Just spent the night making custom first dance songs for weddings

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJ Ricky B

DJ Extraordinaire
Mar 9, 2015
I had my confirmation phone call with both of the couples I am deejaying for this weekend. One did not have their first dance song picked out on my form. During our conversation I asked, and they said they had been contemplating doing a custom medley with various sound effects between song transitions. They told me they would email me the specifics tonight, and asked if I could make them the song asap so they could practice (Thanks for springing this on me less than 72 hours before the wedding! :director:) (Overall, they are a very cool couple...Just procrastinating about their first dance)

The other couple is an Asian Couple...Very nice. They want an elegant black tie affair so I will be wearing my tux. They simply wanted a version of 1000 years cut short with a moderate fade out at a certain point. I did their song edit, and emailed it to them less than 15 minutes after our phone conversation. The last names of their bridal party though....OOOYYY...I'm in for a big challenge with that on Saturday!!!!

The other one I just got done doing, and it took me probably near 2 hours to actually get right before I finalized the edit, and emailed it to them. They were specific on song start and end points with various effects between and I wanted to make sure it sound good.

Now I gotta go to bed...Times like these I wish I wasn't working a day job.

Anyway, when you get these requests for custom made first dances etc, do you include this sort of production in your overall service fee, or do you require more money from the client for these type of requests?

I have never charged extra for this, but just wondering what others do.

This is the second post today where someone waits until the week of to do a finalization... find that really weird (I have one 3-4 weeks prior to get all the important info and to allow follow up time, then another one the week of to make sure no detail is missed).

The few times I have been inquired for medleys or custom edits, I typically say I do not provide that service, and that while I am a DJ, I am not a producer. I do have friends that are, and can make something to their specific needs but it will be on avg around $150 extra. Typically they go the do it yourself route or magically find a friend that knows how to do it, or scratch the idea once they realize how pointless it is or when they realize they have no time to practice and get it right. Regardless, this is something that takes time to perfect, for them to review, and to edit if needed. On top of all the other things I offer and provide clients, this is not the one thing I want to worry about as there is always something that needs tweaking (steps don't time properly with the transitions, they want to cut a song out or add another one or rearrange the order, they want it to be faster, or a different transition style). The few dj's and companies I know that do this charge a couple of hundred dollars for this type of service depending on the details and amount of work involved.

Simple fade or cutting short is something we can do on the fly... just discuss the point of where to cut with the bride and groom, mark it in serato with a cue point and start fading when you reach it. Wouldn't charge for that.

I think this was touched upon not too long ago. I dont remember the exact thread but I think the consensus was as Taso just mentioned, considered to be production work over and above the normal gig fee and should be billed accordingly.
Especially since they sprang it on you with such little notice.

I wouldn't hesitate to charge an extra fee for it, however if you are going to go that route in the future, then in order to justify the extra charge, you also need to be more specific in your contract as to what is covered in your "gig fee" and what is considered an extra charge to minimize the possibility of animosity being generated from a perceived expectation of what is included.

Reactions: ittigger
This is the second post today where someone waits until the week of to do a finalization... find that really weird (I have one 3-4 weeks prior to get all the important info and to allow follow up time, then another one the week of to make sure no detail is missed).

You do it your way........

It's irritating to have an edit like this sprung on you with no notice, but there's nothing that says it couldn't happen to you either. So what, you go over everything a month out. Do you really think that will stop a client from changing their mind and calling you, 72 hours in advance with a change? Would you turn them down? And I'm sorry but charging an extra fee is something I simply would never do. I'd smile, grit my teeth, and give them great customer service.

For custom edits, I do add an extra fee - especially for what it sounds like the couple asked for - a custom length / set of various songs with specific fade points and with sound effect transitions. IMO, this falls into the production arena - edit, cut, splice, build, verify and redo as needed.

The last names of their bridal party though....OOOYYY...I'm in for a big challenge with that on Saturday!!!!

In the few Asian weddings I did, a few times many of the guests spoke no English. So we had a family member or friend make all the special announcements - including introductions - along with me - in English then him/her in their native language.

It made it really cool. Maybe suggest that to help you with the names in the intro's?

Reactions: SEDJ and ittigger
If your time is valuable to you charge for if you don't mind working for free don't would you work for you regular employer for free just as a favor

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
It's irritating to have an edit like this sprung on you with no notice, but there's nothing that says it couldn't happen to you either. So what, you go over everything a month out. Do you really think that will stop a client from changing their mind and calling you, 72 hours in advance with a change? Would you turn them down? And I'm sorry but charging an extra fee is something I simply would never do. I'd smile, grit my teeth, and give them great customer service.

