How Often are you Blogging?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Albatross

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Sep 7, 2016
I wanted to throw this out there partially as a question, and partially as encouragement.

I'd love to know how often you guys are trying to put new blog content into the world. As most of us know, blogging is 1 part creating content for prospects and partners, and 2 parts reminding Google you're relevant.

I've been trying to create new written content (at least 300 words, but I'm wordy so that's not an issue) at a minimum once a month. But, ideally twice a month. I've wanted to do a better job on video content all year, but it has been easier for me to crank out a blog post pretty quickly.

I just wanted to get a sense of how often you guys are posting new stuff. And if it's been more than 2 months, to encourage you to create some new content for your sites.

I think blogging with relative or pertinent information is great. I think fluff to merely drive SEO in disingenuous. If you are knowledgeable about areas of business and can show that strength, blogging is a good way, assuming you link to it from social media channels. However, I've seen too many "blogs" that are merely aggregations of other people's work .. or worse, plagiarized versions of it, so stay original.

Reactions: DjDennis
I tried blogging a couple of years ago but I just never got into it. The only topics I blogged were gig logs, mostly photos, not much text. I hear it's better not to blog at all than not keeping up with it consistently.

I tried blogging a couple of years ago but I just never got into it. The only topics I blogged were gig logs, mostly photos, not much text. I hear it's better not to blog at all than not keeping up with it consistently.

My blog doesn't currently show published dates, but that is one of the risks if you do. Just like Facebook - you don't want your last post to be super old. But if you don't display published date, you can get away with a bit more infrequency on a blog.

I try to put out a email newsletter/blog post (they are the same content) twice a month.

I don't use it as advertising space, per se, I use it to give tips and tricks. Basically I save articles on FB that I find interesting and use them as inspiration for content.

I have had brides book me because of the newsletter/blog even without directly advertising in it.

I personally think of things I share in a few categories:

- Gig Log/Recap Content (Video or Photos)
- Partner features - this could be venues, photographers, etc.
- Wedding advice - just helpful tips and tricks
- Company news or updates (this is the lowest percentage of stuff) - Bridal shows we might be attending, or something like that

This is my blog if you want to take a look: Blog -

Reactions: Jas
for blogging to work you need 2 posts a week, or more.
you need relavent n0n-commercial (toward yourself) content.
links IN count for a lot..traffic too. Links out are good as well.

I know a few DJs that have done well with blogs - but it's a LOT OF WORK to do it right. And maybe a bit of lying..."this venue was great, staff was facnctastic, food unbelievable"... week after week it's not gonna be believed..to say 'the spaghetti was overcooked' won't do well with the venues.

the guy that does i tbest does a video (like 10 minutes) for EVERY wedding...stills and video. Work? Yep, lots of it. AND if you watch more than a few you see EVERY WEDDING IS THE SAME! Same 'games' or 'tricks' or whatever you want to call them.

I try to post 2 times a week to FB. New songs, funny bits, once in a while an event report, a video, etc.

From what I've read no more than 1 in 5 posts should be 'self serving' - as in 'see me at X bridal show" and similar.

Reactions: Jas
Blogs were the passé thing that wedding professionals touted as another thing that we should be doing with our time a few years ago. YAWN.

Seriously...look at your website stats. How many brides/grooms spend more than 3 minutes browsing your web site? I bet the number is LOW. If you think your going to get brides/grooms to spend time sitting at their laptop, desktop or with their mobile phone reading your blog then bless your heart! Brides/grooms are very busy. They don't think "I want to go and read wedding vendor blogs".

Quite honestly, the majority of people who will read your blog are other wedding vendors...particularly DJs. Maybe some of your family may take some time to read it if you post it on face book or tell them to read it. Outside of that...potential customers aren't reading your blogs.

Potential customers WILL watch your videos. Obviously, if you are a photographer with a photography blog showing your pictures, that might help out as well. But DJs talking about DJ related things isn't going to have a general audience of brides and grooms.

Reactions: Dan The Man
I see big spikes in my traffic numbers (relatively speaking) every time I post new content and share it on social media. There is no doubt about it that clients rarely will take the time to read the full length. But, it does help SEO to keep content fresh. And having event photos, and videos of events on blogs is engaging content.

Reactions: Dan The Man
Google likes websites that constantly change much more than those that don't change at all. Blogging is more about getting google to like your website (SEO) than getting people to spend lots of time reading your blogs. Basically, blogging often gets google's bots seeing changes in your text etc. That's my understanding of it anyway. I'm sure SEO improvement can be done in many ways.

I've started and closed several blogs over the years. I currently have ~5 blogs going for ad revenue. One hasn't seen a post since 2014. Another is tech related but doesn't see much posting mainly because it such a crowded niche and I don't have the energy nor time to put into standing out in that niche. I have a personal blog just to have it but I'm really not the writing type nor inspired to write something with any sort of frequency. The others also rarely see posts but add to my maintenance duties significantly.

As others have mentioned make sure you will stick with it. A stale blog doesn't help SEO and could leave a bad impression with a potential client. If Google takes me to a blog post while looking for something and I notice the post is old or the blog looks like it was designed in 2007, I'll usually look elsewhere unless material on the subject is really hard to come by.

Reactions: DjDennis
My son is a website designer/photography...
and he is currently re-vamping my site to include a blog page.
He has always told me that part of a big part of SEO is keeping your page current,
with new pics and new copy.
And who here DOESN'T like to brag about their work?

Reactions: Albatross
I have had many people tell me I should blog. I'm a good writer, but I want to write the truth. I don't play poker. I couldn't look you straight in the eye with a straight face. I'm considering a blog page, but evidently you have to have all of these other skillsets outside of a love for music to be a DJ . I do not have all of those other skillsets at this time.