Weddings Had to cancel

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I just had to cancel the only wedding I would have had this year. I met with the B&G gave my contract, talked about music, talked about the venue , the timeline of events, We talked about weather contingencies because it was outdoors. We were several months out. The client did not put the deposit down at the giving of the contract, they did call and ask how to make payment arrangements, but never followed through. Since I never got a contract, never got a deposit, I feel that I am not obligated to this gig. The client was also given a deadline as to when I needed it by . It was explained what would happen. I had to send this client a letter of apology informing them that I was not going to be able to be their DJ. I got orders from the military that I had to report on the wedding day . If they had put the deposit down, in a timely fashion, I would have been able to do the gig, but because they waited, other things presented themselves and it's not wise to say no to the military. The client's letter also included a couple of other DJ's listings who may be able to help them. My feeling is that if the client doesn't give the deposit at the giving of the contract during the initial client meeting, I did not get the gig anyway. My average wedding rates start at $800. I offered this one to them for $375.
I'm going to go be with my military unit this weekend.

You're doing the right thing letting them know and referring other DJs.

I require the down payment check and signing of the contract at the same time. And the contract reads that it is not binding without the down payment. I had one client this year that was taking his time with signing and paying yet he definitely wanted me. I had to urge him to take care of business at a certain point.

Shows you how much the military has changed. Back in my day, we had no DJ's in the military - at night I'd throw a wire as high in the jungle canopy as I could, trying to get US Armed Forces Radio out of Saigon. Having a DJ in our Platoon spinning "We gotta get out of this place" would have been a lot better! Today, however, I can understand how playing some Bieber could help avoid enemy contact altogether.:laugh:

You handled it properly.

Last edited:
Without an executed agreement (and deposit), there is no gig to be cancelled. While I applaud your sense of honor, there's no reason for you to feel responsible in any way. Just be glad they didn't sign or you'd have an actual cancellation on your hands. On a slightly different note, I'm curious why so cheap? If your average is $800, why were you offering $375? No offense intended.

The guy was also a service member. That was most of it because we tend to try to look for our own, but he wasn't looking for a whole lot of services, he was on a limited budget (aren't they all? = not really had a budget, just no money. I had no money either and wanted a little something) If the deadlines were met I would have been able to get excused, but just because he was all talk and no action, the Army goes rolling along and it doesn't stop.
My next gig is with my own Regiment in December. My OIC is really excited because I have military themed Christmas music. I'm not too concerned at this point about the so called "non-desireables" Right now just about anyone is a desirable but they are very few and far between.

Price aside... why did you never follow up throughout the months (you said you met several months back), and mention that if they don't fulfill the needs of the contract by xyz date that you will book other events without warning. This always gets my slacking clients to act. If they don't act, I don't feel bad about booking another event, and if they decided to go a different direction, they'll be honest and tell you rather than do it behind your back.

Reactions: ittigger
Just a tip:

Always put a expiration date on the agreement. I put on every agreement that the non refundable deposit is due by xx/xx/xxxx.

I also put down an expiration date of 13 days from when I made the agreement. Deposit is due in 10 days, and they get 3 more days before it expires. That is plenty of time to pay a deposit, and get the agreement to me. I would say about 20% of clients contact me the day before the xpiration date letting me know they forgot "things have been crazy" etc. and they will get it in the mail right away. I also send them a email the day after the deposit due date, but 2 days before the contract expires just letting them know to pay ASAP. They usually respond to that email, and apologize and mail it the next day.

...If the client does not respond to that email, I know to just move on.

Reactions: SEDJ and ittigger
Per the OP, the client was given a deadline. That came and went - even after the b/g had called and asked about making payment arrangements. Mike could have followed up after that as well.

Reactions: Ausumm
I don't put an expiration date, and I also make it clear that it's "first come first served". If you're being slow and someone else pays a deposit, you lose and I'm not going to bother calling to give you a last opportunity either. There are times where I have a slow-walker, another inquiry comes in and I'll contact the first party to tell them that someone else wants the date. Pee or get off the pot.

The reminders were sent through my website planning tools. Which DOES work . What was observed was that as late as last week this couple still hadn't even found a wedding officiant. I know this because of the facebook postings they were making. They really were not interested in "planning" anything properly apparently. I don't think that they found one. I'm thinking about becoming one actually, if it can help up the game a little.

All this talk about about deadlines and whatnot reminds to double check my contract, I dont think I have it stated that there is no agreement/booking without the deposit.

You could have a booking / existing contract without a deposit /fee. It's all in how you want to execute it. You cannot have a contract without a signed document or some proof that both parties agreed to x,y,z.

You could have a booking / existing contract without a deposit /fee. It's all in how you want to execute it. You cannot have a contract without a signed document or some proof that both parties agreed to x,y,z.
I like the idea of money being put down to reserve the date ( for weddings).

Every event should require a retainer fee or at least clear rules to be considered a binding contract! Perfect example happened literally 5 minutes ago. A bride contacted the company I used to work for to book them for a wedding. She requested a contract about 3 weeks ago. Flash forward to last week, the same bride contacts me to book her wedding, she mentioned she contacted another company but wasn't thrilled with them. I didn't realize that the company was the one I used to work with until I just spoke to them before about an unrelated topic. That dj is mad as he had no idea she was even considering other dj's, and realizes he shouldve followed up sooner and next time set a deadline. In his mind it was a booked contract. Without a signed contract and retainer, there is no real commitment. And for those that don't want a retainer fee... what penalty is there to break a contract say a week after its signed. You definitely can't enforce any sort of monetary value at that point especially if it so far out.

