Just paid a deposit to get a new website professionally made

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
You're gonna hate me... but here we go:
HOME PAGE:
- home page video is not set up properly, as half of it is below the display area. The video should be at the top with the logo and tabs acting as overlays.
- the video you have starts off with a really dark scene... hard to even know what im looking at. start with a more vibrant and clearer clip to display.
- your tabs are not set up properly it feels like, as the contact us falls UNDER the review link, instead of next to it and have a nice clean streamlined look
- the photos on your homepage are horrendous... none of them scream current and modern. CONTACT PHOTOGRAPHERS YOU'VE WORKED WITH... and if you don't know who they are, shame on you for not networking better. I know the photogs and videographers of every event I do. In fact their info is requested on my online planner. Even if that means paying for their images, its an investment into your site.
- The text styling is not really exciting. Not that the font needs to change, but a good web developer would know how to use fonts to draw attention to certain phrases or sections.
- The videos on your home page are all the way at the bottom, when they should be placed higher than the other random mumbo jumbo that's completeley irrelevant on your homepage. and I didn't have the desire to spend a second reading about.
- Why on earth would your contact form have "suggestions"...
- Your contact form needs more info to help you better provide your inquiries proper info. How bout date of event, the type of event, and venue or location of event. This will allow you to get the right info the first time.
- I wouldn't really display your weddingwire info in such a prominent location. You have 1 review in the last two years.
- Your wedding section, which is your highest priced service, has the least info. Where are the videos, where are the breathtaking photos to create excitement and makes you look like you "get it".

WEDDING SECTION:
- The info on the wedding section doesn't give a single reason why I should be interested in you. You didn't sell me on anything. O wait.. you've been in business for over 35yrs... so you're old. Even though you, the face of the company, are actually in your 30's. Creates a negative perception of your company... of which the opposite is actually true. Your young, you know the trends, you're personal with your clients.
- Your headline on your wedding page "DO you have a dj for your wedding reception?"... I mean obviously if I'm researching dj's chances are I don't. COme up with a better tag line that again is either relevant to the info you're providing, or creates an emotion.

CORPORATE SECTION:
- You actually use more exciting (although limited again) language in your corporate section than your wedding section. Who is writing the language for your site???
- Corporate section has a picture with everyone sitting down... for some reason I don't think anyone would be motivated to hire you with that pic.
ABOUT US & TEAM:
- On the about us... a small pic of the conga? Really? that screams $300 dj lol.
- Our quote... "we are the best dj's at the best price"... seems like an open invitation to all value based, price shopping, and negotiating clients.
- Your mission... provide service at a reasonable price, our client, that wont break the bank... see above comment. PS your punctuation in your text on your site is wrong.
- Why are all your pictures so poor, and why are you lacking so much content!!!!!! Where are the videos on all of these sections! Where are your set up photos!
- I'm not going to really get into the about us, as it's too time consuming, but you guys SERIOUSLY need to update your photos. Pay a professional a couple of hundred dollars and get it done. Some are downright embarrassing, not for your looks (you guys all actually look good), but how outdated and corny they appear.

PRICING
- Your pricing page is a disaster. I've never seen a more confusing way of discussing pricing.
- FYI I am not impressed that you arrive 45 min in advance... it actually scares me. What if theres traffic, what if something doesn't work and you need to troubleshoot. That SHOULD NOT be your first line. It actually creates discomfort, not comfort.
- You actually then say you arrive 90min to 120min early in the next line. Why not make this first?
- Why is your first section about something irrelevant to pricing. In fact, it's about how you can actually give money back to a client. I don't wanna compare you to mix, but it seems like your site is filled with lines talking about how low you can go.
- First you talk about bronze pricing (without mentioning it doesn't cover saturdays)
- your price range is ridiculous... so does it cost 150 for 1hr... 1600 for 4hrs... 250 or 500 for lighting... well whats the difference? I mean you throw numbers out there but provide no valuable info as to what the pricing is determined by.
So you just through out a range of pricing... and then you get to the actual packages, but have no prices associated with specific package contents. It's just a very disorganized way of presenting pricing info.
- You have a buy now link... with no indication as to what it's for. Also you're taking the appearance of a personalized service out with that option to "buy now". You should want to encourage conversation, not just be a 1 click buy that utilizes minimal excitement. Your a service that someone hires for the most important day of their lives, not soap from amazon that you just "buy now".
- The worst picture possible for your pricing page.

CONTACT PAGE:
- Your contact form should be set up in reverse order... make the contact form on top so it's easy to access, and the map below.

SUMMARY:
Your template for your new site is an absolute improvement... but the quality of your site is determined by your content and your language and layout. You spent a lot of money, but the current version of your site will not benefit you any more than your other site. I'm just honest.