Not only would you be leaving money on the table, you'd be gritting your teeth throughout the whole editing process. Wanting a custom first dance 72 hours prior to the event is not considered a change, it's an add-on. A change is "we're doing three toasts instead of two" and requires no additional work on my part to make happen. A song edit requires at least an hour of my time, requires client approval and will likely have a revision or two made before it's finalized. That's not a change, it's real work and sometimes a test of patience. It deserves fair pay.

Not only would you be leaving money on the table, you'd be gritting your teeth throughout the whole editing process. Wanting a custom first dance 72 hours prior to the event is not considered a change, it's an add-on. A change is "we're doing three toasts instead of two" and requires no additional work on my part to make happen. A song edit requires at least an hour of my time, requires client approval and will likely have a revision or two made before it's finalized. That's not a change, it's real work and sometimes a test of patience. It deserves fair pay.

Listen, I'm agreeing with both of you guys. It's extra work, it's an un-necessary crisis which is created by the client, and it's irritating as heck. If you want to charge extra for it, I have no qualms about it. You do it your way and I'll do it mine (something taso called "that's always the excuse" in an earlier thread). As for me, yea, I'm leaving some money on the table. However, that's what most (some) clients consider "nickel and diming" and I've made it a big part of my advertising that I don't do that. I see stuff like this maybe 1 or 2 times per year. It doesn't cost me in time/labor near as much as I gain by that advertising tool. I'm going to put on game face, grit my teeth, do it, then perhaps come to this board to whine and then it's over. If it happened more often then perhaps I'd had to re-think my position.

Total respect for you guys who are able to stick to your guns and make it work. I guess I'm a bit softer than you guys are.

You do it your way........

You're right, CHANGES, happen all the time, even two days out.. but those are tiny little things like adding a toast speaker, or changing a song, or adding a request. A majority of the work has been done by then. I also discuss with clients the timelines, dinner times, set up space, load in times, etc that they need confirmation with the venue for. You can't do that a few days before as people are coming into town, rehearsal dinners, dress pickups, etc are taking place. They already have their hands full. Also a month out is an amount of time where I can handle a major request such as this, or more commonly... if they want to add additional services like a Photo Booth. I need to be able to secure the labor... a week out, most of my guys have made plans if they're not scheduled to work. Because I go into detail, I even ask clients about things that I'm not doing such as ceremonys, same day edits from the videographer, cocktail hour. In a few instances I've had couples say that the venue has a speaker and mic for ceremony system, and then I ask who handles the music only to find out after calling the hall, that no music is played. They have to add on my services if they want to have music playing before and during the ceremony (and then discuss the music). Likewise, they tell me the videographers are doing a same day edit, and ask where it's being displayed... they never gave it thought and were under the assumption that the videographers bring something...wrong... in NJ/NY its expected that the client gets the display through the DJ. You just can't get this sort of information a few days before the wedding and have it handled properly. Again, I wasn't trying to start a debate about it, I was just shocked I guess you'd say.

In regards to the editing work. I personally do not do it for custom audio as the one time I did it, it literally was back and forth process for two weeks, but I know others who do and what they charge for it. I do custom videos, montages, and design work for monograms and step and repeats and other things. If every one of them has a "design fee" why shouldn't a custom first dance edit. Again I'm not talking about a simple shortening, or an early fade... but something that requires multiple hours of labor on top of what you already expect to do for an event.

The few times I have been inquired for medleys or custom edits, I typically say I do not provide that service, and that while I am a DJ, I am not a producer. I do have friends that are, and can make something to their specific needs but it will be on avg around $150 extra. Typically they go the do it yourself route or magically find a friend that knows how to do it, or scratch the idea once they realize how pointless it is or when they realize they have no time to practice and get it right. Regardless, this is something that takes time to perfect, for them to review, and to edit if needed. On top of all the other things I offer and provide clients, this is not the one thing I want to worry about as there is always something that needs tweaking (steps don't time properly with the transitions, they want to cut a song out or add another one or rearrange the order, they want it to be faster, or a different transition style). The few dj's and companies I know that do this charge a couple of hundred dollars for this type of service depending on the details and amount of work involved.

Simple fade or cutting short is something we can do on the fly... just discuss the point of where to cut with the bride and groom, mark it in serato with a cue point and start fading when you reach it. Wouldn't charge for that.

I am actually a little surprised that you would charge for it. I would think that clients who pay a lot of money for a higher end DJ would look at this as something "easily done" and included with the service. I have a feeling that clients paying spending $1,500 or more on their DJ might consider this as "nickel and diming".

Now if I were charging for a basic no frills "cookie cutter" DJ service and charging $595 or $695 for 4 hours then at that point I would consider spending more time on the client's event to do this type of production as an added fee. "Sure, I can create this first dance mix for you...I charge $75 per production hour, and I think it could take me 2 hours to do this. Are you okay with that?" ...If I were a lower priced DJ, I wouldn't mind charging extra and adding this as a line item to their contract.

