How Much Power Do I Need?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I have both, and the hum x never seems to work. The audio XLR ones work wonders. I don't find it degrades the audio at all.

Maybe it didn't work for you or wasn't applied correctly at the source equipment causing the hum and it won't fix all hum problems especially on problem equipment that only uses 2 pronged plugs, but it definitely has worked for me in the past. I had a Lenovo laptop that would cause hum when its AC power adapter was plugged in. As soon as I plugged the laptop into the Hum X, hum was completely gone. Even if it may not be UL approved, it's better than just using a 2 prong ground lift adapter.

It has worked for several of these reviewers as well.

Ebtech Hum X Ground Loop Hum Exterminator Reviews | Sweetwater

I also have a few Ebtech Hum Eliminator XLR boxes, but only use those as a last resort. I haven't had any hum issues in many years since upgrading to better equipment and cutting down on analog connections, so I haven't had to use these in a long time.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
I had a Lenovo laptop that would cause hum when its AC power adapter was plugged in. As soon as I plugged the laptop into the Hum X, hum was completely gone. Even if it may not be UL approved, it's better than just using a 2 prong ground lift adapter.
I've also had the "Laptop Hum Problem" as well. An alternative is to get a so called "Double Insulated" AC power supply that only has a two prong plug (no ground). Buried in all those symbols on it's label, look for the square within a square.

RiyeCTE6uaa5pORY5dkrnkiDq4bnLpBbMpr-6-Ge-pqrOMQ6gh.png
s-l1600.jpg

I'm going to work on selling them for other events as well... but I'm using this homecoming to justify a few new toys. The Intimidators came in today, and it's amazing how fast you can get them up and running with SoundSwitch.

Excuse my super messy studio... but this took no more than 10-15 minutes, and that includes setting up the positions for the movers to target.

Also, I wanted them on the totems, but it turns out my ceiling is a bit too low in this space to run them on top.

Reactions: ittigger
View attachment 34720

I had looked at the manual but hadn't found that line before. If I assume that an outlet is delivering at least 100 volts (my Monster Power Conditioner generally reads between 110-125) - then the draw from 4 181s would be 9.3 Amps, but likely a bit less.

Do you guys not use power regulators on your gigs? This Tripp Lite 2400W unit is fabulous. 14 outlets, 2400 watts and gives me perfect power levels when the wall is anywhere between 89 and 147 volts. I put this on the floor, under my table and it's done away with the multi-strips I used to use.

Do you guys not use power regulators on your gigs? This Tripp Lite 2400W unit is fabulous. 14 outlets, 2400 watts and gives me perfect power levels when the wall is anywhere between 89 and 147 volts. I put this on the floor, under my table and it's done away with the multi-strips I used to use.

I have a Monster Power Pro 2500. But I only have one, and depending on the gig I don't always use it. In this case, I was assuming I would need more than 1 outlet, so I wouldn't have a reading on all of them.

I have a Monster Power Pro 2500. But I only have one, and depending on the gig I don't always use it. In this case, I was assuming I would need more than 1 outlet, so I wouldn't have a reading on all of them.

I know I'm probably stating the obvious but you do realize that Monster unit is not the same as a power regulator, correct? It only does line conditioning and safeguards from spikes. It doesn't help you when the voltage is sagging. Again, Captain Obvious I know.....................

I know I'm probably stating the obvious but you do realize that Monster unit is not the same as a power regulator, correct? It only does line conditioning and safeguards from spikes. It doesn't help you when the voltage is sagging. Again, Captain Obvious I know.....................

I'm far from an expert on these power devices. That unit is the only thing I've ever used to condition the power for my gear.

I'm far from an expert on these power devices. That unit is the only thing I've ever used to condition the power for my gear.

In a large metro area (I think that's where you work?), line sags are likely much more of a problem than spikes and a conditioner does nothing to help that. Please take a look at that Tripp Lite 2400W that I mentioned. It corrects a lot of ills and I think it would be a good addition to your arsenal.

Reactions: Albatross
I know I'm probably stating the obvious but you do realize that Monster unit is not the same as a power regulator, correct? It only does line conditioning and safeguards from spikes. It doesn't help you when the voltage is sagging.
The Trip Lite is not a "power regulator", it is a three position "tap changer" - a transformer with voltage taps that are selected to keep the output voltage within a range. You can actually hear when it switches. Like all transformers, it trades current for voltage, it does not create power. Inside pic -

Trip Lite.JPG

This is certainly useful if you're concerned about very low or very high voltages with your equipment, but most of the modern equipment we use have fully regulated power supplies that can comfortably accommodate the usual (in the USA) voltage fluctuations, and also cleans up a lot of line noise. For example, the AC power supply for my laptop is good for 100VAC to 240VAC!! Power, which is voltage x amps, is limited by what comes out of the wall socket. Period.

Last edited: