Just got this part 2

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

redhotdj

Its 5 O'clock somewhere
Mar 21, 2008
Richfield Springs n.y.
just got this last night

Hi, I was wondering if you are available to DJ or prom on May 20th 7-11pm?

Jason Merrill

Social Studies Teacher

Junior Class Adviser

Sheveron Yearbook

I wrote him back telling him thanks for asking but I already have a event going on that date I then said you do know its only 12 days away. I Told him good luck in finding someone Good and at a reasonable price.

Not sure what the purpose of this discussion is. Does this inquiry become a topic of conversation here because the event is on Friday night? Is it a big deal because it's a prom?

I Told him good luck in finding someone Good and at a reasonable price.

I hope you were sincere, but it doesn't sound like it... and that's a problem with a lot of DJs. It's one thing to wish someone good luck, but to add "good and at a reasonable price" implies that a) they won't be able to find it, and that b) you couldn't be less helpful to them, even if the circumstances were different. It's one thing to say you're unavailable, but to add the additional jab which basically tells them they'll never find someone like you anyways is needless. If they don't contact you for next year's prom, this will be the reason why. Surely you could've recommended someone else in the area who might be available, no? Every time I have to turn down an inquiry, I at least take a minute to find and recommend a DJ who can help them find what they need.

It's one thing to wish someone good luck, but to add "good and at a reasonable price" implies that a) they won't be able to find it, and that b) you couldn't be less helpful to them, even if the circumstances were different. It's one thing to say you're unavailable, but to add the additional jab which basically tells them they'll never find someone like you anyways is needless.

Not to pile on but Brendan is right. This was an opportunity lost on your part. The jab will almost certainly cost you any opportunity for their biz in the future, especially if it's the same teacher/admin who books the DJ each year. When you make people feel bad, they remember it forever. It's much better to be a bit contrite, even if you're laughing on the inside, and express sadness that you're not available and end with a "I would love to work with you next year." Don't feel too bad though, just learn from the mistake and correct it next time. Thanks for sharing.

First there are very few or next to none around here who have the fire power I have, so to find that they will have to find someone out of the area who I'm sure will be a lot of money ( in which I could care less about ) My point to him was good luck in finding someone. Second I have never had a call from this school, back in Feb. I send out postcards to 30 different schools saying PROM TIME in bold letters. Who knows maybe they had a dj maybe not. Must be something in the water around here

My point was you only have 12 days and good luck in finding someone
I guess there's the "I wish you well" Good Luck .. and the sarcastic "Good Luck with that" Good Luck .. I think it sounded like the latter if you added the "finding someone good at that price" part.

...I then said you do know its only 12 days away.

Maybe this quote was embellished for us (although I can't imagine why), but if that's what you really wrote, it's very degrading.
That dig is what makes the "good luck" sentiment sound sarcastic.

Reactions: ittigger
I wrote him back telling him thanks for asking but I already have a event going on that date I then said you do know its only 12 days away. I Told him good luck in finding someone Good and at a reasonable price.

It was enough to say that you were booked an unavailable.

Being rude is uncalled for and it impacts ALL OF US. So, I don't appreciate your response any more than the prospect might.

First there are very few or next to none around here who have the fire power I have...

Give me 30 minutes....

You're not that special. Unless your market is the International Space Station - There's ALWAYS someone else.

Last edited:
First there are very few or next to none around here who have the fire power I have, so to find that they will have to find someone out of the area who I'm sure will be a lot of money ( in which I could care less about )

I've done weddings in Verona, and with approximately 175 kids in the junior class there, not a lot of firepower is needed. Easy for most DJs to handle.

Red, sorry if this is coming off as piling on. You know your biz, and obviously are right about the situation. They must've had someone back out on them is what it sounds like. Too bad you weren't open, so you could've saved the day for them. Hopefully they'll call you first, next year.

It was enough to say that you were booked an unavailable.

Being rude is uncalled for and it impacts ALL OF US. So, I don't appreciate your response any more than the prospect might.

And if they had another dj that backed out YOU don't think That doesn't impacts us all

Give me 30 minutes....

You're not that special. Unless your market is the International Space Station - There's ALWAYS someone else.

first do You live 30 minutes away, and sure they will find someone but if it was your prom how happy would you be if the dj that showed up had 2 speakers and no lights GET THIS straight I never said I was special

Not to pile on but Brendan is right. This was an opportunity lost on your part. The jab will almost certainly cost you any opportunity for their biz in the future, especially if it's the same teacher/admin who books the DJ each year. When you make people feel bad, they remember it forever. It's much better to be a bit contrite, even if you're laughing on the inside, and express sadness that you're not available and end with a "I would love to work with you next year."

I hope you see the irony in YOU saying that.
:nod:
You are absolutely correct, though.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
for the adviser at this short of notice to find some at a reasonable price wont be easy, if the dj knows the adviser is in a tight spot he (the dj) can charge anything he wants, that's what in was saying when I told him good luck

for the adviser at this short of notice to find some at a reasonable price wont be easy, if the dj knows the adviser is in a tight spot he (the dj) can charge anything he wants, that's what in was saying when I told him good luck

Actually, this late in the game, it is much more likely they will find a DJ who is eager to book something if they are open. That DJ will likely offer a lower price, or choose to work for whatever their budget is.

It's generally easier to BOOK A DJ at alower price within 30 days of the event date than it is to find DJs at a low price 1 year out, or even 5 months out. The only uncertain factor is if any DJ is available, and willing to work the event 12 days out.

I get this type of inquiry all the time. If I am booked I automatically say "Unfortunately, I am booked. However, I have 3 other DJs on my roster. Give me 1 hour to check their schedules and reach out to one of them to see if they are able to do this dance for you." Customer always says "Oh sure, of course, I know we don't have a lot of time here, so if anybody is available, pleast let me know. Me ---> "OK...Give me 1 hour, and I will get back to you, and if I don't have any of my DJs available, I can reach out to a talent agency I am affiliated with, and see if they have anybody available that I can book for you on your behalf",

This type of inquiry isn't too concerned with WHO the DJ is. They just want to know they are booking a qualified DJ who is available, and willing to do the job for them. This is usually easy money for me for just handling the contract.

I just booked one last Friday for this Saturday. Put one of my DJs on it who was open and willing to do it and work within their budget. Their budget was $600. I take 20% for booking him on it, and he has money he wasn't expected on making this weekend.

If he wasn't available, I could have still booked a DJ through the agency. I would have split the commission with them on booking one of their DJs.