Weddings Hiring an older DJ?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I wouldn't share Cher.

Seriously, man, do you think a lady DJ is gonna speak up for any reason in a thread entitled "Hiring An Older DJ"? ;)

Reactions: 1 person
All I can say is it's about a person picking the right DJ to do an event for them. Then it's also about the DJ knowing which events he or she is best suited for. We have a gig on June 29th. It's a block party. That will mean we need to play different styles of music to please both the kids and adults.

Not every event is the same and each need to be handled differently. I say do the ones you're most comfortable with if given the chance and do your best at that event. A lot of times we surprise people when they see us in action thinking that we're old men that don't know what we're doing. Most times when we're finished we get a ton of compliments from both young and old.

Last edited:
Perhaps, some here could take a look at this from a different angle.

Interviewing potential customers is no different than an actual performance. Interview (aka perform; aka sell) with grace, leadership, intelligence, passion, and a visual painting of the outcome and age will have little impact, even if the DJ is under 30 and handicapped with very little life and performance experience.

Making the pre-contract interview fun, considerate, exciting, mentally visual, and with experienced articulated grace, any perceived barriers (age, over-weight, bad breath, skin blemishes, clothing worn, meeting location, background distractions) vanish. Okay, maybe not halitosis.

Last edited:
Making the pre-contract interview fun, considerate, exciting, mentally visual, and with experienced articulated grace, any perceived barriers (age, over-weight, bad breath, skin blemishes, clothing worn, meeting location, background distractions) vanish. Okay, maybe not halitosis.

Quite true. (even the halitosis part)
Once I get an interview, I usually close the deal.

But I think the issue is not the interview....it's GETTING the interview.
If the mindset of the bride is that she wants a young DJ, you may never get a phone call, an inquiry, or even a second look.
And you'll probably never know it.

If the mindset of the bride is that she wants a young DJ, you may never get a phone call, an inquiry, or even a second look.
And how would she/he/them know?

And how would she/he/them know?

Sorry, Cap....maybe because it's Friday, but I cannot get a grip on what you are asking.
I was only saying that I agreed with your point about sealing the deal in a meeting.
But the brides who don't want an old fart DJ, would probably not contact me to begin with.
(My picture and my bio make my age easy to figure out)

Mike Foxx :
(My picture and my bio make my age easy to figure out)
There's the answer.

Is this considered a self-inflicted wound to the top of one's foot?

Remove those items and I'd ask the question again; how would they know if you were an old fart?

Just sayin'. Whatever flops anyone's flipper is kewl wit me!!

Reactions: 2 people
Mike Foxx : There's the answer.
Is this considered a self-inflicted wound to the top of one's foot?
Remove those items and I'd ask the question again; how would they know if you were an old fart?
Just sayin'. Whatever flops anyone's flipper is kewl wit me!!

Oh, I know how to fix the problem, and you're right. The solution is easy.
But if a client is more worried about my AGE than my EXPERIENCE...they're probably not my kinda client anyhow.
But I'm not THAT worried about it, personally...I was just offering my 2 cents!
Most of my business is word of mouth, or people who have seen me in action.
The work I get from a local multi-op, they do all the selling...and they don't have pictures on their site.

Mike Foxx: There is no such thing as the "perfect package".

Every jock has his/her faults. If as often as it is beat to death on these boards... to "sell your strengths", then according to the laws of ying and yang, it is equally important to "offsell your faults".

You might have a young buck, mack daddy, super model stud selling a wedding with the enthusiasm of a lemming, or, an old fart like you who is so excited about their day for them you're almost peeing in your pants.

If one feels there's a detriment to their ability work, recognize it, embrace it, overcome it.

There's no such thing as the "perfect package".

Mike Foxx: There is no such thing as the "perfect package".

Every jock has his/her faults. If as often as it is beat to death on these boards... to "sell your strengths", then according to the laws of ying and yang, it is equally important to "offsell your faults".

You might have a young buck, mack daddy, super model stud selling a wedding with the enthusiasm of a lemming, or, an old fart like you who is so excited about their day for them you're almost peeing in your pants.

If one feels there's a detriment to their ability work, recognize it, embrace it, overcome it.

There's no such thing as the "perfect package".

All the ladies say I have a perfect "package" ...

Responding to the Quote in Redhot's post in #48, (not the Post itself): Its almost laughable how the conversation changes to deflect blame. I don't get to see the majority of it because my Ignore Button is in Active Mode. People forget that two wrongs don't make a right.