You ARE a PITA.[emoji1] But it was REALLY nice of you to spend SO much time providing that valuable (and objective) feedback. I could/ would never do it as well as you did! Kudos to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You ARE a PITA.[emoji1] But it was REALLY nice of you to spend SO much time providing that valuable (and objective) feedback. I could/ would never do it as well as you did! Kudos to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We tend to be the worst at critiquing ourselves. We don't know what couples are actually looking for and the details to pay attention to without getting the right feedback from the right people. Simply put, details matter in our site just like they do our services. You can't improve a site without attacking it line by line, photo by photo, and as a whole with the impression you receive.

Unfortunately, web designers give a false impression that they'll get you a website that will successfully attract the right clients and get their interest. If you work with a marketing team that specializes or has experience in your industry you'll get significantly better results. My marketing team was comprised of 3 women who focus heavily on industries that have similarities to the wedding industry (beauty/hair salons/lounges/fitness/fashion/etc), and getting their perspective on anything I wanted to do was priceless. While I wrote the language for my site myself, they determined the best ways to present it, as well as where to place the images and how to tweak my video to make it more effective as an opener.

The feedback I gave him is actually really simple to correct. It's mostly language and photos. For the video, he just has to rearrange clips until he gets better content. His failure in improving his site can only come from his lack of photos which he should have collected over the years. If he has none, it's time to reach out to past brides and say that he's improving his site, and would love to use some photos from their wedding as it was one of his favorite events. Then simply ask for the link to the online gallery, or info on the photog and ask for photos. Pay for photos if you want no watermark, or ask to display them for free with the company watermark. I've paid around $50 over the years for photos ($3-$5 a photo through online galleries). Most photographers didn't mind just giving me the pics.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
You're gonna hate me... but here we go:
HOME PAGE:
- home page video is not set up properly, as half of it is below the display area. The video should be at the top with the logo and tabs acting as overlays.
- the video you have starts off with a really dark scene... hard to even know what im looking at. start with a more vibrant and clearer clip to display.
- your tabs are not set up properly it feels like, as the contact us falls UNDER the review link, instead of next to it and have a nice clean streamlined look
- the photos on your homepage are horrendous... none of them scream current and modern. CONTACT PHOTOGRAPHERS YOU'VE WORKED WITH... and if you don't know who they are, shame on you for not networking better. I know the photogs and videographers of every event I do. In fact their info is requested on my online planner. Even if that means paying for their images, its an investment into your site.
- The text styling is not really exciting. Not that the font needs to change, but a good web developer would know how to use fonts to draw attention to certain phrases or sections.
- The videos on your home page are all the way at the bottom, when they should be placed higher than the other random mumbo jumbo that's completeley irrelevant on your homepage. and I didn't have the desire to spend a second reading about.
- Why on earth would your contact form have "suggestions"...
- Your contact form needs more info to help you better provide your inquiries proper info. How bout date of event, the type of event, and venue or location of event. This will allow you to get the right info the first time.
- I wouldn't really display your weddingwire info in such a prominent location. You have 1 review in the last two years.
- Your wedding section, which is your highest priced service, has the least info. Where are the videos, where are the breathtaking photos to create excitement and makes you look like you "get it".

WEDDING SECTION:
- The info on the wedding section doesn't give a single reason why I should be interested in you. You didn't sell me on anything. O wait.. you've been in business for over 35yrs... so you're old. Even though you, the face of the company, are actually in your 30's. Creates a negative perception of your company... of which the opposite is actually true. Your young, you know the trends, you're personal with your clients.
- Your headline on your wedding page "DO you have a dj for your wedding reception?"... I mean obviously if I'm researching dj's chances are I don't. COme up with a better tag line that again is either relevant to the info you're providing, or creates an emotion.

CORPORATE SECTION:
- You actually use more exciting (although limited again) language in your corporate section than your wedding section. Who is writing the language for your site???
- Corporate section has a picture with everyone sitting down... for some reason I don't think anyone would be motivated to hire you with that pic.
ABOUT US & TEAM:
- On the about us... a small pic of the conga? Really? that screams $300 dj lol.
- Our quote... "we are the best dj's at the best price"... seems like an open invitation to all value based, price shopping, and negotiating clients.
- Your mission... provide service at a reasonable price, our client, that wont break the bank... see above comment. PS your punctuation in your text on your site is wrong.
- Why are all your pictures so poor, and why are you lacking so much content!!!!!! Where are the videos on all of these sections! Where are your set up photos!
- I'm not going to really get into the about us, as it's too time consuming, but you guys SERIOUSLY need to update your photos. Pay a professional a couple of hundred dollars and get it done. Some are downright embarrassing, not for your looks (you guys all actually look good), but how outdated and corny they appear.

