How much is enough? (speaker/sound)

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
As much as I love the power of those ls801 subs, I'm starting to see Wes' point that they're too much for 90% of the gigs we typically work. I pulled out double subs this past weekend, because it was a prom, but that 3k room I worked can be covered with lots of headroom to spare with a single unit. I know some here will poo-poo it but here lately I'm setting up a single sub with both tops mounted via a Y-connect and fanned left/right. I've really started to think about picking up maybe a single 15" powered unit or maybe a Ksub.
I have a hard time recommending a KSub .. I think for less $$, the Yamaha DXS subs are just as good and smaller.

I agree with Steve 100% on this one the Ksub was a huge disappointment to me, the Yamahas are excellent.

Yea not sure why it isn't up to snuff .. the KW181 is a damn fine sub. For the money, the Yamahas rule their price point, IMO.

As most people here know, I pretty much use the L1's exclusively. When we do larger shows, I've simply added more units on wirelessly.

Is it perfect? No. Everything has positives and negatives

But people say they love the sound. I love the sound, it's really easy to transport, set up and tear down. Set up looks great. The whole unit including the mixer is extremely simple, yet packs a variety of options.

Is there something that sounds better? Probably. I've just been so happy with what I have, I've never bothered to compare it to anything else. When I get something that works for me, I stick with it. Just like I haven't used another wireless mic in years because I'm so happy with my senheissers.

Point it....if you are looking for other options because you don't like something about your current options, that great. But if you are happy with what you have, and your clients are happy, don't sweat it. Enjoy what you have and make money.

As most people here know, I pretty much use the L1's exclusively. When we do larger shows, I've simply added more units on wirelessly.

Is it perfect? No. Everything has positives and negatives

You know, I can understand your love for the L1. I have one also. The only reason I don't use it regularly is that I only have 1 setup so no redundancy. For the money, I think it's over-priced. I will say though that, if you pair it with a good sub, it can become a beast. A few months back I used mine, paired with a Yorkie LS801p, and it was a monster rig. I put the L1 tower on top of the sub and a single B1 off to the side. It covered a 5k sq ft room with ease and sounded superb.

Reactions: Scott Hanna
I find the L1 good for some things but it's too hard on my hearing - it's got very wide dispersal so it's as loud behind it as in front. 5 hours of that and i need a bucket of tylenol that weighs more than the speaker.

As for pricing..I think it and HK (similar and better IME) are not cheap, but if you go get a pair of QSC12 and matching subs (any brand, just that quality level) you'll spend about as much.

when I do schools or outdoor gigs I usually run 6 QSC HPR181i's and 4 HPR153i's, yes sometimes its over kill sometimes it's not the system is set up and loaded in the trailer in a fashion that make it easier to just use all of it rather than trying to take thing apart to scale down, plus it looks cooler with all of it set up

You know, I can understand your love for the L1. I have one also. The only reason I don't use it regularly is that I only have 1 setup so no redundancy. For the money, I think it's over-priced. I will say though that, if you pair it with a good sub, it can become a beast. A few months back I used mine, paired with a Yorkie LS801p, and it was a monster rig. I put the L1 tower on top of the sub and a single B1 off to the side. It covered a 5k sq ft room with ease and sounded superb.

Yeah I wouldn't go out with just 1 either. Always want a back up.

Maybe it's a personal preference, but I've never had an issue with the b1s. I mostly used 2 per system. Now I have b2's but I only use them on full strength (+ setting) for school dances. Too much bass in plus setting, in my opinion, for weddings.

I don't use the model 1's any more. It's the model 2's with the t1 that I find perfect for me. The model 1's base was too bulky for my liking. Model2's are even more expensive than the 1's were. M2's much lighter and smaller overall footprint.

I'm fine with "overpriced" if the stuff works well for me...and lasts. I expect it to work well all the time and the company to be very responsive if I need help.

My senheisser mics are $500 a piece, software $329 per computer. Cube echos $350 per unit

I dont like wasting money. I just don't mind spending money on something that will make my life easier or the event better. I used to buy cheaper stuff and had issues. Now I don't have any issues

Btw, if you are looking to sell the model 1, I may be interested. I rent those. I just bought 1 from a DJ that closed up shop in Boston.

Yeah, the whole watts thing is a lot of smoke and mirrors...rms, peak, program and then how many channels are they counting? And yeah, I've seen the powered speaker list separate figures for each speaker.

I can find two different ratings for my amps in teh same owners manual...

I was taught growing up that ohms matter most - mismatch that and things release their magic smoke. My amps will do 8, 4 or 2 ohms, nearly doubling the output as resistance drops. More fun calculations!

Reading online the suggestions seem to be to have amps that will output more than the speakers ratings...I learned to do the opposite so you can't blow a speaker.

My current setup is PR12 or 15 speakers, 400w rating, and mackie M1400i amp that is rated at 250 or 300w (depends what page you read) at 8ohm.

I just wonder at times with my wimpy watts compared to what I see marketed today if i'm missing something.
Some companies measure peak power, some measure at RMS, and the best rating is minimum continuous.take those big numbers and multiply them by .707 And then multiply that by @ .6. And you will get your minimum continuous.

Last edited:
Btw, if you are looking to sell the model 1, I may be interested. I rent those. I just bought 1 from a DJ that closed up shop in Boston.

I don't have a model 1, mine is a model 2 with 2Xb1 subs. I'm afraid my wife might remove my head from my shoulders if I sold "her Bose".

Reactions: Scott Hanna
Has anybody heard in real time the JBL EON One Line Array set up? I heard it at the DJ Expo last year, but too much going on to figure out if the sound was excellent or not in that area. ....The price point is a lot lower than RCF or Bose. It also is attractive because the weight isn't that much, and the top fits into the bass cabinet for transport.

I have not heard either the Eon or the Evox, but I think the Eons only real advantage would be number of inputs and bluetooth.
The bluetooth advantage becomes almost negligible now with the availability of bluetooth input connectors.
Just looking at reviews and specs, I don't believe the Eon could keep up with the Evox 8.
I think the Eon is more comparable to the Bose Compact than the L1.
Also the Eon looks really cheap and plasticky.
The Evox is also more rugged in it's satellite setup, using metal screw in poles instead of plastic spacer connections on the Eon.
The Eon is ok for what the video describes it's uses for, but due to it's weak looking construction I don't think I would trust it for longevity as a rental. It might make a decent ceremony system.

Has anybody heard in real time the JBL EON One Line Array set up? I heard it at the DJ Expo last year, but too much going on to figure out if the sound was excellent or not in that area. ....The price point is a lot lower than RCF or Bose. It also is attractive because the weight isn't that much, and the top fits into the bass cabinet for transport.

I heard them last week. I had a meeting at a local restaurant/bar with a guy playing a guitar and singing. They sounded pretty good nice smooth bottom end