How much is enough? (speaker/sound)

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
One thing that keeps me 'passive', so to speak, is the lack of outlets at some places. I guess I could bring another 100' of ac cord and run it all back to my station, but thats more work (to carry, setup, tear down, etc).

Regardless of where I am, in most cases, all audio power comes back to me and then to the wall. This forces use of the same ground. It's really not any 'more work' to extend a power cable out to each speaker.

More components are just more things to fail!
Maybe - but in the case of powered speakers, if one goes down, the other should keep on rolling. In the event of a passive amp going down, you've lost whatever speakers were connected to it.

I use combo cables (power+XLR signal) to my speakers. With 25' cables, that gives me a good 30'+ spread between them. They make combo cables up to 150' and it's no more difficult to run than a speaker cable. I tried running one speaker on a separate outlet once (it was right next to the base of the speaker) had awful hum and went back to the combo cable. They go back to my rack power conditioner now to minimize the possibility of ground loops.

Reactions: ittigger
See, I've proven I don't know squat about powered speakers.
I suppose old school amps can fail, but I've not had anyone tell me of such. Have had many tell me tales of woe on powered speakers - thermal shut downs, just quitting, etc.
I bring a spare amp 95% of the time so even if I have a catastrophic failure I should be up and running in 10 min, worst case (the amp was left in the car and and I identified the problem quickly).
I guess one could bring a backup powered speaker..

As for powered's going thermal, I have cooled and non cooled units .. and have yet (knock wood) to have one go thermal on me or just quit .. nor do I know of a large number of people with these issues. If you're overdriving, anything can happen - but this is even worse on a passive system. I know of a few incidents where 'going thermal' has happened .. and in most cases, following the manufacturer's directions would have avoided it.

Keep in mind that you cannot mix passive / active (powered) speakers. If I'm using passive speakers, I have a spare amp and speaker with me at all times. If I'm using actives, then I have a spare powered with me at all times.

Reactions: Valerie Hicks
Key is backup, on both passive and active systems. Anything can fail ;)

As for powered's going thermal, I have cooled and non cooled units .. and have yet (knock wood) to have one go thermal on me or just quit .. nor do I know of a large number of people with these issues. If you're overdriving, anything can happen - but this is even worse on a passive system. I know of a few incidents where 'going thermal' has happened .. and in most cases, following the manufacturer's directions would have avoided it.

Keep in mind that you cannot mix passive / active (powered) speakers. If I'm using passive speakers, I have a spare amp and speaker with me at all times. If I'm using actives, then I have a spare powered with me at all times.
You can mix them .. I used to use my Mackies over a borrowed set of Yamaha subs (Club series). Used a Crest LT1000 amp on the subs with the powered Mackies. Downside is you can't run a single signal cable to the sub and jumper to the top .. but it can be done.

Reactions: DJ_MJ
You are correct, you 'can' mix them .. as long as it is done properly. Putting a powered in place of a passive would be a very wrong move though. I was being cautious.

OK...did my photobooth at a prom tonite and got to chat with the DJ and listen to his system.
Alto 12" tops and 18" subs (2 of each), active 1000 watts.
315 kids at the prom, more than half on the floor much of the time.

His bass was audible everywhere and at the booth (front or back) it rattled my pants. the overall mix I didn't like - too much high, too much low and not a damned thing in the middle. Overall volume was OK and from a distance didn't sound too bad, but up close (like on teh floor) - the lack of mids was bad IMO.

I didn't see an eq or bbe or anything of that nature, just the mixer and everything looked straight up.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
OK...did my photobooth at a prom tonite and got to chat with the DJ and listen to his system.
Alto 12" tops and 18" subs (2 of each), active 1000 watts.
315 kids at the prom, more than half on the floor much of the time.

His bass was audible everywhere and at the booth (front or back) it rattled my pants. the overall mix I didn't like - too much high, too much low and not a damned thing in the middle. Overall volume was OK and from a distance didn't sound too bad, but up close (like on teh floor) - the lack of mids was bad IMO.