Where is this ignore button located, I am not "lurking" and just starting to post, but it is apparent that I need to "break it in". Thanks!!

As far as the old guy goes, I would feel much better about him "going off" if he were to the beat, but it kinda comes off as a prescription drug or alcohol type of "tweeking". I get the having fun and "getting down" thing, but I really don't think he showed his client video of him doing this prior to the deposit. I just can not believe it. If it was a 20 yr old I would KNOW they are on X or Shrooms, hahahhaa.

The other part of the spectrum is being 36, as I am, and playing Acker Bilk or Ella and having the "older" guest compliment us on our music selections for dinner or pre ceremony. The opposite effect, our composure and taste in a "younger body" blows their mind, lol.

Let me turn away from the "goofy old guy routine" discussion.

I do weddings. I'm also quickly becoming an old guy (48). I also fully realize that 20-something brides, generally speaking, do have an aversion to old dudes. After a couple of seasons of hiring different DJs I see a pattern forming. The guys/gals who present better are received better, period. I have one guys who is 55-ish and overweight. Of the bunch, he's probably the best DJ and he's forgotten more production chops than I'll ever have. Still, I've had to cut back on booking him because of the complaints, most of which I feel are generated simply because he's an old guy.

And yes, part of my business plan is to slowly begin replacing even myself with younger talent.

Hey Rick,

So, what does the older DJ do to that's so bad? Also, what were the complaints.... Just curious.

Thanks,

Rod

Hey Rick,

So, what does the older DJ do to that's so bad? Also, what were the complaints.... Just curious.

Thanks,

Rod

The DJ in question does a fine job (my opinion). He gets there early, is friendly, and nails his cues. He does seem to play an awful lot of old stuff (70s). The complaints I've gotten are "He just sat there.", "His daughter helped herself to our food.", mostly petty, garbage complaints. I think behind them is what I consider the real reason clients aren't happy; he's not attractive (and neither is his 20-something daughter, who goes with him on gigs). I saw the same pattern with another DJ I used for a while (although he actually did mess up more). That guy was 30-ish, but just didn't present himself as sharp or on top of things.

I think if there's a point to this thread (and that's questionable), it's to drive home how important looks and presentation are. We ugly guys can obviously get client approval, but it's far easier for them to dislike us if we're just doing a mediocre job.

The DJ in question does a fine job (my opinion). He gets there early, is friendly, and nails his cues. He does seem to play an awful lot of old stuff (70s). The complaints I've gotten are "He just sat there.", "His daughter helped herself to our food.", mostly petty, garbage complaints. I think behind them is what I consider the real reason clients aren't happy; he's not attractive (and neither is his 20-something daughter, who goes with him on gigs). I saw the same pattern with another DJ I used for a while (although he actually did mess up more). That guy was 30-ish, but just didn't present himself as sharp or on top of things.

I think if there's a point to this thread (and that's questionable), it's to drive home how important looks and presentation are. We ugly guys can obviously get client approval, but it's far easier for them to dislike us if we're just doing a mediocre job.

so sex sells. the better you look the more jobs you get? Ever see a fat model? you may be the prettiest apple but that doesn't mean you taste the best. All I'm saying is you better have more than looks, you need knowledge and personality or you will go nowhere fast.

I believe it is time for the VLOG experience, for those who have not seen it -- parts 1 and two... ;)

[video=youtube;xchHExrZ86E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xchHExrZ86E[/video]

[video=youtube;TcAcXk1qYp0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcAcXk1qYp0[/video]

Reactions: 2 people
so sex sells. the better you look the more jobs you get? Ever see a fat model? you may be the prettiest apple but that doesn't mean you taste the best. All I'm saying is you better have more than looks, you need knowledge and personality or you will go nowhere fast.

I agree, but that's not the discussion. We're approaching it from the other end. You can have game for days but if you also don't have the look, you are more likely to not be accepted as well by guests and clients. I'd like to keep using this older guy but it's not in the best interest of my business. There are other, younger, prettier guys who have the skills AND they look good while doing it. These are the people that are generating a steady stream of glowing reviews and happy clients.

Yeah, no doubt image is a major contributor to success. Speaking of which what do some of the djs on this site wear when doing a wedding or party. My first wedding reception is in two weeks. I was thinking of Men's warehouse. Thanks in advance.

Rod