I didn't get the convention but.....................

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I was at the panning meeting for a convention coming this February. I put a bid in to be the DJ for their convention and didn't win the bid. Before anyone beats me up saying they thought I wasn't good enough, that's not it. Lately I've done a couple of events for them. One was a bowling party that I got a phone call the day before to do. I accepted and knocked them dead.

I know what the issue was and that is they don't know me well enough to trust me with such a big event. This is for 2 nights at a very nice hotel. The DJ will play in a big ballroom that requires a lot of sound. What we have wouldn't be good enough. I know a great DJ that has the sound to cover such a large room and since it's who it is for he4 rents out that system for 1k for the weekend. The system includes 4 crown amps, 2 Yorkville tops and subs. The super big boys. The tops are dual 15" at least. Great system for such a large room.

I would have rented the system from him which he also provides a monitor. All I would have needed to bring was my DN MC 6000 and laptop. It's just that they need to see me in action some more before they will give me a serious consideration.

What I did find out yesterday they need a DJ to do their next bowling party to help raise money for the convention. They asked me can I do it and I said yes of course. I did the first one which was the first time I ever did a bowling party. It was a blast and they loved me. So I wasn't mad about not getting the nod to do the convention but I do get this. It will be in the same place starting at around 10pm. It will go a little after 1am. I'll do what I do and they'll love me again.

My attitude lately is I get in where I fit in at. When one door closes God opens another door. To end it for now hey have a convention every 2 years. So I figure I do enough work with their events to raise money for their next convention they'll seriously think about me being their DJ for their convention in 2015. All I can say is I'm happy to have gotten that. It's going to be on Route 22 west at Highway Bowl on January 26, 2013.

Have you asked why you didn't get picked for the convention? I think its a fair question. Thank them for the opportunity to bid on the work and for the gigs you've done from them up to now and ask what would it take to be their "go-to" for the convention.

They have given you more work so trust may not be the issue.

Reactions: 1 person
Have you asked why you didn't get picked for the convention? I think its a fair question. Thank them for the opportunity to bid on the work and for the gigs you've done from them up to now and ask what would it take to be their "go-to" for the convention.

They have given you more work so trust may not be the issue.
I said it. I haven't done enough for them yet to really know what I can do. I did one bowling party actually for the convention. Before that I did a thing called a learning day that the people there loved. I got to do the bowling party because someone gave them my number who was at the learning day and went crazy over how I played that day. So they needed a DJ in a pinch and had the next day for them available. That's the simple truth.

They just need me to do more work with them to be convinced I can handle the job. They also have other great DJ's to choose from besides me. I can think of 3 that are super great DJ's who have done conventions before. I've never done one so they don't know I can do it. I've had more then enough people say I would be great at doing a convention some day.

I'm just happy right now to get some work from them because at one time I couldn't get them to even consider me. The reason being that this is a 12 step program and some on here may understand this. They just didn't like my sponser or my sponser's sponser. What they did in their past had nothing to do with me but since I was associated with them that gave me a bad rep. Some just can't think a person can change. My thing is I won't be there with them when it's their judgement day with God. So to hell with what some others think.

What are you charging them for thw bowling parties? What did you quote them for the convention?

What are you charging them for thw bowling parties? What did you quote them for the convention?
For the bowling event it's a fund raiser and they are paying $300.00. For the convention I put in a bid of $2,400.00 which was probably the lowest bid. I won't know until later on down the line how much that DJ is getting paid and who it is.

Sounds like they think you are just that a $300 DJ. Which is nothing to be ashamed of but they want more of a pro to do their important job. Everything you post her about not wanting to or knowing new music and all the bar jobs you do ect. Leads me to one conclusion you are just not as good as your think you are. maybe you can mix a song or two as long as it is in the genre you like to play but that doesn't work for every party. By the time you figure out how to run a DJ business and have ay chance at making it successful you will not be able to lift gear, walk or hear. You should just take all the $300 jobs you get offered and be happy not paying taxes on those jobs and live your life and not worry about what people onhere or any other board think.