I didn't see an eq or bbe or anything of that nature, just the mixer and everything looked straight up.
If the mids were weak, I suspect it was in his settings. I have 12" Altos as well (probably the same ones), and love the way they sound... plenty of range. I don't use mine without subs, but I think they sound as good as my 15" JBL's, maybe better. There are other DJ's around here who use them (without subs). They're no QSC or Yamaha, but not bad for events with 250 or fewer guests. I think it's pushing them at 300+. That may have been the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If the mids were weak, I suspect it was in his settings. I have 12" Altos as well (probably the same ones), and love the way they sound... plenty of range. I don't use mine without subs, but I think they sound as good as my 15" JBL's, maybe better. There are other DJ's around here who use them (without subs). They're no QSC or Yamaha, but not bad for events with 250 or fewer guests. I think it's pushing them at 300+. That may have been the problem.

I use two 12" Alto TS112As. They have a nice, clear digital sound to them. Not as nice as Yamaha DXR, but they work well, are light weight, and the price is right!

...I am using them on a 49 guest wedding today in D.C. ...No Sub.

...As for the 315 guest prom...I bet he would have been fine using one 18" sub and the two 12" Altos. ...It sounds like their was too much rattling bass, and the mids just didn't come through because of the drowning bass.

I use two 12" Alto TS112As. They have a nice, clear digital sound to them. Not as nice as Yamaha DXR, but they work well, are light weight, and the price is right!

...I am using them on a 49 guest wedding today in D.C. ...No Sub.

...As for the 315 guest prom...I bet he would have been fine using one 18" sub and the two 12" Altos. ...It sounds like their was too much rattling bass, and the mids just didn't come through because of the drowning bass.
Your description of the sound of the TS112A's is spot on. If you turn the highs up too much, they can sound a little harsh though (IMO). I have the TS112W's, but it is essentially the same speaker with Bluetooth added. Also, my subs are the 15's, not the 18's. I've used the TS112W's with one sub before and I think I should have used just my two 15" JBL's instead. What I ended up doing was disconnecting from the sub and running full range on the tops. It sounded much better. Maybe with an 18" sub it would have been better.

Last edited:
it's just my opinion but i think a sound sytem sounds a lot better with an EQ properly tuned for your mix of song choices.

I guess a lot depends on what YOU think sounds good. I like bass - but I like a balanced mix and want to be able to hear all the instruments/frequencies.
I have specific songs i play during setup since i know how they should sound (to me) and I check again during the night (walk around and listen) to see how it's changed with a full room.
I set max volume during setup for each input and output and keep an eye on it during the night so I dont clip or screech, that the mic can be heard, etc.

Many DJs, from my observation at 100+ weddings, tend to play too loud. Maybe it's a guy thing, a gear/ego thing, what we think clients want maybe?

Your observations are right. Some people believe that because they have 5,000 watts, they have to use it all. Others don't have the sound setup right, so it sounds bad at any volume. Some rooms haven't been or can't be rung properly.

As I said in the beginning of this, it is about what YOU want.

5000 watts (Insert Beavis and Butthead mumblings) :D :D :D

It's not that complicated.
DJs play music. The kind of music you play, and the purpose for which you play it determine the drivers needed.

The DJ who will say you can't ever work without a sub woofer is the guy who bought 12" (or less) driver and then shows up at rooms filled with young people who expect to hear contemporary dance and hip-hop. The guy who bought 15" or dual 15" and does mixed ages (like weddings) may not have this problem.

If you plan to play all kinds of events then you should have all kinds of options.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ Bobcat and DJ_MJ
See, I've proven I don't know squat about powered speakers.
I suppose old school amps can fail, but I've not had anyone tell me of such. Have had many tell me tales of woe on powered speakers - thermal shut downs, just quitting, etc...

About 8-10 years ago there were issues with alot of units shutting down some worse than others but It's been quite a while since I've heard of any going thermal

Do more watts mean anything?

My understanding is sound is air pressure -and the more air you move the more sound you get. So a 15" speaker moving 3/4" say, is going to put out the same sound (pressure) regardless of whether it's driven by 250 or 1000 or 2500 watts.

yes, a sub needs more watts than a typical midrange or tweeter because it's physically moving a bigger speaker. I played a gig saturday with a 12" sub that claims 700w, typicall my sub is an 18" that can handle 500w but my amp drives it with 250w and it 'thumps' more than the 12 (as expected) watts be damned.

most powered mixers that live bands use max out at 300w or so and that's teh upper end models - many are 100, 150 w. they need that to keep up with a drummer.

So do watts matter? Do you need, as Steve says, jiga-watts? Or is it just a penis compensation discussion?