Just got this

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
What events? You claim I hardly do any. It says nothing at all about events I do. To be fair some do plan properly when having an event. I agree with them looking to spend $300 or less. You never. They may have gotten what I call a fake DJ to agree to do it. I call them a fake DJ if they bailed out on the job for another one paying more.

I never claimed you hardly do any - you're constantly talking about not having alot.

As for the events that you do - the ones we hear about - are mostly last minute type things. According to your own post, last minute events don't want to pay alot.

... my whole point about this story is we (DJs) are the last to be called and just a few days before the event

Who cares?

Dear RoseAn,

Thank you for thinking of me. Unfortunately, I'm already booked on another event for that day and time and not available. It sounds like a really nice plan for your mother's birthday, and that you've got most of the details well covered. Perhaps all you need is a small sound system with a microphone and a place to connect iTunes or a similar music source? I do have very easy to use rental systems that have worked very well for others with similar plans.

I can be reached at xxx-xxx-xxxx, and would be happy to give you more information.
Thank you,

Mr DJ.

Business is business whether it's twelve months or twelve minutes from now. You do your best to find the kind of situations and clients that mate well with your own preferences and timelines but, if you're any good at all word gets around and you're going to be contacted by all kinds of people with all kinds of unique situations. I'm not seeing a problem with this, because the alternative is to complain about the compliment a new prospect just paid you, and to whine about things that aren't your problem. Oh wait! ...we're already doing that. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hank Davidson
Now no contract DJ's are fake ?
If they agree to do a job and either cancel on doing the event or are a no show what would you call them? Sure an emergency can arise where they can't make it but my experience is rarely is that the case. The day my father died I did a 50th birthday celebration. I could have not done the event. I called to tell the person what happened and they were willing to let me not show up to do the event. I still showed up and did the event.

I dont see a real big issue with the 21 and or 17 day lead time for this event, its not an event that is going to require a lot of prep work, and it sounds everything has been planned, it is almost a show up and play music, no fuss, no muss.

Who cares?

Business is business whether it's twelve months or twelve minutes from now. You do your best to find the kind of situations and clients that mate well with your own preferences and timelines but, if you're any good at all word gets around and you're going to be contacted by all kinds of people with all kinds of unique situations. I'm not seeing a problem with this, because the alternative is to complain about the compliment a new prospect just paid you, and to whine about thing things that aren't your problem. Oh wait! ...we're already doing that. :)

My POINT is WHY are we the last to call. This person had to take time to arrange everything , get the venue, send out invites ( which she said 75 were coming ) she went so far as to get songs and put them on a usb thumb drive. First I stated I already have a event that day. Let me say this if you had a special band and or DJ and you were getting married might you get in contact with them to see what dates they have open to plan your wedding, just a thought

My POINT is WHY are we the last to call. This person had to take time to arrange everything , get the venue, send out invites ( which she said 75 were coming ) she went so far as to get songs and put them on a usb thumb drive. First I stated I already have a event that day. Let me say this if you had a special band and or DJ and you were getting married might you get in contact with them to see what dates they have open to plan your wedding, just a thought

You already know the answer - so, what's your real complaint?

Yes - they have to arrange everything from venue, catering, invitations, and responses. The truth of that is you're a contingency. If none of that other stuff comes together - they won't need a DJ. That truth is reflected in their ability to gather and program all of the music they want without respect to any given DJ and then go forward with or without one.

This event is not a wedding, and you're not that special - no DJ is. Sorry, no sane couple is going to choose their wedding date based on the DJs schedule. The prudent advice is that they simply start early enough to broaden the availability of good choices. That advice applies with respect to any vendor, it just happens to be much easier to change DJs than it does venues or caterers. There are more than enough DJs to go around.

Last minute gigs are the very same things that we ourselves tend to throw together - Birthdays, graduation, anniversaries, retirement, sports, school, and work milestone, etc. Weddings usually inquire and book 18 months in advance, Bar/bat mitzvahs (where families do in fact, have a favorite entertainer) as much as 36 months in advance. So - the advance booking you seek is already the norm for major life events. We just have to be properly positioned in the loop to connect with this kind of prospect.

If you're complaint is that you don't think people see you as important - well, they contacted you using your name based on a knowledge of who you are and what you do. I'd say that's a pretty big compliment right there.

Don't complain, at least you probably got details from them. As of this morning, my client for tomorrow has yet to fill out her planner, return my calls or email and she hasn't paid her balance. There's nothing quite so nice as being reminded that you're unimportant.

Don't complain, at least you probably got details from them. As of this morning, my client for tomorrow has yet to fill out her planner, return my calls or email and she hasn't paid her balance. There's nothing quite so nice as being reminded that you're unimportant.

on that might be a good reason for you not to do this event no response no call back no money ( then you don't show )

Reactions: sonic-vision
on that might be a good reason for you not to do this event no response no call back no money ( then you don't show )

I FINALLY got a call back a few minutes ago. Itty-bitty wedding, 20 guests total. She picked her 1st dance and parent dances and let me do the rest. No planner involved so I can just run a normal timeline. She said she's paying the balance in an hour. Like most of you, I don't like these types of gigs either but they do happen. Seems I get 1 or 2 per year that are like this. Guess it pays to just keep your cool and stay persistent. Last week was much the same as this one (and yes, I did my part in a timely fashion).

I FINALLY got a call back a few minutes ago. Itty-bitty wedding, 20 guests total. She picked her 1st dance and parent dances and let me do the rest. No planner involved so I can just run a normal timeline. She said she's paying the balance in an hour. Like most of you, I don't like these types of gigs either but they do happen. Seems I get 1 or 2 per year that are like this. Guess it pays to just keep your cool and stay persistent. Last week was much the same as this one (and yes, I did my part in a timely fashion).

Yup. What can we do? Hopefully she isn't a cray cray who will throw you under the bus in a online review because you bothered her for final payment the day before the wedding, and stuck her to the agreement she signed.

Not a problem for me. I get that it's not a large number of people attending the wedding and ego says there should be many more to see me at work. So long as they agree to the price I quote them and the check clears, that's what counts the most. I also forgot to mention if I'm the right DJ for the job I would do it.

Not a problem for me. I get that it's not a large number of people attending the wedding and ego says there should be many more to see me at work. So long as they agree to the price I quote them and the check clears, that's what counts the most. I also forgot to mention if I'm the right DJ for the job I would do it.

Mix Don't you understand its not about YOU on there special day, your not there to show off your stuff

Mix Don't you understand its not about YOU on there special day, your not there to show off your stuff
Of course. My point was that some would feel it's not worth doing for such a small crowd. Also the pay may not be worth it. I don't see the bride spending 1k for a DJ to do this wedding.

Yes it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mix when a bribe calls I tell her the price if she says yes I don't care if there is 10 people or 1000, its her money soon to be mine
If the bride agrees to pay that price then their money becomes yours after getting paid.