PRICING
- Your pricing page is a disaster. I've never seen a more confusing way of discussing pricing.
- FYI I am not impressed that you arrive 45 min in advance... it actually scares me. What if theres traffic, what if something doesn't work and you need to troubleshoot. That SHOULD NOT be your first line. It actually creates discomfort, not comfort.
- You actually then say you arrive 90min to 120min early in the next line. Why not make this first?
- Why is your first section about something irrelevant to pricing. In fact, it's about how you can actually give money back to a client. I don't wanna compare you to mix, but it seems like your site is filled with lines talking about how low you can go.
- First you talk about bronze pricing (without mentioning it doesn't cover saturdays)
- your price range is ridiculous... so does it cost 150 for 1hr... 1600 for 4hrs... 250 or 500 for lighting... well whats the difference? I mean you throw numbers out there but provide no valuable info as to what the pricing is determined by.
So you just through out a range of pricing... and then you get to the actual packages, but have no prices associated with specific package contents. It's just a very disorganized way of presenting pricing info.
- You have a buy now link... with no indication as to what it's for. Also you're taking the appearance of a personalized service out with that option to "buy now". You should want to encourage conversation, not just be a 1 click buy that utilizes minimal excitement. Your a service that someone hires for the most important day of their lives, not soap from amazon that you just "buy now".
- The worst picture possible for your pricing page.

CONTACT PAGE:
- Your contact form should be set up in reverse order... make the contact form on top so it's easy to access, and the map below.

SUMMARY:
Your template for your new site is an absolute improvement... but the quality of your site is determined by your content and your language and layout. You spent a lot of money, but the current version of your site will not benefit you any more than your other site. I'm just honest.

Thank you for the big critique!

Good Point on the contact form. I use to have a DJ Event Planner contact form link and I suppose the code for that went away, and they put a generic contact form in it's place. I will certainly have them change out that contact form. I don't like it either!

The "Buy Now" Pay Pal buttons are the only Paypal buttons I can use. The other paypal options are for Fundraiser, or Subscriptions. I want to keep one on the site in case someone wants to use it to book at or after our bridal show. It's easy to tell a prospect they can pay through the button on the website. ...I will have them put in some text that reads "Wedding DJ Deposit" or something along those lines. ...I don't want multiple buttons on the website like I use to have so, just keeping 1 button up.

I get what you guys are saying about the guarantee. Perhaps it is best on a separate page. The website people thought it was better to put it on top rather than have it on the bottom. I will ask them to create a separate page with the guarantee information on there. ...I'm not going to take it down from the website though. I have had a number of clients mention reading the guarantee, and saying it's reassuring that we promise to be there on time, and after communicating with me, they can tell I know what I'm doing when it comes to the planning and organization. ...Many of those same clients have been to events before where the DJ showed up late, or obviously did not show up with enough time to set up, and was throwing their gear together and starting late, and they noticed. I suppose I could also try to write that guarantee up better as well.

I want to iterate to them that we make it a point to arrive 90 to 120 minutes prior to start time with our Standard package, and at least 60 minutes prior to start time with our Bronze package, but promise to arrive 45 minutes ahead, and will be set up on time. Not being on site 45 minutes prior to start time is late no matter what and we are guaranteeing it regardless of reason. I want to assure them they won't have to worry about their DJ on their wedding day.

...Also, having this in writing on the website puts the pressure on my sister to get her butt to a gig on time. Since it's been on the website, she hasn't been late to a gig because she knows the policy if she is late to anything I book her on. I haven't had issues with her being late on anything I have booked her on, but she was late to a couple she booked herself in the past, and I ended up hearing about it.

I know I have to get professional photos on the site, but getting pics of people dancing I can use from photographers I have worked with has been very difficult. Communication is lousy to none. Or I end up with a water marked picture of the bride and groom sent over from the ones that have reached out, and I'm looking for awesome action/dance photos.

...I will probably have to purchase my own DSLR and take my own pics in order for that to really happen. Reaching out to previous brides and grooms is a good idea. I will try that to get access to their online photos. I don't mind spending $5 per photo if I can find some real nice ones.

...I have had prices thrown on the website 3 times in the past. ...It doesn't work for us. Most info they are getting is a RANGE. I can either throw up $400 to $3,000 which is pretty darn broad, or I can go by the hour. ...By The hour helps lead the prospect into inquiring for an exact price quote more than if a large range was thrown up. Or at least it seems to.

...Also when I did have a large range thrown up, some prospects would expect to get that very bottom price shown in the range, and it's never feasible because they want 5 to 6 hours on a Saturday, and that bottom price is meant for 2 or 3 hours on a week day. ...And it often turns into the prospect starting to haggle and asking if I can do their event for some number slightly higher than the bottom price mentioned, and I don't want to get into that.

I also have a starting price for the bronze package listed. So they get a starting price for a basic wedding, and they also get a range which is what all the Wedding Wire pricing articles suggest as a minimum these days. I want them to inquire for a price.

I see other websites for DJ companies in may area, and most don't have any pricing info at all on them. Even the agency took their starting prices down on their website which they had up for at least the last 5 years.

As for the video. I am glad that the video is up on the website. I get what you are saying about it not fitting the screen when it pops up. I will ask why it's like that, and see if they can trim it down, but at the same time I don't see it as a big deal. I only need to scroll down a bit to see the bottom ...I'm not sure if it's like that to be "more in your face" or if it's a formatting error.

