Helpful Tips for new Denon HD2500 Owners

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DENON

New DJ
Dec 13, 2006
There are a few things to know as you get started.

1. Register yourself and player here:
http://www.denondj.com/dj_club/join-denon-dj-club.asp

2. Check to see that your firmware inside the HD2500 is up to date.
How to check it is here:
http://www.denondj.com/firmware.aspx?ProductId=80

If its older than v1400, logon into your account (item 1) and download the update (.zip file)
Unzip the DL file in a new folder so that you can find it.
Read the .pdf “Read Me” doc and follow the few steps to update the player.
Note: Its best that you have a USB thumb drive handy to perform the update.
(it only take 20 sec to complete the update)
*We have added many new user requested features that are not listed in the manual, make sure you read through the .pdf “Read Me” doc to catch them all.

3. Do not use the Music Manager that was included on the CD-ROM disc. (its old)
DL the latest version here:
http://www.denondj.com/assets/firmware/music_manager.zip

If you installed the one on the disc, uninstall immediately and use the link above
*Once installed create a new database for each device in use (internal HDD or external USB devices)
*This is very important to do or you may have a mis-match with Artist/Title…etc when performing searches.

4. If you wish to use an external USB Hub make sure its powered.
We recommend Belkin brand powered hubs for best performance.
The non-powered and "no name" brands may cause you trouble, like disconnect or playback freeze.

5. Hard Drives – While there is a variety of hard drives and capacities out there, I like to recommend “Western Digital My Book” series. Powered by a wall adaptor. I don’t like Seagate HDD, they run really hot.

6. If you wish to clean up your mp3 ID3 Tags, please try Tag&Rename
www.softpointer.com (30-day trial PC only)
However, if you created a database using the player or Music Manager, you will need to create a new databse again "after" any edits using 3rd party editors, such as this one.

7. For Audio rippers, I like to use Audiograbber. (its free and does mp3/wav files)
If you are into high quality wav files, Audiograbber supports ID3 tags for wav files that we can read just like mp3 ID3 Tags.
Great thread on how to use AG here:
Audiograbber Everything you need to know - Start.MobileBeat.Com - Where The Internet Starts For DJs

8. About your storage device(s), (internal/external) please follow these guidelines:

Max. no. files: 50,000 files per device (mp3/wav)
Max. no. playlists: 1,000 playlists per device
Max. no. playlist files: 99 per playlist
Max. no. folders: 5,000 per device
Max. no. folder files: 1,000 per folder
Max. no. artist names: 20,000 per device
Max. no. album titles: 10,000 per device
Max. no. genres: 500 per device

9. When using the HD2500 in MIDI mode, please disable webcams or webcam drivers. These items can block our device from communicating with your DJ app.

Thanks Silvio. I think I may have not upgraded and dont know my registration info at this point as I havent done much since an upgrade a few yrs back. Likely the second one Im sure I didnt get the one for providing controller capabilities and now am going to map it to Rockit.

Thanks Silvio. I think I may have not upgraded and dont know my registration info at this point as I havent done much since an upgrade a few yrs back. Likely the second one Im sure I didnt get the one for providing controller capabilities and now am going to map it to Rockit.

Make sure you do 1,2,3 as its important to keep a fine tuned engine for a solid performance.

Silvio,

One thing I noticed with the new unit I picked up - I had to upgrade it from Ver 1200 to 1400.

Did the upgrade with no problem, but I noticed that the automatic player switch doesn't happen with this new HD2500. In other words, if I am playing a track in Player 1 or 2, when I start typing to search for a track for the other side, I have to manually hit the "Tab" key to switch to the other player. I get the "Player Locked" message if I don't notice that the player didn't switch over to the non-playing player.

Is this something that was in the 1300 upgrade, but not included with the 1400 version? Again, I went from Ver 1200 to 1400.

Does this make sense?

Thanks!

Joe

Joe, did you have v1400 in your other player?
What status / mode was the other player in while typing?

Yes, my original 2500 has ver 1400 in it.

With the new 2500 (the one I upgraded from 1200 to 1400), I am playing a track on one player, the other is at the (for lack of better terms), at the "Title", "Artist" or "Genre" search screen. Does this make sense?

Using a powered Belkin USB hub & a mini keyboard that I've used on the other (original) 2500...

Thanks Silvio!

Joe

Yes, my original 2500 has ver 1400 in it.

With the new 2500 (the one I upgraded from 1200 to 1400), I am playing a track on one player, the other is at the (for lack of better terms), at the "Title", "Artist" or "Genre" search screen. Does this make sense?

Using a powered Belkin USB hub & a mini keyboard that I've used on the other (original) 2500...

Thanks Silvio!

Joe

Joe please double check your steps and settings, if they both have v1400, then they both MUST function the same way.

Which version of the Music Manager software is the current one? I have 1.3.3. When I go to Silvio's link to upgrade, I get:

screen-3.jpg

... and then a 404 error. I've tried to get to this link by both IE8, and Firefox, and gotten the same results.

Do I have the right version, and if not, how do I obtain it?

At some point, I may actually be able to use this unit. So far, I've spent almost two weeks, off and on, simply trying to get my files into the unit, and use the software to recognize the files, and maybe someday, create playlists.

