I blew it at the last event I did.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
Not feeling all that good right now. I knew I messed things up big time. I was hoping against hope that I would be forgiven and given another shot.

So at this last event I did I didn't know my main laptop had corrupt files. So it would work right making the Mix Deck Express not work right. The event was on Saturday and I found out on Thursday my partners father died on that Wednesday. So no getting him to to setup my backup laptop to use with the Mix Deck Express.

Honestly it was a horrible day and I looked terrible. I 've learned over the years to not beat myself up too much but it is what it is. The committee said they were giving someone else a shot because they were looking out for my physical health but I know the real truth.

It's just that for me after the event was over and we got back to my partners house My leg locked up so bad I couldn't walk. So no helping moving any gear. When I got back home it took me 10-15 minutes to get in the house. It's depressing to have that happen. Right now I just want some relief.

There is the retirement celebration to do on the 28th and right after that I got a wedding to do on May 12th. One of my sponsee sisters is getting married and she said I was her only choice. That made me feel good.

Last Sunday a member came up to me in a area service meeting saying he's getting married next September and he wants me to be the DJ. Another great shot in the arm. Especially since I rarely get someone looking that far in advance for me to do a wedding for them. Today I physically feel so so. Not bad nor good. I'm in the middle today. Just needed to vent. Thanks for reading.

Mix .. you should have a backup ... not your partner (he should have his own main unit and backup), whether that's another laptop, a tablet or even a phone. A backup device can easily plug into an unused channel with a $5 cable.

Mix .. you should have a backup ... not your partner (he should have his own main unit and backup), whether that's another laptop, a tablet or even a phone. A backup device can easily plug into an unused channel with a $5 cable.
I have a backup laptop that's mine. That laptop is setup to use with the 6000 and not the Mix Deck Express. It will be for sure next time.

I got a call from the vice chair thanking me for sometimes just showing up and that I'm a great DJ. That was nice of her. So I feel a little better. That doesn't change what happened though that day. Oh well crap happens at times. I just don't need to be too hard on myself.

Uh

Not to beat on u, since probably everyone else will do that much harsher than me... but you know your lack of preparation is an obvious reason why no one with a bigger budget is willing to call you. Continue to expect super lowend clients until you work to repair this image.
Like I said crap happens and I just got to keep it moving. Of course it's not a good look but nothing can be done about what happened. Just got to see to it that it doesn't happen again. Also like I've stated before I'm not a computer wiz. So tell me how do you know when you have corrupt files on your computer?

Like I said crap happens and I just got to keep it moving. Of course it's not a good look but nothing can be done about what happened. Just got to see to it that it doesn't happen again. Also like I've stated before I'm not a computer wiz. So tell me how do you know when you have corrupt files on your computer?
I use serato... so it analyzes all your files (which if you're not doing, you should) and it has indicators for corrupt files and missing files. I also buy all my music from valid sources so can't say I really have that issue. Are you sure its a corrupt file and not a file that has a missing source location... or maybe just a stability issue between the program and the computer. U seem to have a lot of issues lately with this mixdeck and its software. Perhaps its time to switch to a new more proven software.

Reactions: sonic-vision
...So tell me how do you know when you have corrupt files on your computer?
If you're talking about ANY kind of file, you actually won't know if you have corrupted files until you try to use/open them. If you're talking about MP3 files specifically, you can scan your library with something like Checkmate MP3 Checker, which is free to download and use.

Fact of the matter is files can become corrupted at any time. It can happen if your hard drive develops bad sectors or it can happen if files are copied from one place to another. It can even happen if metadata inside the file is changed by something like a tagging program. When I recently copied the data on my NAS to a new NAS, there were about 6 corrupted files (out of 300,000+ files) that could not be copied. Fortunately, I had a good backup and recovered all six files. Computers and data storage are not perfect. There's really no way to prevent or predict file corruption. The only thing you can do is protect yourself by doing routine backups where the data is verified.[emoji4]

When was the last time you defragmented your disk drive? That can make a difference. If you have a large number of corrupted files, you may have a failing hard drive... replace it ASAP. Or you could have a malware issue... but THAT's a whole 'nother topic![emoji4]

Last edited:
I use serato... so it analyzes all your files (which if you're not doing, you should) and it has indicators for corrupt files and missing files. I also buy all my music from valid sources so can't say I really have that issue. Are you sure its a corrupt file and not a file that has a missing source location... or maybe just a stability issue between the program and the computer. U seem to have a lot of issues lately with this mixdeck and its software. Perhaps its time to switch to a new more proven software.
It was the laptop. The Mix Deck Express is working fine.