Reactions: 3 people
Sounds like they think you are just that a $300 DJ. Which is nothing to be ashamed of but they want more of a pro to do their important job. Everything you post her about not wanting to or knowing new music and all the bar jobs you do ect. Leads me to one conclusion you are just not as good as your think you are. maybe you can mix a song or two as long as it is in the genre you like to play but that doesn't work for every party. By the time you figure out how to run a DJ business and have ay chance at making it successful you will not be able to lift gear, walk or hear. You should just take all the $300 jobs you get offered and be happy not paying taxes on those jobs and live your life and not worry about what people onhere or any other board think.
Here it is sir. I have DJ's that we work together to help each other out. No admittedly I'm not the hip hop and r & b DJ of today. That's where one of the other DJ's takes over. Now as for that crack about them thinking I'm not professional enough (which I'm not mad) here it is. They have some others that have done conventions in the past and are very famous around here. So I figure they picked one of those DJ's.

I know personally 2 of those DJ's have been feature DJ's for very large festivals in the city of Newark, NJ during the summer. One of the festival is on the last weekend in July at Lincoln Park in downtown Newark. A very big deal that brings out 1,000's to the festival during that weekend. The DJ's that come to do the house music part on Saturday are top of the line DJ's who everybody knows that attends the festival. They'll even have a special guest DJ to show up and play for the festival. One year they had the legendary Tony Humphfries to play at the festival. For those who don't know he used to be the DJ who played in the most famous club in Jersey ever. Club Zanzibar which was located in downtown Newark, NJ. They had the best sound and light show for a club anywhere. People used to come from Penn., NY, and Conn. to hear this DJ on Saturday nights.

This was back in the 80's and that club has been long closed down. This DJ has travel all over the world as a headliner. So like I said I haven't done enough yet for the Greater Newark Area to win the bid. 2 events aren't just enough. Plus throw in these events are not giant size events where we're bringing in our entire speaker setup to blow the doors off the place where the events are taking place.

Last edited:
Blah, blah, blah ...... here it is, DJ Jimmy nailed it on the head.
No he didn't! Like I said they don't know me well enough yet. Like I said lately I've only done 2 events for them and both were over the top. They went nuts over me being the DJ doing the events.

As for the bar thing. They don't even know me from playing in a bar. They know me as a proud member who happens to be a DJ. Now on to this thing some of you are so hooked on about me and that is me being a bar DJ. I play in that one bar in Orange every so often. I don't have a bar where I play at on a regular bases. I'll be there next Friday because my friend has another gig somewhere else and I'll cover the bar that night. I'm not booked that night for a gig so why not go and play in the bar and make some money. That's better then having the gear sitting in the basement making no money at all.

How I even got to play in the bar was I became friends with one of the DJ's that plays there. He got to find out I know what I was talking about and finally got to see me in action. He got to see how good I was and that I know what I'm doing. So whenever the bar needed a DJ and he found out I had that date open he would talk to the manager about me playing in the bar. Finally after he pestered him enough, he finally decided that as long as he has been playing in this bar and as good as he is that he must know what he's talking about.

So he got me to come in and cover the bar. He kept trying others too when one of the DJ's had another gig to do. What happened was that some of the DJ's they would pick either weren't any good or just wasn't the right fit for the bar. They may not have know how to read the crowd or not have the right music for that night.

I come in this bar enough and have played there enough that the people got to know who I am and like they way I play. Over a period of time the manager got comfortable having me come in the bar to play because of 4 reasons. I'm very punctual, know how to read the crowd, carry a professional attitude, (which isn't always easy with a bunch of drunks in a bar) and I know how to talk on the mic to make people want to have a good time.

So kill the me being a bar DJ thing. I play in a bar from time to time. It's not my regular thing. The last place like that where I played at regularly was on a Wed. night at Club Marlos in Irvington, NJ. A DJ friend had me come in to help him play that night. That's been some time ago. That's about it peoples.

Last edited:
No he didn't! Like I said they don't know me well enough yet. Like I said lately I've only done 2 events for them and both were over the top. They went nuts over me being the DJ doing the events.

As for the bar thing. They don't even know me from playing in a bar. They know me as a proud member who happens to be a DJ. Now on to this thing some of you are so hooked on about me and that is me being a bar DJ. I play in that one bar in Orange every so often. I don't have a bar where I play at on a regular bases. I'll be there next Friday because my friend has another gig somewhere else and I'll cover the bar that night. I'm not booked that night for a gig so why not go and play in the bar and make some money. That's better then having the gear sitting in the basement making no money at all.

How I even got to play in the bar was I became friends with one of the DJ's that plays there. He got to find out I know what I was talking about and finally got to see me in action. He got to see how good I was and that I know what I'm doing. So whenever the bar needed a DJ and he found out I had that date open he would talk to the manager about me playing in the bar. Finally after he pestered him enough, he finally decided that as long as he has been playing in this bar and as good as he is that he must know what he's talking about.

