I'm feeling like a newbie today (just a bit)

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
JW... but being that i see no actual dj equipment... how is it that you're transitioning songs, or jumping to cue points/creating loops etc? I know you're going for a more upscale dj image, but one of the biggest components of that is the vision that guests have of a dj actually mixing, and the impression of platters some sort.

+1. It's when you see setups like this that you realize why some DJs are failing, or why they have trouble attracting the higher-end clients that they feel they should be able to book. Guests don't look at a setup like that and think that they're looking at a professional DJ. They may not even have to; the transitions and actual performance may be the first indicator.

I'm not saying that we should all be the same and own a DDJ-whatever as standard-issue gear, but I know this much: the right tools make our job as the DJ & entertainer MUCH more enjoyable, and the cost of entry is so low. There's no reason not to try spinning with software and hardware that was designed for what we do.

the right tools make our job as the DJ & entertainer MUCH more enjoyable, and the cost of entry is so low. There's no reason not to try spinning with software and hardware that was designed for what we do.
...and it's fun! It is truly incredible what Serato, Mixvibes, Traktor, etc., can do, even with a newbie controller.

I know in the past there have been reliability concerns running DJ software. I have run Serato DJ and Mixvibes Cross DJ pretty extensively - not once have they thrown up on me. Disclaimer - I do not run Video. Also, my next gig will be in my garage since the Gods will probably punish me!

Reactions: ittigger
+1. It's when you see setups like this that you realize why some DJs are failing, or why they have trouble attracting the higher-end clients that they feel they should be able to book. Guests don't look at a setup like that and think that they're looking at a professional DJ. They may not even have to; the transitions and actual performance may be the first indicator.

I'm not saying that we should all be the same and own a DDJ-whatever as standard-issue gear, but I know this much: the right tools make our job as the DJ & entertainer MUCH more enjoyable, and the cost of entry is so low. There's no reason not to try spinning with software and hardware that was designed for what we do.

I agree. Should be using VDJ, Serato, Mix Meister, or some program DJ oriented to mix the music. Everybody knows how to play music on windows media player or a Itunes player etc.

On the other hand, I remember rocking parties using 2 single disc CD Players, and a cheap hand me down radio shack mixer when I first started out. No effects were available in that set up. Just mixing the music one song into another, and my dance floors were packed. Shortly after went to the Numark CD Mix 1. Same concept, just that it was an all in one unit. It did have pitch/bend jog wheels, and it was easier to cue up songs, but other than that the same concept.

None of the guests will care what the DJ is using behind the facade or on the table (Maybe other DJs will if they are in the room).

Now, a Skilled DJ with a controller with all the bells and whistles will be able to put on a better sounding mix, and be able to incorporate more of a show on the decks. However, probably a small % of clientele are truly looking for that...or even aware of that!

I haven't used a controller in a few years now myself. Although, I do use 2 laptops with VDJ set up on both, and use the Multi Touch interface on one of them...pretty much bypassing a controller. If I did use a controller, I could easily do it with a $99 Numark Party Mix as it has all the essential options for performing a private event. If I did Club Work, or if my Selling Point was truly putting on a creative mix show at my events, and scratching through out the night, then yes, I would need a high end controller. I feel at private events, very few of the options/abilities with higher end controllers are ever shown by DJs who bring that equipment out with them to events. The only time I have seen DJs take advantage of utilizing those higher end controllers were at the DJ Expo.

I agree. Should be using VDJ, Serato, Mix Meister, or some program DJ oriented to mix the music. Everybody knows how to play music on windows media player or a Itunes player etc..

Are we seriously still having this "You're not a REAL DJ if you don't you such-and-such software" discussion?

None of the guests will care what the DJ is using behind the facade or on the table (Maybe other DJs will if they are in the room).

Guests notice even when they're not DJs. They may not know what it does, but they'll talk: "It looks like air traffic control", "wow - how does that work?", and my favorite... "that looks expensive".

In all three of those instances, what they're really saying is that what you use to do your job is impressive. If what's behind your facade looks like it'd be at home on a parade float, a school orientation night, or in the corner at a VFW hall, it might be time to change things up.