I never said it was the mixdeck... but rather the software and ur laptops compatibility, or the performance of your laptop in general (as bobcat said, possibly malware). It uses virtual dj... perhaps your laptop doesn't have the proper pc requirements... perhaps you havent updated the software and operating system to compatible levels. The better question is how do YOU know it actually is corrupt files as opposed to something else altogether?

With computers having a backup ready to go is key. Actually clients who pay really well expect you to be prepared to handle problems so they don’t know there is a problem. So you if do have a backup it needs to be working and ready to go so you can complete the event with minimum or no interruptions. Any computer can go down at anytime due to a software or hardware issues. That is why you will hear of people with multiple back ups with them and also multiple backups of all their music library. I am sure everyone has a issue one time or another but how they handle is what makes the different. I can’t imagine if popped up at a first dance wedding or a once in a lifetime event.

Reactions: ittigger
I got a call from the vice chair thanking me for sometimes just showing up and that I'm a great DJ.
Sorry to hear your bad luck or PPP Mix . Ego driven , Won't pay the bills!!

Not feeling all that good right now. I knew I messed things up big time. I was hoping against hope that I would be forgiven and given another shot.

So at this last event I did I didn't know my main laptop had corrupt files. So it would work right making the Mix Deck Express not work right. The event was on Saturday and I found out on Thursday my partners father died on that Wednesday. So no getting him to to setup my backup laptop to use with the Mix Deck Express.

Honestly it was a horrible day and I looked terrible. I 've learned over the years to not beat myself up too much but it is what it is. The committee said they were giving someone else a shot because they were looking out for my physical health but I know the real truth.

It's just that for me after the event was over and we got back to my partners house My leg locked up so bad I couldn't walk. So no helping moving any gear. When I got back home it took me 10-15 minutes to get in the house. It's depressing to have that happen. Right now I just want some relief.

There is the retirement celebration to do on the 28th and right after that I got a wedding to do on May 12th. One of my sponsee sisters is getting married and she said I was her only choice. That made me feel good.

Last Sunday a member came up to me in a area service meeting saying he's getting married next September and he wants me to be the DJ. Another great shot in the arm. Especially since I rarely get someone looking that far in advance for me to do a wedding for them. Today I physically feel so so. Not bad nor good. I'm in the middle today. Just needed to vent. Thanks for reading.

Mix do you know how to change a tire on your van? If you do at some point you had to learn how.....Same applies to these little problems with gear you need to learn how.

Making a mistake is fine repeating the same mistake is foolhardy

I never said it was the mixdeck... but rather the software and ur laptops compatibility, or the performance of your laptop in general (as bobcat said, possibly malware). It uses virtual dj... perhaps your laptop doesn't have the proper pc requirements... perhaps you havent updated the software and operating system to compatible levels. The better question is how do YOU know it actually is corrupt files as opposed to something else altogether?
Not looking to be funny here. How often do you put your laptops online so they update? I don't mean keeping them online. Just long enough to update.

Not looking to be funny here. How often do you put your laptops online so they update? I don't mean keeping them online. Just long enough to update.
This is not my online surfing computers. I only go on line once to download my serato software. Never have had a need to update!
Yes , Serato has indicators for corrupt files and missing files.

There are different approaches to this issue. Some guys NEVER update their DJ systems, and never connect to the Internet with them. If nothing ever changes on it, it theoretically should continue to work as it always had.

I keep all my computers updated with all the latest software updates. The down side to staying up-to-date is that you BETTER TEST EVERYTHING after the updates, because the updates can cause stuff that worked to stop working. The down side to NOT updating is that your computer is at risk if you ever do go online, or if you load some file with embedded malware, and if you keep adding music files, that is a REAL possibility. Also, newer peripherals may not work when you add them... pretty minor risk. When you finally decide to update, it can take MANY hours.

I had a Linux server I never updated in the 9 years I used it, and it ran 24x7 for all those years. But it was only used on my LAN, and never used to connect to the internet.

Update what? the software, the operating system? My laptops are actually online all the time... heck im typing from my djing laptop (one of 3 I have) right now.

I still don't know what exactly happened at the event that you "blew it".
Did I miss it?

I still don't know what exactly happened at the event that you "blew it".
Did I miss it?
Appears he wasn't prepared. Data problems and no backup.

Reactions: ittigger and Ausumm