So he got me to come in and cover the bar. He kept trying others too when one of the DJ's had another gig to do. What happened was that some of the DJ's they would pick either weren't any good or just wasn't the right fit for the bar. They may not have know how to read the crowd or not have the right music for that night.

I come in this bar enough and have played there enough that the people got to know who I am and like they way I play. Over a period of time the manager got comfortable having me come in the bar to play because of 4 reasons. I'm very punctual, know how to read the crowd, carry a professional attitude, (which isn't always easy with a bunch of drunks in a bar) and I know how to talk on the mic to make people want to have a good time.

So kill the me being a bar DJ thing. I play in a bar from time to time. It's not my regular thing. The last place like that where I played at regularly was on a Wed. night at Club Marlos in Irvington, NJ. A DJ friend had me come in to help him play that night. That's been some time ago. That's about it peoples.

There's no shame in being a bar DJ.

Reactions: 3 people
[video=youtube;ss2hULhXf04]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04[/video]

Mix let me help you out a bit since you are stuck on this, "Have to famous and a feature DJ to get big gigs" thing you always spout. I have been a DJ since 85, I started small and worked school dances small parties low end weddings. I was seen by a multi op around 90 and asked to join them. I accepted and worked with them for about 5 years LEARNING all types of music ideas and refining my skills. I then went out on my own and started my own company and have done hundreds of high end weddings, bars and Nightclubs. I made a lot of money and had a great business going all own my own because of things I learned from the group I worked with and LISTENING to others. A few years back Citi Corp had a convention in Philadelphia and asked me to do a small pre convention party for the main members. I took the job and I rocked the place, how do I know this because the next day I had an email from the President asking me do their conventions all over the world. they asked me for my price and what I needed, I gave them my rate and rider I would need to do these jobs. They never blinked because they knew what they were going to get from one job I did for them. I didn't need to do a lot of cheap jobs for them to get into the door better yet I was not part of the group nor did they get to know me. FYI I was getting Airfare, hotel rooms all meal paid for $300 a day per diem while I was there Plus $2500 for the party itself. I needed to bring no gear except for my laptop controller and music. They allowed me to call any sound company I wanted to and had them come in to setup the lights and audio for me, which they paid for on top of everything else. I even get tipped with Ipads, MacBook’s and even a new mic that I used at one of their shows that I fell in love with. I did this without having to do half the crap you claim needs to be done and did it all by myself with no partners needed.

You will never succeed until you start listening to people that give you advice on here. Since you are in AA I believe the first thing you have to do is admit you have a problem. Well guess what this is now your DJ AA and you need to admit you have a problem and until you do you will never be more than a $300 DJ who wishes and wants to be more.

I do not take video or pics at my parties because I do not have time nor do I need them but I still have a few from a show I did in Colorado a few years back. Check it out and then let me know when you really want help and not just come on here to talk to hear yourself talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEIT435eShA&list=UUl64Qu8DIO20qZbPXCzXiUw&index=26&feature=plcp

Sorry for the rant to all the others on here but he just drives me insane. Also in no way do I claim to be the best DJ out there and do not want to come off that way. I knwo there are others on here and other boards that do things I want to do but have not had the chance to do yet. Oh yeah Mix tot his day I am still listening and learning from other DJs wether they have been doing it for 30 years or 3 years.

Reactions: 6 people
Mix let me help you out a bit since you are stuck on this

Jimmy, you want to borrow our brick wall (useful for smashing one's head)? Mix will come around when Mix wants to come around. You all can lead him to the water all day and night - but only he can drink it. I wonder if you pour it onto the ground all day - if he'll have to go to the bathroom?

If you've been reading this for any amount of time, you'll know to just let it go. It's kinda like fighting fire with gasoline instead of water. If you just let it be, the fire will go out.

in no way do I claim to be the best DJ out there and do not want to come off that way. I know there are others on here and other boards that do things I want to do but have not had the chance to do yet. Oh yeah Mix tot his day I am still listening and learning from other DJs wether they have been doing it for 30 years or 3 years.

Very good to hear. When you stop learning, you die. That's a fact of life. We can all learn more - every day.

Last edited:
Ittigger, I have been reading on here and other boards for awhile and finally I had to chime in. The fire doesn't go out with him. New ones just pop up everyday.