However, I just don't feel it should be charged for when it's really NOT that hard to do, just takes time which you can arguably include in the "20 to 30 hours spent on every wedding client's special day" formula that we all like to use.

At the fees I am charging these days, I just feel I shouldn't be asking for money money for this sort of thing. Both songs COULD HAVE been mixed in real time, especially the 1000 years by Christina Perri for Saturday...the bride and groom just wanted a real short version to practice their dance to. Same with Friday's...Althrough their song is much more intricate, and they actually do need to hear it and practice their dance they want to do to it before hand.

As for when to actually hold the final confirmation meeting/phone call etc. I have a set way of doing things with every wedding client.

I send out a "3 week check in email" to my clients asking if they have any questions. I make sure they have my planning form and time line form, and I also ask them to email their completed forms back to me by 10 days before the big day. I make it clear that the final phone call will be held The Monday before the big day, but can also do Tuesday if Monday is no good for availability. I also let them know that they are welcome to schedule this meeting with me earlier.

A solid 80% of my clients don't even respond to this email, and if they do, it's 2 to 4 days later. That shows me that they have too much going on, and simply not ready to finalize everything 3 weeks prior. The other 20% are usually the ones who actually contacted me prior to this 3 week check in email, and actually email me and say "Hey, our wedding is about a month away, and we are real excited, I just want to touch base to see what we need to do at this point". And then I email them back and get things going. Even with those 20% MOST of them still opt to not finalize everything until the Monday before the big day.

I think I see much of this differently than you do too though. With music being online, I have most of the music couples want, so Music acquisition can be done very quickly. I don't need a in person meeting with them at this point. Everything can be handled in a 30 to 40 minute phone call as my planner is very detailed, and much of the confirmation phone call is going over the planner.

Also, You can't tell what the weather is going to be like on their wedding day 2 to 4 weeks out. On the Monday or Tuesday before the big day, you have a general idea of the weather, and can discuss alternate rain plans in detail at this point.

Also, many of my clients don't even do the walk though at their venue until just a few days before the big day. Saturday's wedding client had their walk through at the venue today at 11:30 am. I couldn't be there because I work a day job now, but there isn't any need for me to be there. I know the venue well.

I am actually a little surprised that you would charge for it. I would think that clients who pay a lot of money for a higher end DJ would look at this as something "easily done" and included with the service. I have a feeling that clients paying spending $1,500 or more on their DJ might consider this as "nickel and diming".

Now if I were charging for a basic no frills "cookie cutter" DJ service and charging $595 or $695 for 4 hours then at that point I would consider spending more time on the client's event to do this type of production as an added fee. "Sure, I can create this first dance mix for you...I charge $75 per production hour, and I think it could take me 2 hours to do this. Are you okay with that?" ...If I were a lower priced DJ, I wouldn't mind charging extra and adding this as a line item to their contract.

However, I just don't feel it should be charged for when it's really NOT that hard to do, just takes time which you can arguably include in the "20 to 30 hours spent on every wedding client's special day" formula that we all like to use.

At the fees I am charging these days, I just feel I shouldn't be asking for money money for this sort of thing. Both songs COULD HAVE been mixed in real time, especially the 1000 years by Christina Perri for Saturday...the bride and groom just wanted a real short version to practice their dance to. Same with Friday's...Althrough their song is much more intricate, and they actually do need to hear it and practice their dance they want to do to it before hand.

As for when to actually hold the final confirmation meeting/phone call etc. I have a set way of doing things with every wedding client.

I send out a "3 week check in email" to my clients asking if they have any questions. I make sure they have my planning form and time line form, and I also ask them to email their completed forms back to me by 10 days before the big day. I make it clear that the final phone call will be held The Monday before the big day, but can also do Tuesday if Monday is no good for availability. I also let them know that they are welcome to schedule this meeting with me earlier.

A solid 80% of my clients don't even respond to this email, and if they do, it's 2 to 4 days later. That shows me that they have too much going on, and simply not ready to finalize everything 3 weeks prior. The other 20% are usually the ones who actually contacted me prior to this 3 week check in email, and actually email me and say "Hey, our wedding is about a month away, and we are real excited, I just want to touch base to see what we need to do at this point". And then I email them back and get things going. Even with those 20% MOST of them still opt to not finalize everything until the Monday before the big day.

I think I see much of this differently than you do too though. With music being online, I have most of the music couples want, so Music acquisition can be done very quickly. I don't need a in person meeting with them at this point. Everything can be handled in a 30 to 40 minute phone call as my planner is very detailed, and much of the confirmation phone call is going over the planner.

Also, You can't tell what the weather is going to be like on their wedding day 2 to 4 weeks out. On the Monday or Tuesday before the big day, you have a general idea of the weather, and can discuss alternate rain plans in detail at this point.