I have shown the website to at least 25 people today, and you were the first to bring that up about the video. Very good eye! ...But perhaps maybe too critical of the video?

Thank you for the big critique!

Good Point on the contact form. I use to have a DJ Event Planner contact form link and I suppose the code for that went away, and they put a generic contact form in it's place. I will certainly have them change out that contact form. I don't like it either!

The "Buy Now" Pay Pal buttons are the only Paypal buttons I can use. The other paypal options are for Fundraiser, or Subscriptions. I want to keep one on the site in case someone wants to use it to book at or after our bridal show. It's easy to tell a prospect they can pay through the button on the website. ...I will have them put in some text that reads "Wedding DJ Deposit" or something along those lines. ...I don't want multiple buttons on the website like I use to have so, just keeping 1 button up.

I get what you guys are saying about the guarantee. Perhaps it is best on a separate page. The website people thought it was better to put it on top rather than have it on the bottom. I will ask them to create a separate page with the guarantee information on there. ...I'm not going to take it down from the website though. I have had a number of clients mention reading the guarantee, and saying it's reassuring that we promise to be there on time, and after communicating with me, they can tell I know what I'm doing when it comes to the planning and organization. ...Many of those same clients have been to events before where the DJ showed up late, or obviously did not show up with enough time to set up, and was throwing their gear together and starting late, and they noticed. I suppose I could also try to write that guarantee up better as well.

I want to iterate to them that we make it a point to arrive 90 to 120 minutes prior to start time with our Standard package, and at least 60 minutes prior to start time with our Bronze package, but promise to arrive 45 minutes ahead, and will be set up on time. Not being on site 45 minutes prior to start time is late no matter what and we are guaranteeing it regardless of reason. I want to assure them they won't have to worry about their DJ on their wedding day.

...Also, having this in writing on the website puts the pressure on my sister to get her butt to a gig on time. Since it's been on the website, she hasn't been late to a gig because she knows the policy if she is late to anything I book her on. I haven't had issues with her being late on anything I have booked her on, but she was late to a couple she booked herself in the past, and I ended up hearing about it.

I know I have to get professional photos on the site, but getting pics of people dancing I can use from photographers I have worked with has been very difficult. Communication is lousy to none. Or I end up with a water marked picture of the bride and groom sent over from the ones that have reached out, and I'm looking for awesome action/dance photos.

...I will probably have to purchase my own DSLR and take my own pics in order for that to really happen. Reaching out to previous brides and grooms is a good idea. I will try that to get access to their online photos. I don't mind spending $5 per photo if I can find some real nice ones.

...I have had prices thrown on the website 3 times in the past. ...It doesn't work for us. Most info they are getting is a RANGE. I can either throw up $400 to $3,000 which is pretty darn broad, or I can go by the hour. ...By The hour helps lead the prospect into inquiring for an exact price quote more than if a large range was thrown up. Or at least it seems to.

...Also when I did have a large range thrown up, some prospects would expect to get that very bottom price shown in the range, and it's never feasible because they want 5 to 6 hours on a Saturday, and that bottom price is meant for 2 or 3 hours on a week day. ...And it often turns into the prospect starting to haggle and asking if I can do their event for some number slightly higher than the bottom price mentioned, and I don't want to get into that.

I also have a starting price for the bronze package listed. So they get a starting price for a basic wedding, and they also get a range which is what all the Wedding Wire pricing articles suggest as a minimum these days. I want them to inquire for a price.

I see other websites for DJ companies in may area, and most don't have any pricing info at all on them. Even the agency took their starting prices down on their website which they had up for at least the last 5 years.

As for the video. I am glad that the video is up on the website. I get what you are saying about it not fitting the screen when it pops up. I will ask why it's like that, and see if they can trim it down, but at the same time I don't see it as a big deal. I only need to scroll down a bit to see the bottom ...I'm not sure if it's like that to be "more in your face" or if it's a formatting error.

I have shown the website to at least 25 people today, and you were the first to bring that up about the video. Very good eye! ...But perhaps maybe too critical of the video?
I'm going to tell you what will make you stand out above the rest... not wether it is simply "acceptable" and I hope that you see that as a form of bringing out the best in your investment rather than simply shooting you down.

- Just because others in your area don't put pricing, doesn't mean you're required not to. I think your issue in the past was that because you had a crappy site, your target market wasn't defined. If the price you put on there is relatable to the quality your website displays, then there will never be an issue. How do I get away with a $2000 starting price to people that have no idea who I am... I'd like to think it's because my website represents a dj that is worth $2000. I just got my 10th weddingwire review, so it's not like im swimming in wedding reviews either (although I do have tons of reviews from personal emails, texts, and facebook). Don't let your past mistakes hinder you from taking steps that will improve your image. If your website portrays a $1250 dj... you will never get negative results by listing a $1250 starting price on your site... this I can guarantee.

