how that would work out very well if it were premixed into one file. The problem is that the timing is uncertain, how long each couple takes to walk in. I've got DAW software so doing a pre-mix with effects wouldn't be too difficult, but I feel I should charge for my time, not to mention the amount of money I've spent on software upgrades throughout the years.

No, Jeff - it's your lack of aesthetic appreciation talking. To you perfection is a mere technicality, a mechanical state of exactness rather than a shared creative experience.

Clients and guests routinely remark at the end of the nigh that "everything was perfect" and they are telling the truth as they experienced it. You my friend are the one that is too mired in the details of your exactness to understand and appreciate what it really means to be "perfect."

If I really need to be creative I'll grab a paintbrush or write a limerick I don't need to mess up someone's event because my ego or need for artistry is more important than a successful event.

Do you feel you are the only one that hears that everything is perfect?

Jeff presumes to have advanced knowledge of my ability, and what I can or can't do.

Bob I'm not questioning your ability and I presume you can do it live just fine. I also assume that you aren't Jesus Christ in which case you have the ability to make mistakes. What I am questioning is your common sense and need for validation

Bob I'm not questioning your ability and I presume you can do it live just fine. I also assume that you aren't Jesus Christ in which case you have the ability to make mistakes. What I am questioning is your common sense and need for validation

Duplicitous and childish nonsense.
Which is it Jeff? Can a DJ have consistent mix skills or does it take Jesus Christ to beat match and crab scratch?

You clearly own the lack of common sense here, and the need to validate your own "can't do" attitude.

I got my mixing skills with practice not excuses.

Last edited:
Which is it Jeff? Can a DJ have consistent mix skills or does it take Jesus Christ to beat match and crab scratch?

You clearly own the lack of common sense here, and the need to validate your own "can't do" attitude.

Can't do?.... I don't see that in what he said. I see, " I don't need to always do it live just to try to impress someone"

Communicating effectivity and comprehension takes years of practice too.

You are almost convincing me that someone...Anyone.... might notice that you are doing it live as compared to playing an expertly produced track. Do you really need to be the center of attention? Should I go back and quote posts where you are condemning others for doing that?

I can do Bob. I can do very well. Most of us here can do. I can also run out in traffic I choose not to.

If you do it that way good on you keep at it. I'll be happy doing it the other way with the knowledge I don't have to

Jeff, since you equate your mixing skills with running out into traffic - I don't blame you for not doing it live.
I don't describe my mixes as traffic fatalities, and I'm not the OP who spent the night repeatedly trying to record a mix in VDJ.

We all know the "mixing doesn't matter crowd" is made up of people who's go-to DJ tools are a mouse and keyboard. You can keep your lowest common denominator style, and refrain from ever standing out behind a mixer.

Ricky, download a free copy of MixPad and multi-track what you can't get done live. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to remix one of these custom tracks. If cuts and edits are all you need Audacity will take you only minutes.

Generally, the limitations people express in this thread are telling. I don't wait for some special request to make these kind of live mixes. Why would I limit a Motown set for example, to just 4 or 5 songs when I can fit a medley of 15 into the same time window? I am after all - a DJ. Perhaps too many of you have forgotten what that means.

Jeff, since you equate your mixing skills with running out into traffic - I don't blame you for not doing it live.
I don't describe my mixes as traffic fatalities, and I'm not the OP who spent the night repeatedly trying to record a mix in VDJ.

We all know the "mixing doesn't matter crowd" is made up of people who's go-to DJ tools are a mouse and keyboard. You can keep your lowest common denominator style, and refrain from ever standing out behind a mixer.

Ricky, download a free copy of MixPad and multi-track what you can't get done live. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to remix one of these custom tracks. If cuts and edits are all you need Audacity will take you only minutes.

Generally, the limitations people express in this thread are telling. I don't wait for some special request to make these kind of live mixes. Why would I limit a Motown set for example, to just 4 or 5 songs when I can fit a medley of 15 into the same time window? I am after all - a DJ. Perhaps too many of you have forgotten what that means.
My thoughts on the op's post were that the client wanted a custom mix to which they could practice a choreographed routine or entrance, meaning they needed it well before the event

Reactions: ittigger
Except the bride conveyed the idea 72 hours before wedding day. It was an after thought. Not really enough time to choreograph.