Also, many of my clients don't even do the walk though at their venue until just a few days before the big day. Saturday's wedding client had their walk through at the venue today at 11:30 am. I couldn't be there because I work a day job now, but there isn't any need for me to be there. I know the venue well.
Bringing a dozen uplights is also easily done .. or bringing a sub. One needs to set the appropriate bounds for their business.

Reactions: ittigger and DJ TJ
Bringing a dozen uplights is also easily done .. or bringing a sub. One needs to set the appropriate bounds for their business.

Bringing a dozen up lights is much more physical labor, and also much more cost intensive than spending time editing a first dance mix. I can sit at my laptop and do that on a night I am home anyway.

I don't get people who add in up lights at no charge. Takes time to set the colors. The lights cost a good chunk of money to purchase ourselves. Takes up more space in vehicle. More time AT THE EVENT setting up and tearing down.

Editing a single song can be time in the comfort of your home on your laptop/computer

If we are talking time that "should be charged for" , then wouldn't it be fair to offer clients rebates who choose not to meet with us in person for their wedding, and ultimately take up less of our time in the planning stage for their event? Some weddings may only take 12 hours of your overall time, other weddings may take 20 hours, yet each of us have standardized fees for what a 5 hour ceremony and reception costs.

Bringing a dozen up lights is much more physical labor, and also much more cost intensive than spending time editing a first dance mix. I can sit at my laptop and do that on a night I am home anyway.

I don't get people who add in up lights at no charge. Takes time to set the colors. The lights cost a good chunk of money to purchase ourselves. Takes up more space in vehicle. More time AT THE EVENT setting up and tearing down.

Editing a single song can be time in the comfort of your home on your laptop/computer

If we are talking time that "should be charged for" , then wouldn't it be fair to offer clients rebates who choose not to meet with us in person for their wedding, and ultimately take up less of our time in the planning stage for their event? Some weddings may only take 12 hours of your overall time, other weddings may take 20 hours, yet each of us have standardized fees for what a 5 hour ceremony and reception costs.
I can set out and pack up a dozen static (not DMX) uplights in the same or less time than it would take me to do a quality, substantial file edit .. YMMV. Bringing a sub or 2 would take less time.

Just saying that there are costs for all these activities .. if you are going to give away some .. might as well give away the buyers choice .. or don't give it away.

I'm glad to see you recognizing that things can (and are) done differently in different locations. From everything I've gathered, the typical halls you deal with are likely magnitudes more formal in their events than even the top-tier venues where I work in Nashville. Not to say we can't apply most of the same principals across geographical locations, but there are definite cultural differences, expectations and customs in the various locations across the country.

As for the edit, it also tweaks me (just a bit) that you consider this a major edit, possibly warranting several hours. The last 1st dance montage I had thrown on me (4 days out) had 10-12 different songs, with definite cut-over points. I think I might have spent 20-30 minutes in total, emailed the track to the bride for them to practice, and that was all it took. Yes, it irked me to have that last minute wrinkle thrown at me, but it was handled relatively easily, I didn't complain or try to charge extra to the client, and she was thrilled that I went above and beyond the call without complaining.

I'm glad to see you recognizing that things can (and are) done differently in different locations. From everything I've gathered, the typical halls you deal with are likely magnitudes more formal in their events than even the top-tier venues where I work in Nashville. Not to say we can't apply most of the same principals across geographical locations, but there are definite cultural differences, expectations and customs in the various locations across the country.

As for the edit, it also tweaks me (just a bit) that you consider this a major edit, possibly warranting several hours. The last 1st dance montage I had thrown on me (4 days out) had 10-12 different songs, with definite cut-over points. I think I might have spent 20-30 minutes in total, emailed the track to the bride for them to practice, and that was all it took. Yes, it irked me to have that last minute wrinkle thrown at me, but it was handled relatively easily, I didn't complain or try to charge extra to the client, and she was thrilled that I went above and beyond the call without complaining.
But if you go back to the OP .. Ricky said he "spent the night", which I'm taking as "hours" instead of "20 minutes", so it's not a quick venture for everyone.

My situation is almost identical and has been the last few years. I did two I can remember last year I was in route to the ceremony and still being sent "must have" songs. No matter how many times I ask I'm lucky to get the information anytime before a week out

In regards to the editing work. I personally do not do it for custom audio as the one time I did it, it literally was back and forth process for two weeks, but I know others who do and what they charge for it. I do custom videos, montages, and design work for monograms and step and repeats and other things. If every one of them has a "design fee" why shouldn't a custom first dance edit. Again I'm not talking about a simple shortening, or an early fade... but something that requires multiple hours of labor on top of what you already expect to do for an event.

I had one like that last summer. I can't remember how many times we went back and forth. At the end of it I went to her house and did the edit while she was listening and it was done in about 20 mins