Reactions: 2 people
They don't even know me from playing in a bar. They know me as a proud member who happens to be a DJ.

That's too bad. What they should know you as is a DJ that happens to be a proud member. This proves that you've still got some polishing to do.

Note to DJ Jimmy D: Four posts in and you're a rockstar. Welcome to ODJT. :)

Reactions: 2 people
Ittigger, I have been reading on here and other boards for awhile and finally I had to chime in. The fire doesn't go out with him. New ones just pop up everyday.

I hear ya - but Mix has to learn the only way Mix can .. and everyone is not meant to be a top notch DJ. Some are and will always be at whatever level they are at. No amount of equipment can or will change that. The only thing that can change it is themselves. That requires a goal, a plan, self motivation, hard work and persistence.

Glad you joined what I consider the best little spot on the web. Feel free to ask and share. Also, spread y'er speakers and y'er lights .. or the ODJT bouncer will be all over ya. Don't feed Joker after 10 - weird things happen. Other than that, sit down, buckle up and keep your hands inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a complete stop.

:)

Last edited:
That's too bad. What they should know you as is a DJ that happens to be a proud member. This proves that you've still got some polishing to do.

Note to DJ Jimmy D: Four posts in and you're a rockstar. Welcome to ODJT. :)
No we're not allowed to promote our professions in meetings. That's a violation of one of our traditions. We have people in here that are from all kinds of professions from doctors to police officers. I just can't do that. Over time some have gotten to know what my profession is. Just to explain myself. We do this because no one member is more important then any other member. We all are on equal ground regardless of how long someone has been clean. Also I never mentioned the name of the 12 step program.

Now with all that said I do seriously expect to get a real serious nod to be the DJ for their convention or another convention in another area. To the DJ who said he got to do a convention after doing just one event for a company let me ask you this. Who else was in the running? I'm not trying to shoot you down for what you did. That's great! How many other DJ's did they have to choose from? Do you even know. Around here DJ's come a dime a dozen. It's not that hard around here to find a highly qualified DJ to do an event or since we're on the subject a convention. I can easily think of 5 DJ's besides myself who would be great at doing a convention. Just to let you know I didn't post this for all to think I was pissed off for not getting the convention. I said that at the beginning. My plan is to not give up and keep on trying till I get to do one. That means to do more pushing to do more events for the program. I can't do them all because in this state alone they have so many functions a year, you can't keep up with them all.

No we're not allowed to promote our professions in meetings. That's a violation of one of our traditions. We have people in here that are from all kinds of professions from doctors to police officers. I just can't do that. Over time some have gotten to know what my profession is. Just to explain myself. We do this because no one member is more important then any other member. We all are on equal ground regardless of how long someone has been clean. Also I never mentioned the name of the 12 step program.

I think you totally missed the target there Mix. He wasn't talking about you saying you're a DJ at AA. He was talking about you admitting your issues with DJ'ing amongst DJ's. His exact statements pertaining to it was:

You will never succeed until you start listening to people that give you advice on here.

Well guess what this is now your DJ AA and you need to admit you have a problem and until you do you will never be more than a $300 DJ who wishes and wants to be more.

As for this part:

To the DJ who said he got to do a convention after doing just one event for a company let me ask you this. Who else was in the running? I'm not trying to shoot you down for what you did. That's great! How many other DJ's did they have to choose from? Do you even know. Around here DJ's come a dime a dozen.

Did you consider that maybe there were no other DJ's in the running? Maybe they wanted him and only him.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention a big point. When you put in a proposal to do a convention it's not just you coming to a committee meeting and presenting your proposal to them. You put yours in with 2 others DJ's and then they have a meeting themselves to decide who they want to do the convention.

I'm pretty sure DJ Jimmy D when you got booked to do that particular event you did for that company they went looking for a DJ and decided on you. They normally just don't go out looking online or such for a DJ to do events for them. They normally have members of the fellowship that DJ to do events for them. Rarely do they get someone outside of the fellowship to do things for them. I'm pretty sure they picked a DJ that has done conventions in the past that they know.

I certainly wasn't going to quote some really super low price just to get the convention and lose money. I could have done that just in hopes they would choose us but that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to loose money on such a job just to brag I did a convention. I decided to keep the quote close to what others would charge. Finally once again I never said what the fellowship was. It could be any one of a different anonymous programs that are out here.