Every event should require a retainer fee or at least clear rules to be considered a binding contract! Perfect example happened literally 5 minutes ago. A bride contacted the company I used to work for to book them for a wedding. She requested a contract about 3 weeks ago. Flash forward to last week, the same bride contacts me to book her wedding, she mentioned she contacted another company but wasn't thrilled with them. I didn't realize that the company was the one I used to work with until I just spoke to them before about an unrelated topic. That dj is mad as he had no idea she was even considering other dj's, and realizes he shouldve followed up sooner and next time set a deadline. In his mind it was a booked contract. Without a signed contract and retainer, there is no real commitment. And for those that don't want a retainer fee... what penalty is there to break a contract say a week after its signed. You definitely can't enforce any sort of monetary value at that point especially if it so far out.

I completely agree - every event NEEDS to have a binding contract. Without it, you have no event.

I had nothing. I gave them a contract. They did not even sign it, said they would get back to me and didn't. Said they would send the deposit, and didn't. Said that they would postal mail it and did not. Everything was provided to them to make it as easy as possible. I even take credit cards but they din't want to go that route. They waited around. The military needed an answer from me by such and such a time and I didn't have one to give them. With that, I was expected to report as the deadline for clearance had past. Maybe one day I'll get a real wedding. Besides, if they are still shopping for things like officiants this late out, it's red flags anyway. I have everything I stand on in my contract. AS in True military fashion, That, I'll defend. If the rules are not willing to be enforced, then why bother having them at all? Sometimes it's going to suck but that's what's got to be done.

This weekend I might get to go before the NCO review Board and a possibility exists I might make Sergeant for Christmas. I'm not going to hold my breath, but it's possible. I'll let you know if it happens. I'm going to try to get some pics of the Regimental event, that I'm going to DJ in December.

Reactions: Andy A and ittigger
Not to waggle fingers in faces, however who is in charge of your schedules - your business lives; the clients or you?

Every milestone of a contract should contain an exact drop dead date with a clear understanding that a missed drop dead date carries a penalty of termination of any and all previous agreements.

Every milestone should be precise. Not 10 days. Not 14 days. Not first come first served (that's arrogant as heck). If the contract is issued and pending signature and contract signing payment and you want it back in 7 days, state the exact date such as on or by 4:00 pm, November 10, 2017. If you don't have that signed contract and contract signing payment by 4:01 pm , November 10, 2017, that date and temporary hold is automatically released. No further communication is required and your schedule is open to do as you please.

Same holds true for the final event fee payment. Not 7 days before the event. Not 14 days before the event. State the exact date it is due. No final fee on the stated date? Your contracted service obligation is released (note: the contract is NOT cancelled, otherwise you have nothing to hang your hat on.)

Looking for language? Perhaps this might help.

II. Reservation Of Date Requested. The CUSTOMER hereby requests, and CCENT hereby agrees, that upon the CUSTOMER’s payment of the First Payment (hereafter defined) and subject to the other terms of this Agreement, the CUSTOMER shall have an exclusive reservation for the CCENT on November 7, 2018 (hereafter, the “Reserved Date”) from 7:00 pm to 11:00 pm (hereafter, the “Reserved Time”) at Rocky's House Of Horrors located at 123 Main Street, Transylvania, 90201 (hereafter, the “Venue”, the “Reserved Date”, “Reserved Time” and the “Venue” collectively the “Event”) at which date, time and location, the CCENT will provide the CUSTOMER musical entertainment and/or other services as mutually agreed upon at their Fourth Marriage.

III. Mutual Considerations. In mutual consideration for the CUSTOMER’s execution of this Agreement and payment of any and all fees specified herein, CCENT agrees to place a hold on the Reserved Date and Reserved Time and agrees to not accept a substitute customer for the Reserved Date or Reserved Time until such time that this Agreement has been terminated.

IV. Effective Date. The parties agree that this Agreement shall not have any force or effect until the CUSTOMER and CCENT have duly executed this Agreement and the CUSTOMER has remitted to CCENT the First Payment in accordance with Article IV herein.

V. Fee Schedule. The CUSTOMER agrees to pay CCENT a total fee of $1,200.00 for CCENT’s services at the Event (the “Total Payment”). The Total Payment shall be paid as follows:
a. $600.00 (the “First Payment”) is due and payable simultaneously with the execution of this Agreement in the form of a money order or a certified bank check at or before 4:00 pm on November 10, 2017. In CCENT’s sole discretion, CCENT may accept payment by personal check or cash. PayPal and/or credit cards are not accepted as a valid form of payment. The parties acknowledge and agree that the First Payment is non-refundable.
b. $600.00 (the “Balance Payment”) representing the balance of the Payment, due and payable on or before 4:00 p.m. on August 7, 2018 in the form of a money order or a certified bank check. In CCENT’s sole discretion, CCENT may accept payment by personal check or cash. PayPal and/or credit cards are not accepted as a valid form of payment. The parties acknowledge and agree that the Balance Payment, once remitted, is a non-refundable payment.
c. A $30.00 fee will be charged for any checks returned for insufficient funds regardless of reason, cause, or Agreement status.
d. Neither the First Payment nor the Balance Payment, when paid, is transferable or assignable by the CUSTOMER.

VII. Default – Failure to Pay Service Fee. In the event that the CUSTOMER fails to timely remit any portion of the Total Payment, inclusive of the Fuel Surcharge, in accordance with this Agreement, the CUSTOMER shall be deemed in default of this Agreement regardless of whether CCENT notifies the CUSTOMER of such default. Failure of the CUSTOMER to cure a default concerning the payment of the Total Payment on the due date for such fee (see V. Fee Schedule) shall allow CCENT to terminate this Agreement, relieving CCENT from any and all contractual obligations under this Agreement including, but not limited to, terminating the CUSTOMER’s exclusive reservation of CCENT’s on the Reserved Date and Reserved Time.

Any questions? Be glad to answer any and all.