- the video again is usable, but I think your opening clips are not appealing. It's dark, it looks like a high school dance, it looks grainy, and it looks to utilize cheap lighting effects that most dread at weddings. Bad first impression. My video is a sequence of first dances and entrances and energy in short bursts (1-1.5 seconds). Sure having to scroll down isnt a "big deal", but the whole purpose of the template is so the moment u start scrolling you instantly see something new coming into view. It looks like a mistake and subconsciously makes it appear as if you don't pay attention to details.

- While I can understand the benefits of saying you arrive on time... I don't see the need to make that the first thing someone reads when describing pricing. You mention you arrive on time... here's my opening statement on pricing:

"Your investment in Taso can vary greatly based on the combination of services you are looking to have. Taso has 3 unique packages available as well as a variety of enhancements that you can add on to further customize your Wedding. We understand that some of the terminology used may be similar to what other companies use with wide ranging prices. We hope that after more research you’ll see that the level of quality and detail that Taso provides for similarly worded services will exceed expectations in many ways, while bringing great value to your celebration, and therefore is priced as such.

2018 PRICING FOR TASO STARTS AT $2000
While the starting price for Taso is $2000, most couples find themselves spending around $3000 once factoring in lighting and other various enhancements. To get a full pricing catalog with all packages and services offered, please fill out our contact form and Taso will provide it, along with all information requested, via email within 24 hours."

I showcase my starting price, and that most spend on avg $3000, so they have a real number in their heads. It gets people relevant info, such as starting and avg without getting too specific, which seems you're trying to avoid as well. In my area most don't have pricing... I do... I also don't get price shoppers. People take their pricing down because their website is no longer impressing anyone, or they want the ability to negotiate... negotiating however means lowering one's worth. Some also have the old school mentality that if I can just talk to them, they'll be sold. Sorry, but it doesn't really work that way in 2018. If you really want to stress certain points like arrival time... then make a faq section at the bottom of your pricing. I still don't get why you'd wanna say you'd def be there by 45 minutes prior... maybe it's because I arrive 3 hrs early and 45 min seems absurd.

The proof of the success in your site will come in the form of qualified leads that are comfortable with what you offer and it's price point. If you didn't relay that message, you may get leads, but they won't get far.

I still don't get why you'd wanna say you'd def be there by 45 minutes prior... maybe it's because I arrive 3 hrs early and 45 min seems absurd.

Agree highly with this.... We ask for at least 3 hours early....but many times ask for 5 if they have the venue all day... 45 minutes is barely enough time to cool off and suit up

cc

Agree highly with this.... We ask for at least 3 hours early....but many times ask for 5 if they have the venue all day... 45 minutes is barely enough time to cool off and suit up

cc

But would you guarantee that you would arrive on site to every gig no matter what at least 3 hours before start time?

3 full hours is a very long time. Many caterers don't even show up that early to start loading in and setting up. Some Venues I perform at only allow access 2 hours prior, and there are even a handful that only allow access 1 hour to 90 minutes prior to start time. I personally wouldn't ever need 3 full hours for set up time. If I am bringing everything I have out, and doing a large light show, large sound system, full room up lighting...Then I will make sure I have an assistant with me who can help ensure I am set up and ready in a 2 hours time.

We are guaranteeing 45 minutes. It doesn't mean we only show up 45 minutes out. Myself, I show up 2 hours early to 75% of the gigs I do. I would say 10% of gigs I am arriving 2 hours 15 to 2 hours 30 minutes early, and the other 15% of gigs are roughly about 90 minutes early. I can't even remember the last time I ran into traffic and showed up with less than 60 minutes to set up. I think there was 1 wedding in 2014 where I showed up 1 hour and 10 minutes prior to start, and I was hustling to get set up. Ran into awful traffic that day, but I was there well ahead of start time still. Nobody was worried about the DJ (Yet). However, I'm not going to guarantee I will be on site to every gig 90 minutes or more early. BUT I am confident that I, and my other DJs will be on site at least 45 minutes early no matter what.

There are a lot of DJs out there who claim that as long as they have 20 minutes to set up they can get up and running, and ready to go. ...That might be true assuming they can pull their vehicle right up to the door, or right next to their DJ Table, but I know it looks bad to guests and others when they see a DJ roll in right before a gig is to start, and they are slopping their equipment together and running around like a chicken with their head cut off in order to get the music going and be "on time".

id be happy to guarantee 3 hrs.... no problem at all... infact.... ive turned down parties that wanted to give me 45 min set up time... and ive got assistants on call... i refuse to perform without the proper sound check time...etc... it's a personal and professional preference .... if they want a slap up job on set up...then they can enjoy a slap up party.

cc

But would you guarantee that you would arrive on site to every gig no matter what at least 3 hours before start time?

3 full hours is a very long time. Many caterers don't even show up that early to start loading in and setting up. Some Venues I perform at only allow access 2 hours prior, and there are even a handful that only allow access 1 hour to 90 minutes prior to start time. I personally wouldn't ever need 3 full hours for set up time. If I am bringing everything I have out, and doing a large light show, large sound system, full room up lighting...Then I will make sure I have an assistant with me who can help ensure I am set up and ready in a 2 hours time.