The limitations expressed by your comprehension is telling, Bob. Jeff didn't say mixing doesn't matter. You seem more interested in thinking about a stinging comeback than actually trying to understand what he is saying.

Not one person said they can't do it live, but that's what you heard

You pick one word or a sentence and Reply to that instead of even attempting to understand what someone is saying.

You are arguing a point no one is making, and this isn't the first time.

......And you call other people childish

Boo Bob......Boooo

The limitations expressed by your comprehension is telling, Bob. Jeff didn't say mixing doesn't matter. You seem more interested in thinking about a stinging comeback than actually trying to understand what he is saying.

Ding Ding Ding!!!! We have a winner!

Bob is a detriment to this group. Any useful information is far out-stripped by his constant and consistent arguing and belittling of others here.

Ding Ding Ding!!!! We have a winner!

Bob is a detriment to this group. Any useful information is far out-stripped by his constant and consistent arguing and belittling of others here.

Detriment??? Not sure what he's deterring.[emoji1] He's definitely a nuisance... kinda like a cockroach is a nuisance.[emoji1] We're giving him exactly what he wants; we're talking about HIM. We're not talking about DJ stuff, we're not even talking about his DJ skills. We're talking about his behavioral problems. We COULD just not do it, but we do.[emoji1]

I'm pretty certain if we did not talk to him or about him, he would persist. He would continue to post offensive remarks just to see if he could stir things up or get a rise out of someone. Being a sociopath, he likes to manipulate others, and argues just to get them to respond emotionally. He has none of the normal emotions, so he gets his kicks by causing emotional responses of others. He can't even keep himself from doing it. It's like an addictive drug.

Last edited:
Except the bride conveyed the idea 72 hours before wedding day. It was an after thought. Not really enough time to choreograph.

As an after thought, I also doubt is was a very complicated mix but, the OP chose a complicated path to making it.

Detriment???

A net negative. Guys like Bob have knowledge, which can be useful to the group, but when they over-shadow it with constant negativity then they can wear out their welcome. I understand we all get into squabbles from time to time but Bob is beyond the pale. He needs to either straighten up or be shown the door, IMHO.

A net negative. Guys like Bob have knowledge, which can be useful to the group, but when they over-shadow it with constant negativity then they can wear out their welcome. I understand we all get into squabbles from time to time but Bob is beyond the pale. He needs to either straighten up or be shown the door, IMHO.

I can understand your point of view, but wouldn't simply using the ignore feature solve the problem for you? The guy seems to have a mental disorder IMO, which he has no ability to control. I pity him to a certain degree, but since he has not and can not endear himself to others, he has no defenders (except for one perhaps). He therefore becomes the kinda nuisance that many members would like to eliminate (ban). While his credibility is pretty much shot with me, I would not go so far as to ban him.[emoji4]

Everyone here (including Bob) has some useful knowledge that would be beneficial to all (also including Bob). As shown through many discussions, there is no one here that is an expert at everything and most people actually do have some thoughtful ideas.

With Bob, it's his delivery and his interaction skills that counteract any message he's trying to deliver, especially when he's called on his knowledge. If he has had as much success as he claims, then I guarantee you that he does not deal with customers as he deals with people on this forum - and if he does, it's a one time deal. People (and more-so customers) do not like to be belittled, put down or fought with, especially when they know that they are correct.

Bob, this is a group of your peers. Regardless if you think so or not, YOU keep coming back here to hang out with us - this makes it so. Treat your peers with respect if you want it in return.

Everyone here can learn from others, regardless of your knowledge and experience. You don't know everything - and if you think you do, you actually know alot less than you think. I love this forum and the people because of the variety of backgrounds, ways looking at things, shared knowledge and information. Many here have stepped up to help others, even when they didn't need to.

Expert - a person who knows more and more about less and less until (s)he knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

Last edited:
He does. :)

A bunch of us would like that 'feature' to disappear.

I have never used that feature on this board, but I had to use it on another board with two participants who were even more obnoxious than Proforation (or whatever his name is). Those guys were eventually banned, but until then, they were making it undesirable to participate on that board. Using the IGNORE feature is better than staying away.[emoji1]

Reactions: Jeff Romard