I'm feeling like a newbie today (just a bit)

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
Haven't done a gig since the end of December. First wedding of the season today, should be a softball. DJ/MC, dance lighting and uplighting. The client pre-paid $1550 and added a $300 tip already. Only had 1 brief phone consult after he (the groom) filled out the online planner. I've never spoken with the bride. Also, today is the first time to use the new facade/booth setup. I got the new 9X18 fixtures in but they're being slow to charge. Doesn't look like I'm going to get to use them but thankfully I didn't sell off the slimpars yet. Guess they'll get one more run today. My ceremony starts at 4:30p, is about 45 minutes and is over by 9:30p. Kinda bummed about the uplights not being charged but hey, at least the gig should be easy.

Haven't done a gig since the end of December. First wedding of the season today, should be a softball. DJ/MC, dance lighting and uplighting. The client pre-paid $1550 and added a $300 tip already. Only had 1 brief phone consult after he (the groom) filled out the online planner. I've never spoken with the bride. Also, today is the first time to use the new facade/booth setup. I got the new 9X18 fixtures in but they're being slow to charge. Doesn't look like I'm going to get to use them but thankfully I didn't sell off the slimpars yet. Guess they'll get one more run today. My ceremony starts at 4:30p, is about 45 minutes and is over by 9:30p. Kinda bummed about the uplights not being charged but hey, at least the gig should be easy.
Why didn’t you charge the lights from the night before??

Why didn’t you charge the lights from the night before??

I put 8 of them on last night. They're still only at 55%. Not sure why they're taking so long to charge but I'd rather not chance it. I have 10 battery slimpars and the rest are plug-in. I'll just stick with my old fixtures for this gig.

Chinese lights .. suffering from jetlag probably ..

I put 8 of them on last night. They're still only at 55%. Not sure why they're taking so long to charge but I'd rather not chance it. I have 10 battery slimpars and the rest are plug-in. I'll just stick with my old fixtures for this gig.
That's weird... I can go from empty to full in about 8hrs. Typically after an event, I only need about 4 hours to go back to full for the next day.

Please report back after the event.

The gig went well, although quite short. We were done by 8:30p. Small room and about 125 guests. I met the bride for the first time at the event (I'd spoken with the groom) and she was very touchy-feeley and informed me that she was drinking bourbon out of her Yeti mug. She didn't to wait on the special events and kept sending word to "do this right now" (talking about 1st dance, cake, grand entrance, etc.). Overall, it was a good event and lots of compliments.

We used the new facade (see pics). My son put up 2 slimpars for back light, one blue and one yellow. The rest of the room was blue. After dancing started I threw 2 more slimpars behind it and put them on sound active (it's what you see in the pic). I think these may look better to use colorstrips or maybe LED tape lights. The par cans put too small of a hotspot. The facade is well-built and it went together quickly. The table has plenty of room and is pretty deep. It feels a lot more solid than a front board that I'm always worried somebody is going to knock over. Also, that angled top stops most (not all) of the people who want to hang their drinks over the top of your mixer or laptops. The unit is big enough to put subs in behind it but as you can see I split the subs and mounted tops and acrobats over each sub.

I think the 4 colors is kinda busy.....but that is just me. How wide is the facade? And we have done several events where the liquid was going well before the event....always makes it interesting!

I admit, I don't like the circus colors either. The unit is 4 feet wide. The table surface clamps onto the frame. It's a very solid-feeling unit and just the right height. I really like that top section that folds inward at 45 degrees. I think if I can get the lighting right this is going to be a winner.

U really only need two uplights for that facade... no need to angle them into the facade... but simply pointing straight up should do just fine as the uplights you have have decent spreads.

JW... but being that i see no actual dj equipment... how is it that you're transitioning songs, or jumping to cue points/creating loops etc? I know you're going for a more upscale dj image, but one of the biggest components of that is the vision that guests have of a dj actually mixing, and the impression of platters some sort. It seems like as if you have two computers set up, with a song playing from each one, and just fading one into the other... if so what happens if one should stop or freeze?

Forgot to add... the Facade looks good with your compact setup. Very proportianate and unique, especially to the area. In some cases, it may even look cleaner with no lighting behind it.

Last edited:
I like that it's compact, and does not look LARGE. For me, I'd be worries about table space though. I can use my 4 foot table fine when I don't have a light show, but when I do have a light show, I really need a 5 foot table for my controller, and do prefer the 6 foot table when I do weddings just to have some extra side space.
This set up will allow you to fit into corners, and smaller areas easier which is a plus.

How long does it take you to set up? How long is tear down of the unit?

Reactions: ittigger
We typically use a 6 ft table for most events. We use a 4 ft for ceremonies or events with little space. We have a rack with mixer/power conditioner/wireless mix receiver on the right, controller and laptop in the center and DMX controller and backup laptop on the left.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Someone Im friends with on fb just posted this great set up photo of his, which happened to utilize the same facade. Just some motivation for you perhaps on how to proceed in terms of looks.
View attachment 33867

Wow. I'm sick.

Got to pull those scrims a little tighter .. :)