We are guaranteeing 45 minutes. It doesn't mean we only show up 45 minutes out. Myself, I show up 2 hours early to 75% of the gigs I do. I would say 10% of gigs I am arriving 2 hours 15 to 2 hours 30 minutes early, and the other 15% of gigs are roughly about 90 minutes early. I can't even remember the last time I ran into traffic and showed up with less than 60 minutes to set up. I think there was 1 wedding in 2014 where I showed up 1 hour and 10 minutes prior to start, and I was hustling to get set up. Ran into awful traffic that day, but I was there well ahead of start time still. Nobody was worried about the DJ (Yet). However, I'm not going to guarantee I will be on site to every gig 90 minutes or more early. BUT I am confident that I, and my other DJs will be on site at least 45 minutes early no matter what.

There are a lot of DJs out there who claim that as long as they have 20 minutes to set up they can get up and running, and ready to go. ...That might be true assuming they can pull their vehicle right up to the door, or right next to their DJ Table, but I know it looks bad to guests and others when they see a DJ roll in right before a gig is to start, and they are slopping their equipment together and running around like a chicken with their head cut off in order to get the music going and be "on time".
I think the point is if you're using set up time as your selling point, you have bigger problems. I don't think any in demand dj with a good reputation has to worry about guaranteeing an arrival time when selling themselves, and that is what I think we're trying to say. There are so many other selling points... a fear tactic that is common amongst super cheap non reliable dj's shouldn't be one of them. The fact that that is something you're using makes it appear once again, that you're competing with really low end dj's, and that is the league of dj's you're in.

You're better than that, and with a new brand image and site you should be using talking points based on quality, showcasing your knowledge and experience with event details and what appeals to the modern couple, the assortment of options offere to really personalize your event, your review page on your site, high quality photos, high quality videos, spending time talking with your client before booking them (after emailing them your info first and setting the tone that you're a true professional). Cheap dj's showcase random equipment and write things that many would consider to be the most basic expectations in a dj, whereas high quality dj's talk about an experience that few can provide.

45 minutes sounds like you don't have much equipment to set up for one thing. I can set up in 45 minutes but that would just include two speakers on sticks and a simple light show.

The load in would have to be easy, plus it can take 15 minutes or more just to change from roadie clothes to a nice suit. I always allow 2 hours to set up because you never know what technical issues might pop up. Or, sometimes guests start arriving a half hour sooner than planned because the ceremony turned out to be shorter than expected. But if a 45 minute guarantee works for you, keep doing it.

45 minutes sounds like you don't have much equipment to set up for one thing. I can set up in 45 minutes but that would just include two speakers on sticks and a simple light show.

The load in would have to be easy, plus it can take 15 minutes or more just to change from roadie clothes to a nice suit. I always allow 2 hours to set up because you never know what technical issues might pop up. Or, sometimes guests start arriving a half hour sooner than planned because the ceremony turned out to be shorter than expected. But if a 45 minute guarantee works for you, keep doing it.

Most of our bookings are "2 speakers on sticks and a simple light show" for the reception ....I am actually the only DJ in our crew that uses a Subwoofer in their set up. No clients ever want a larger light effect show, and we don't use totems with big moving heads. Up lighting is added in maybe 25% of the time this year.

My sister will set up 4 speakers for larger events. ...My brother will borrow a subwoofer from me if he feels he really needs one (This happens like once every 2 years). My other DJ only uses 2 speakers, and his speakers are so old, if I book him he asks to borrow a couple of my speakers. As for ceremony set up, most ceremonies only require a single speaker for sound. Most of the time, it's a battery powered speaker, or a single 10 inch Speaker.

I don't know what my other DJs use for cocktail hour these days, but every single cocktail hour I have done this year has been a battery powered speaker on a stand with phone streaming a set play list. I'll set up a laptop with mixer for cocktail hour if I have to, but have not done that in roughly 2 years now.

I actually wanted to promote a Full 1 hour arrival time guarantee. My other 3 DJs had a problem with that because they don't want to lose money based on a technicality. Their argument was "What if we run into major traffic, and even though we did arrive on sight over 60 minutes ahead of time, it happened to be a bigger venue, and it took us 10 or more minutes to find someone to check in with and let them know we are on site. ...The client could be emailing on Monday saying the DJ did not show up until 50 or 55 minutes before start time, and based on our policy we would have to refund them that money back based on a technicality." ...So we agreed on a 45 minute guarantee which comes them an additional 15 minute window to check in with who they need to check in with.

So in essence...45 minute arrival time guarantee actually means that the DJ should be arriving at least 60 minutes ahead of time, and up to 15 minutes to check in with said person. ....If they don't check in with someone at least 45 minutes ahead of start time, it's all their fault, and I'm not listening to any excuses over it, and they understand this.