Are we seriously still having this "You're not a REAL DJ if you don't you such-and-such software" discussion?

You know, Rick, we are. And now that DJs have become bigger rockstars than rockstars themselves, the discussion is more relevant than ever.

You know, Rick, we are. And now that DJs have become bigger rockstars than rockstars themselves, the discussion is more relevant than ever.

Feel free to use the tools you prefer and I'm going to continue using mine. I used VDJ, along with an MC6000 controller. I had more bumps and bruises during that couple of years than all of the other years with winamp. I prefer winamp.

On the other hand, I remember rocking parties using 2 single disc CD Players, and a cheap hand me down radio shack mixer when I first started out. No effects were available in that set up. Just mixing the music one song into another, and my dance floors were packed.
They used to operate on people without anesthesia - you can't go backwards.

You know of the Special Forces and the Green Berets? Scotland has the McGregor Commandos. At 03:00 in the morning the new Commanding Officer (CO) walks into Command Headquarters, the Duty Officer snaps to attention - "Good morning Sir"! The new CO says "At 03:15 I want you to sound the bugle - I want the troops to fall out for a full field dress inspection at 03:30". The Duty Officer says "but Sir, it's the middle of the night"! The CO glares at him sternly - "These men are McGregor Commandos!! That's an order!!!"

03:15 the bugle sounds. It's pitch black in the barracks, guys stumbling all around trying to get ready, doing the best the can. 03:30 comes too quickly, but they are finally lined up, 50 pounds of equipment on their backs, and standing at full attention. Here comes the new CO, waxed mustache, spit and polish, spurs on his boots, and riding crop under his arm, to inspect the troops.

He starts walking the line and finds a soldier with his tie askew. The CO pulls it up so tight it cuts off the blood circulation to his head, the soldier almost passes out, but he doesn't say a word. Finally he lets it loose, and the color comes back to the soldiers face. The CO looks him in the eye and says "Son, did that hurt?" "No Sir!" "Why son?" "Because I'm a McGregor Commando!" "Aye, good lad" says the CO.

A little further down the line some poor soul has only one boot on. The CO steps in front of him, takes the spur of his riding boot and proceeds to grind the instep of the soldiers foot about 6 inches into the ground. The soldier doesn't move, not a sound. The CO looks him in the eye and says "Son, did that hurt?" "No Sir!" "Why son?" "Because I'm a McGregor Commando!" "Aye, good lad too" says the CO.

Now the CO sees a soldier sportin' a rather impressive woody, holding his kilt out. The CO steps back, takes the riding crop from under his arm, and proceeds to beat the crap out of it. The soldier doesn't flinch, he doesn't even blink! Finally the CO looks him in the eye and says "Son, did that hurt?" "No Sir", he says! "Why son?" "Because it belongs to the man behind me!!"

Welcome to the McGregor Commandos!

Last edited:
Feel free to use the tools you prefer and I'm going to continue using mine. I used VDJ, along with an MC6000 controller. I had more bumps and bruises during that couple of years than all of the other years with winamp. I prefer winamp.

That is what is great about being a Mobile DJ. We can use whatever tools we desire to use. There is no right, or wrong software, or hardware to utilize to do our jobs.

I could go back to using CDs if I wanted to, and have no laptop, or device set up. The problem would be the ability to download songs that I do not have on CD, and guests pretty much expect an unlimited library, and a connection to the internet today.

I do admit though, that winamp is very limited in what you can actually do with it as a DJ. You aren't able to Loop...Set Cue Points...No effects, no pitch control.

FYI... my bringing up of the tools used was never about how good a dj you are, or if you're a real dj or not... it was simply meant to point out the perception that a client creates. I know whenever I dj, I often get people (mostly guys) just staring at me for minutes at a time while I'm doing my thing and making adjustments, etc. It creates an impression on them that what this dj is doing is "special". Top tier clients want special.

I do admit though, that winamp is very limited in what you can actually do with it as a DJ. You aren't able to Loop...Set Cue Points...No effects, no pitch control.
I think there was a plugin available for pitch/tempo. Some of Winamps shortcomings have workarounds, but the real killer for me is the lack of a beat-grided waveform. Like i said, no Fun!

