Weddings I'm no Peter Merry

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is Peter Merry?:triconfused:Guess I better start googling!!!!

He's a mobile DJ/entertainer that easily makes over $2,500 per gig & for some reason there are DJs want to rip him to shreds for raising the bar.

He (and others) get that money, but...they earn it. Anyone can just show up & play music for $600

its about one who raises the bar

and talks down to the ones who might benefit the most from experience and assistance. 600 dollars or any other number has no real bearing on what the customer will get. Take price out of it and you have talented and gifted entertainers and DJs and you have schooled DJs with gear and music. Then there are the ones who have no talent, no gift and no education. The price in itself is not indicative to the profit margin. Many high dollar efforts cost more to operate and some have figured out how to offer satisfaction for far less. The economy has forced businesses all across the Western Hemisphere to cinch up their belts to survive the current wave. So does this mean that big companies are now amongst bottom feeders?:trismug:
He's a mobile DJ/entertainer that easily makes over $2,500 per gig & for some reason there are DJs want to rip him to shreds for raising the bar.

He (and others) get that money, but...they earn it. Anyone can just show up & play music for $600

Well who ever he is - Nobody has ever mentioned his talents to me so I guess I will just keep on keeping on!!! Thanks everyone but I never compare myself to anyone but I'm not ignorant enough to know that there is always something to learn to make my business better!

What he really is is a wedding planner. Since those are a dime a dozen in his area, he came up with the idea to call himself a DJ for marketing purposes. From what has been witnessed, his actual DJ SKILLS are negligible. He just markets well.

Last I heard he makes 6000

That was trhee yrs ago so with inflation he must be easily charging 7,500 by now.So he lowers it to 2500 for what opportunity? Sort of like dropping the price of the Guild?:triwink:

In this area...some people would laugh and say "You will never get that here!"

Who is Peter Merry?:triconfused:Guess I better start googling!!!!

Actually I was just going to ask the same thing

I am my own man and dont listen to crap

That was trhee yrs ago so with inflation he must be easily charging 7,500 by now.So he lowers it to 2500 for what opportunity? Sort of like dropping the price of the Guild?:triwink:

Jon,
I could be wrong, but I believe Bill was just mentioning that he charges much more than a typical DJ. I believe you took his statement out of context. He said "easily $2,500". I didn't take that to mean that Bill has been monitoring his bookings and knows that he has now dropped his rate down to $2,500.

I think this is a perfect example of how misinformation gets spread. Next you'll read somewhere else, "I read that Peter Merry had to lower his rate from $5,000 to $2,500".

Again, I have NO IDEA what he typically gets. I don't think anyone else here does either. I'm guessing he gets more than me.

If you have some reason not to like the guy, that's cool. Like I mentioned before, I don't know him. But spreading misinformation benefits no one. People have told me that he talks down to DJs like me. But I have never heard it yet. When I do, maybe I won't like him. Doesn't mean I won't be able to learn from him. I can learn from just about anybody.

Could someone please define DJ skills that are more than negligible? I would like to know because from what I have observed most DJs skills are probably negligible.

Peter still works more than 30 events a year for more than $5K each. Argue all you want.
the goal of a DJ business is make money & peter does that as a Wedding Performer.

So Tommy,

Are you calling Peter a Liar?

If you gentlemen put just as much effort into building your own businesses as you do with taking potshots and tearing down someone else's, you MIGHT be able to make more than you are currently charging. Or get more events. Or increase your performance skills. Or program new lighting sequences. Or join Toastmasters. I can think of a million better things to do with my time than complain about someone else.

Saying that...I've got some work to do.

Hey I make what I want and dont expect to OVER Charge clients

I am happy at what I charge and have adjusted my prices to suit
now thats how I have been for 33+ years

Its not I am BIGGER than yours so WHO THE F**K CARES I dont

So Tommy,

Are you calling Peter a Liar?

Well, on another board he was asked to prove it and he failed to do so. Posting one contract with the price tag and the client's signature would have done it for me.

So he claims... I doubt he gets that often.... I bet if he opened his books we might find a whole mess of $1500 weddings.

I'd like to think that someone endorsed by the ADJA like him would be honest though. I went to a seminar put on by him, and I must say at first I was taken back by his price, but if you think about it like a car, there are plenty of people buying Kia cars, but there are also plenty of people buying $110k range rovers...you just have to know where to find them. Once you do find them, they lead you to more clients like them.

I'd like to think that someone endorsed by the ADJA like him would be honest though. I went to a seminar put on by him, and I must say at first I was taken back by his price, but if you think about it like a car, there are plenty of people buying Kia cars, but there are also plenty of people buying $110k range rovers...you just have to know where to find them. Once you do find them, they lead you to more clients like them.

Nice website Brian!!!:triwink:

We have DJs here in Phoenix that are getting over $2,500 per gig with no problem. I know this for a fact. I've seen the contracts. This may be difficult for some DJs to understand, but it's true. I actually made $2,200 for one gig (ceremony, reception & photo montage...6 hr. gig)

I'm not at that level to get it as often as others. And YES, I spent a lot of time pre-planning & hand holding with them. But they were totally pleased. I have received many referral gigs from them.

Truth is, there ARE people out there that WILL pay it, you just gotta find them. If you think you are only worth $500, than there you are.

We have DJs here in Phoenix that are getting over $2,500 per gig with no problem. I know this for a fact. I've seen the contracts. This may be difficult for some DJs to understand, but it's true. I actually made $2,200 for one gig (ceremony, reception & photo montage...6 hr. gig)

I'm not at that level to get it as often as others. And YES, I spent a lot of time pre-planning & hand holding with them. But they were totally pleased. I have received many referral gigs from them.

Truth is, there ARE people out there that WILL pay it, you just gotta find them. If you think you are only worth $500, than there you are.

I agree, to date I have done three $2500+ gigs! One was a 12 hour biker bash/wedding/party, One was a wedding on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (a three hour drive for me) and one was an 8 hour event where I had to hire an sound company to set up the sound!

So yes it can be done! There are also people who will pave your driveway for $5,000, there are also "home improvement" guys who will fix your roof for $2500 but they generally prey on old people!

Just because you can do something doesn't make it the right thing to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.