Offering a "guarantee", my opinion, is low value in terms of selling. I tell my prospects "We arrive 2 hours before the first guest." It's concise, easy to grasp and believable. I've never had a prospect question "Do you REALLY get there 2 hours early?" Point being, don't sidetrack the conversation onto features that don't substantially help you win the sale. BTW, if your sister can't get to a gig on time, stop booking her. She's hurting you.

Offering a "guarantee", my opinion, is low value in terms of selling. I tell my prospects "We arrive 2 hours before the first guest." It's concise, easy to grasp and believable. I've never had a prospect question "Do you REALLY get there 2 hours early?" Point being, don't sidetrack the conversation onto features that don't substantially help you win the sale. BTW, if your sister can't get to a gig on time, stop booking her. She's hurting you.

I can give a recent example to where the guarantee actually helped us book the client over the $300 DJ quotes she received.

My brother was still open for Saturday Oct. 27th. A lead came in for a 40th Surprise birthday party.

I had my brother call the client to follow up on my quote. The client said "I got a bunch of quotes from thumbtack.com yesterday. None of those DJs have called to follow up with me like you have, but I did get 3 quotes for $300 for 5 hours. Can you match their price?

My brother said "Listen, there's a reason why these guys only charge $300, and it's because in one way or another they cut corners.They try to spend as little time as possible on your event! One of the biggest complaints we hear from people about other DJs is that the DJ showed up with only minutes to spear, and was running around trying to throw their equipment together so they can have music playing by the time the party is suppose to start. Sometimes we hear about a DJ being late to the party all together. I'm not saying this will automatically happen with one of these $300 DJs, but we offer a money back guarantee to arrive early enough for set up, and we want our clients to have a hassle free event when it comes to their DJ. We are all about providing the best customer service. Do you want to have your DJ running around setting up while guests are arriving for your husband's surprise birthday party?"

Immediately, she decided to book with us at a higher price because while a cheap price is attractive to her, ultimately she wants to ensure hiring someone professional, and with that guarantee in place, it helps her rationalize spending more money on the DJ.

Not every prospect will care about our guarantee, but with some, it makes them really think "Do I really want to trust my event to the low priced $300 DJ?"

Fact of the matter is that we aren't always getting clients calling up saying "I just have to book you guys no matter what!!!" ....Most clients, and honestly, nearly all clients are going to get multiple quotes from multiple DJs. ...Especially with thumbtack.com being so popular now. If a guarantee helps show value, and stand out from the others then I am going to offer that guarantee. ...And I don't see any other DJs in my area offering a "money back guarantee" like we are offering either.

I can give a recent example to where the guarantee actually helped us book the client over the $300 DJ quotes she received.

My brother was still open for Saturday Oct. 27th. A lead came in for a 40th Surprise birthday party.

I had my brother call the client to follow up on my quote. The client said "I got a bunch of quotes from thumbtack.com yesterday. None of those DJs have called to follow up with me like you have, but I did get 3 quotes for $300 for 5 hours. Can you match their price?

My brother said "Listen, there's a reason why these guys only charge $300, and it's because in one way or another they cut corners.They try to spend as little time as possible on your event! One of the biggest complaints we hear from people about other DJs is that the DJ showed up with only minutes to spear, and was running around trying to throw their equipment together so they can have music playing by the time the party is suppose to start. Sometimes we hear about a DJ being late to the party all together. I'm not saying this will automatically happen with one of these $300 DJs, but we offer a money back guarantee to arrive early enough for set up, and we want our clients to have a hassle free event when it comes to their DJ. We are all about providing the best customer service. Do you want to have your DJ running around setting up while guests are arriving for your husband's surprise birthday party?"

Immediately, she decided to book with us at a higher price because while a cheap price is attractive to her, ultimately she wants to ensure hiring someone professional, and with that guarantee in place, it helps her rationalize spending more money on the DJ.

Not every prospect will care about our guarantee, but with some, it makes them really think "Do I really want to trust my event to the low priced $300 DJ?"

Hey, if it works for you, it works. You got the gig. Congrats. In my book, offering some kind of "guarantee" rarely (if ever) wins a booking for you but that same guarantee is giving clients something to come back and try to beat you over the head with. Don't get me wrong, I think it's good to give them a statement that you typically arrive at so-and-so time but using the word "guarantee" leads to more problems than it solves.

As for that $300 price match client, let me offer how I would've answered it; "Yes ma'am, I can tell you lots of guys that will offer to book your party for $300-$500. The problem is, those cheap guys are usually more trouble than they're worth and will hurt your event more than they help. They'll show up late (if at all), or cancel on you when they get $5 more somewhere else, or they'll have crappy sounding gear, etc. etc. There's a reason why we cost more. We're worth every penny. That's why we have so many glowing reviews."