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I think there was a plugin available for pitch/tempo. Some of Winamps shortcomings have workarounds, but the real killer for me is the lack of a beat-grided waveform. Like i said, no Fun!

At some point, I may go back to a "real" DJ software and controller. Gave VDJ a legit try and it just kept causing me grief so I punted it. I liked the preamps in the MC6000 but didn't have a need for the turntables (using winamp). I do understand what Taso is saying about the perception. If I were doing Sweet16s, I'd definitely want the extra toolset but for my wedding clients, I'm generally playing full-length songs and the auto crossfades that I have setup in winamp work perfectly well. I do think that the video integration is better with the DJ players but at this point, it's a non-issue for me.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Me thinks there are way different guest perception expectations between sweet 16's and weddings. Taso, care to respond?

Me thinks there are way different guest perception expectations between sweet 16's and weddings. Taso, care to respond?
I had a response prior to the update... ill try and remember what I said.

Let's put aside the "high end" market for a second. Let's assume we're talking about everyday, middle of the road, avg priced dj. Theres less of the gimmicky stuff going on here like crazy lighting and tv's and such... so how does one stand out from the competition? Obviously at this price level dj's tend to not have the financial resources to go spending big money on transformative equipment... and therefore its all in the overall performance. This includes things like mixing, transitions, a polished mc performance, your physical appearance (yes it makes a difference) and your actual dj performance and showmanship. This visual eye candy stands out from the majority who tend to stand, appear robotic, and have mixing skills that are either non existent or barely impress. Seeing a dj enjoying himself and "working" the music creates a perception of a dj that's "legit" and "knows what hes doing". People feed off the energy that a dj portrays... and if you're literally pressing buttons and letitng songs just simply fade... let's be real... you aren't impressing anyone.

Now as far as sweet 16's and weddings go. I actually find the performance of the dj more appreciated at weddings as opposed to sweet 16's. At sweet's kids are jumping up and down trying to impress their friends and are impressed by the flashyness of lights and smoke and other distractions... at weddings, where that stuff is less common, it is the dj himself that people watch. Even the people not dancing are watching the dj. I literally have had people record videos of me mixing on my ddj-sz cause as they said "you really know what you're doing".

I had a response prior to the update... ill try and remember what I said.

Let's put aside the "high end" market for a second. Let's assume we're talking about everyday, middle of the road, avg priced dj. Theres less of the gimmicky stuff going on here like crazy lighting and tv's and such... so how does one stand out from the competition? Obviously at this price level dj's tend to not have the financial resources to go spending big money on transformative equipment... and therefore its all in the overall performance. This includes things like mixing, transitions, a polished mc performance, your physical appearance (yes it makes a difference) and your actual dj performance and showmanship. This visual eye candy stands out from the majority who tend to stand, appear robotic, and have mixing skills that are either non existent or barely impress. Seeing a dj enjoying himself and "working" the music creates a perception of a dj that's "legit" and "knows what hes doing". People feed off the energy that a dj portrays... and if you're literally pressing buttons and letitng songs just simply fade... let's be real... you aren't impressing anyone.

Now as far as sweet 16's and weddings go. I actually find the performance of the dj more appreciated at weddings as opposed to sweet 16's. At sweet's kids are jumping up and down trying to impress their friends and are impressed by the flashyness of lights and smoke and other distractions... at weddings, where that stuff is less common, it is the dj himself that people watch. Even the people not dancing are watching the dj. I literally have had people record videos of me mixing on my ddj-sz cause as they said "you really know what you're doing".

This guy must REALLY GET TOP DOLLAR! He is super into it, and obviously enjoys what he does! :laugh:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9vvPQW9N1c

I bet it's iTunes on the screen ...

No DJ facade, no hair brush, my dog does better transitions. The military term is "leading from the front/not" - we could all learn a lot from this/not.

Last edited:
Seeing a dj enjoying himself and "working" the music creates a perception of a dj that's "legit" and "knows what hes doing".

At weddings, where that stuff is less common, it is the dj himself that people watch. Even the people not dancing are watching the dj.

Taso, 2 excellent points! Well said.