Whatever the included software is, and the Denon Music Manager program are about the 6th software I've used for digital music. So far, it's the biggest pain in the ass I've ever encountered.

At the moment, I appear to be completely unable to create a database. I guess I'll fight with this device again tomorrow.

At some point, I may actually be able to use this unit. So far, I've spent almost two weeks, off and on, simply trying to get my files into the unit, and use the software to recognize the files, and maybe someday, create playlists.

Whatever the included software is, and the Denon Music Manager program are about the 6th software I've used for digital music. So far, it's the biggest pain in the ass I've ever encountered.

At the moment, I appear to be completely unable to create a database. I guess I'll fight with this device again tomorrow.

I have no idea what you could be doing wrong but.... I have used the old version of Denon DJ Music Manager and have sucessfully transfered well over a thousand select tracks to my HD2500 without any problems.

I have yet to create any playlists but if creating playlists is as easy as transfering files... I can't imagin any difficulties other than deciding what songs should go in what playlist.

In my case I just simply select the tracks I want to transfer then right click and select the drive I want to export the files to...

Steve, sorry you are having so much trouble with all this, but its really not that complicated.

The main purpose of the music manager is:
  • A. To create a database for your USB devices (so the player can find your files quickly)
    B. Filter out corrupted files that have broken headers or non matching to our specs
    C. Create predetermined Playlists for your gigs
    D. Provide some basic ID3 tag edits

Here’s how everything should go down.

• A. Install Music Manger v133
    B. Connect external USB Device with mp3/wav files to computer (or HD2500 in PC mode)
    C. Select target device (drive letter)
    D. Click on Create Full database in MM
    E. When its done MM should,
    -tell you how many files were registered
    -tell you how many files were rejected with reason, (you can save this list and fix them later)

**TIP #1**
  • To get music into the HD2500
    A. connect to PC,
    B. select 'PC Mode" it will show up as a new drive letter
    C. Copy / Paste your Folder/Files from computer to HD2500 (1,000 files at a time is best)

That’s it, its ready for party mode

**TIP #2**
You should not use the Music Manager to "transfer or transport your music", use your computer to explore the device.
To organize, add, delete and move your Folder/Files (explore the device), use your computer and just use the Music Manager to create a database as the final step.

When you want to add more music to target device, open Music Manager and select device, view the drive/folder by windows, then just drag and drop the folder into MM (file area) that contains new music music. MM will register JUST the new files and also give you a warning if other files were "already" registered, just ignore this pop up window when its displayed and thats it....

If you delete or move your Folder/Files around "after" a database has been created, you will need to create a new Full Database.
At that point you will also receive a prompt if you wish to "Save" your Playlist, of course select ‘YES’.

I agree that it SHOULDN'T be this complicated, and SHOULD work, but that's not my experience with it, so far.

Originally: I moved my files via Windows to the internal hard drive, and then tried to create a database, via Music Manager, by selecting the folder. It crashed the program, every single time. I then had it recommended to me to add it in smaller chunks, so I did so, even though I had to cut one particular folder into several smaller chunks, yet again. Is there an upward limit to the number of tracks you can add without crashing Music Manager? In the process, I would get a report of a handful of tracks that would not import, despite the fact that these very same files work perfectly, in every other digital music application I have ever used. I was told I could "save" this list, but found no option to do so, so I screen shot my files in error, planning to figure out later why not all of my music would import. I have yet to get that far along.

Then: I read Silvio's note to check the firmware (I'm up to date with that), and uninstall Music Manager from the disc, and reinstall it from the link. In the meantime, I added songs to the collection I wish to have on my 2500, so I decided to start over and try it all again.

I'm going to start over, yet again, formatting the drive to FAT32.

I agree that it SHOULDN'T be this complicated, and SHOULD work, but that's not my experience with it, so far.

Originally: I moved my files via Windows to the internal hard drive, and then tried to create a database, via Music Manager, by selecting the folder. It crashed the program, every single time. I then had it recommended to me to add it in smaller chunks, so I did so, even though I had to cut one particular folder into several smaller chunks, yet again. Is there an upward limit to the number of tracks you can add without crashing Music Manager? In the process, I would get a report of a handful of tracks that would not import, despite the fact that these very same files work perfectly, in every other digital music application I have ever used. I was told I could "save" this list, but found no option to do so, so I screen shot my files in error, planning to figure out later why not all of my music would import. I have yet to get that far along.

Then: I read Silvio's note to check the firmware (I'm up to date with that), and uninstall Music Manager from the disc, and reinstall it from the link. In the meantime, I added songs to the collection I wish to have on my 2500, so I decided to start over and try it all again.

I'm going to start over, yet again, formatting the drive to FAT32.

The firmware level should have no bearing on the creation of the DB database and crashing.

It is more likely that you have some VBR , corrupt MP3 or album art etc in your library causing MM to crash.

I would use MP3tag to do a scan of all your files to make sure they are clean and standardized on ID3Tag ver 2.3 etc for all files .

I just spent a couple of hrs synching 14,000 MP3's to my new /replacement drive from my library and the MM database was created without incident in about 10 minutes.

I had similar problems getting my library into working condition with the Cortex players and it turned out that it was my files.

Painfully slow and frustrating to find them but now it's clean. (There are a few generic tools though)

I have often asked that Manufacturers to create a utility to validate the quality of MP3 files but alas there is none product specific.