I need help with the new portable HD I just bought.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I just bought a Seagate portable 2 TB HD from Micro Center for $80. I'm trying to transfer the files from the old HD to the new one and I don't remember how to do it. Please help. Thanks.

I just googled it and it looks like it's copying from 1 HD to the other one. I was told it will take about 15 house for it to finish.

why do you keep buying hard drives?
My main HD finally quit on me. One day it was working and the next day nothing. So I learned a valuable lesson a while back because of me mistakenly using the wrong cord for my controller. Which burnt the circuits out. Carry back up stuff just in case of an emergency. Anything can happen.

I'm having an issue with my new HD coming up when I plug it up to a USB port on my laptop and pc. What could be the reason it's not coming up on either computers? My other one it works fine.

I'm having an issue with my new HD coming up when I plug it up to a USB port on my laptop and pc. What could be the reason it's not coming up on either computers? My other one it works fine.

Could be a bad port or cable or maybe even a bad drive. Start with plugging it in to a different port and go from there

I had an issue once with a computer and was told it could be a loose nut on the keyboard....couldn't find it on mine, maybe you will have better luck? Is it giving an error code? If the ID of the error code is 10-T that could be an issue also..... :laugh:

But, seriously, what Jeff said above...have you tried additional cables to verify the cable isn't bad? If it is not working in multiple machines with different cables it could be a bad drive. Or, a drive formatted incorrectly.....

This is really weird. Never had to do this. I hooked the HD up to my laptop. Then loaded VDJ. Went to this PC. Then found the HD and clicked it on. It's a Seagate backup plus. Then I had to go to the Seagate expansion and hit that. In a few seconds the HD then started to pick things up. So it is working. I just wonder why when I first plug it in the icon for backup plus doesn't come up on the screen. That's crazy to me but at least I know it's working. Should I be concerned that I have to do it that way for the laptop to recognize the HD?

One thing I am noticing is it is a little slow having things come up.

This is really weird. Never had to do this. I hooked the HD up to my laptop. Then loaded VDJ. Went to this PC. Then found the HD and clicked it on. It's a Seagate backup plus. Then I had to go to the Seagate expansion and hit that. In a few seconds the HD then started to pick things up. So it is working. I just wonder why when I first plug it in the icon for backup plus doesn't come up on the screen. That's crazy to me but at least I know it's working. Should I be concerned that I have to do it that way for the laptop to recognize the HD?

One thing I am noticing is it is a little slow having things come up.

It's kinda difficult to diagnose that type of problem without access to the computer. Did you recently install any software or operating system updates? Did you check the Device Manager to see what driver is running... if it was recently updated, perhaps roll it back???... [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ittigger
Had something similarly strange happen today on my Home Theatre PC (Windows 10). It runs most of the time and uses my living room TV for a monitor. I selected the PC as a source so I could play some music and I noticed it had rebooted... no message saying updates had been installed, but I suspect they were. When I tried to play music, NO AUDIO... nada. In Control Panel, it showed Audio playing on the Realtek Audio HD speakers, but couldn't get anything to come out. Plugged my headphones into the jack, just to make sure it was playing, and again, nothing. That told me the problem was in the computer, and not my stereo, which was a relief. I inserted a Sound Blaster X-Fi GoPro USB sound card, and it worked fine, so I was able to play music, but my OCD says EVERYTHING must work or be fixed.[emoji1] So I downloaded the Realtek Audio driver for my motherboard from the Gigabyte support site; ran the setup, and low-and-behold, the output jack worked again. I suspect Windows 10 updates did something funky, because I had a similar thing happen on my old Sony Vaio and had to rerun the audio driver setup every time Windows "updated" the audio driver. Aggravatin'[emoji37]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ittigger