Fact of the matter is that we aren't always getting clients calling up saying "I just have to book you guys no matter what!!!" ....Most clients, and honestly, nearly all clients are going to get multiple quotes from multiple DJs. ...Especially with thumbtack.com being so popular now. If a guarantee helps show value, and stand out from the others then I am going to offer that guarantee. ...And I don't see any other DJs in my area offering a "money back guarantee" like we are offering either.
Ricky you're avoiding my point... and the example you gave to rick further proves my point. Your tactic is one that is only effective on cheap clients. The example you gave was for a $300-$500 dj service. Is that in reality what you want to be attracting with your new site. You have to change your mindset. Im not telling you to go book $2000 weddings, but cmon... $300-$500 gigs are what you're trying to win over? If that was the case, why bother with a new site, your existing one was doing a good enough job doing that and you could've kept money in your pocket. Your reputation is what will sell that point for you. Because you're aiming for cheap minded clients, many are quick to question the dj's reliability. At least get yourself to the average... but to do that, your site and approach will have to change.

Again, being brutally honest... despite your efforts for a brand revitalization, you're afraid to change your tactics. You're in a comfort zone with the clients you attract and what you currently offer. You said 2018 wasn't a great year, you're gonna stop using some lead services... so you're gonna have to do something to make up those leads... that means either find leads elsewhere or increase the revenue from the quantity of parties you get. Sorry, your new site despite your best efforts will not really get you new leads... just maybe some more excited leads... although your site is still attracting low priced clients in its current form. You have to therefore make an effort to get higher paying gigs, and unfortunately you just don't show to have that mindset, or wanting to make an effort to get them. You're way too much in a comfort zone and are not changing your ways... the BIGGEST proof of that is, despite you being in business for way longer than me, you have not been able to build a word of mouth clientele and are still relying heavily on outside leads.

Reactions: djcrazychris
Just a quick update.

I know that I at least booked 1 wedding due in large part from the website. What is great is it is a January wedding. So my January is now like 700% better than last January was because last January I had a single super cheap holiday party booked.

The sister of the bride was helping the bride look for a DJ. She came across the website, liked it, and gave my info to her sister the bride. The bride called me the very next day. I answered the phone, and after a 15 minute conversation she was ready to book. She also mentioned the had called like 4 other DJ companies over the past couple of weeks, and none of the other DJs answered the phone on the initial phone call. Some DJs never got back to her, and 1 DJ it took 3 days for a return call. She was happy I answered, and was comfortable booking after our conversation.

Now...This wedding is a far drive into Virginia. I'm trying to figure out how they came across my page because I don't place on google in Virginia at all. ...The sister either was looking for me and resides in Maryland, or perhaps they came across my site on a third party site first like Gig Masters or The Knot somehow. I'm not sure. If I get a chance to talk with the bride's sister, I will try to ask how she got my website info. It would be nice to know.

Oh, this is a very small wedding...Only about 32 guests in total will attend. Only close family, and a couple of very close friends pretty much. 4.5 hours including a ceremony.

Just a quick update.

I know that I at least booked 1 wedding due in large part from the website. What is great is it is a January wedding. So my January is now like 700% better than last January was because last January I had a single super cheap holiday party booked.

The sister of the bride was helping the bride look for a DJ. She came across the website, liked it, and gave my info to her sister the bride. The bride called me the very next day. I answered the phone, and after a 15 minute conversation she was ready to book. She also mentioned the had called like 4 other DJ companies over the past couple of weeks, and none of the other DJs answered the phone on the initial phone call. Some DJs never got back to her, and 1 DJ it took 3 days for a return call. She was happy I answered, and was comfortable booking after our conversation.

Now...This wedding is a far drive into Virginia. I'm trying to figure out how they came across my page because I don't place on google in Virginia at all. ...The sister either was looking for me and resides in Maryland, or perhaps they came across my site on a third party site first like Gig Masters or The Knot somehow. I'm not sure. If I get a chance to talk with the bride's sister, I will try to ask how she got my website info. It would be nice to know.

Oh, this is a very small wedding...Only about 32 guests in total will attend. Only close family, and a couple of very close friends pretty much. 4.5 hours including a ceremony.

Real nice to pick one up for January :)

Glad you got the booking, although im curious of 2 things...

1. why haven't you made any of the suggested changes to your site over the last month.
2. it's been a month since the completion of your site. What impact has it had on the number of leads you get, the quality of leads, and booking rate? I know the company you used were promising seo results and such... just curious what the results have been.

Glad you got the booking, although im curious of 2 things...

1. why haven't you made any of the suggested changes to your site over the last month.
2. it's been a month since the completion of your site. What impact has it had on the number of leads you get, the quality of leads, and booking rate? I know the company you used were promising seo results and such... just curious what the results have been.

I don't have much faith is SEO people that make big promises but to be fair it would likely take a month to see any significant differences

@DJ Ricky B buy this address and have it forwarded to yours it will do more than any SEO magician will to jump you in the listings and it will cost you less than 10 bucks

djbaltimoredc.com

Or this one

mddcdj.com

Or even better both

Last edited:
I don't have much faith is SEO people that make big promises but to be fair it would likely take a month to see any significant differences
I don't expect there to be any results on the seo end... which was what I was saying from the beginning. But still curious to see what the results have been to this point. He probably would have better results by paying 10 and getting those domains