Gonna miss my crutch...

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
lol... personally id rather either bring in no lights or bring them all in...

i dont want a potential client thinking thats my show... :nod:

cc

You run the same risk if you bring in NO lights.
And you also don't want people to think THEY will get free lights.

Reactions: djcrazychris
........all 3 events per year.

:laugh:

That is what my brother says when I ask him how many events he thinks we would book if we just started quoting $1,895/4 hour weddings, and added additional time at $450 to $500 per hour. 6 hour wedding would be like $2,795 - $2,895...I know a few DJs charging that in the DC area, but none of them are working much this year to my knowledge, and focus on getting business referred from high end wedding planners they know.

...But then there is Taso charging that much, and more with add ons and pushing 70 events a year. So, at least one DJ on this forum has totally proved that statement wrong.

I tend to think of the high priced DJs not working often at all, and only focusing on a handful of clients a year because they have another strong income source, but there are a few that push the bar like Taso is doing.

You run the same risk if you bring in NO lights.
And you also don't want people to think THEY will get free lights.

I will add that you also don't want to appear that you bring the SAME lights out ALL THE TIME. Sometimes I like to just change things up even if it's just putting out 2 up lights in front of my speakers or up lighting columns near the dance floor to beat to the music.

I am looking at bringing my ADJ Starburst out on a wedding soon, just to show I have other lights in my videos than just 2 moving wash lights, and a Mini Kinta.

...I am actually looking at changing my facade going into 2019. I have had the same table topper facade for like 4.5 to 5 years now. Time to change it up soon. Even if it's a modest change.

:laugh:

That is what my brother says when I ask him how many events he thinks we would book if we just started quoting $1,895/4 hour weddings, and added additional time at $450 to $500 per hour. 6 hour wedding would be like $2,795 - $2,895...I know a few DJs charging that in the DC area, but none of them are working much this year to my knowledge, and focus on getting business referred from high end wedding planners they know.

...But then there is Taso charging that much, and more with add ons and pushing 70 events a year. So, at least one DJ on this forum has totally proved that statement wrong.

I tend to think of the high priced DJs not working often at all, and only focusing on a handful of clients a year because they have another strong income source, but there are a few that push the bar like Taso is doing.
Taso has proved you CAN'T BE LIKE other DJs to charge a premium .. he's also shown that Alto isn't a building block to get there .. :)

Reactions: ittigger
This year I hit 75 events, next year I’m already at 45 events. When you’re full time, something pushed you to try harder and dedicate yourself even more to what you do... everything is on the line at that point and only your efforts will determine your success. The thing is this is a business, and we need to keep charging more to make more money. If we’re charging the same year after year, expenses will get the best of us as those keep increasing whether we want them to or not (gas, equipment upgrades, supplies, etc etc). If you learn how to effectively make incremental upgrades early on, it’ll become routine as the years go by. I just raised one of my middle packages by $100 (my most popular package). My goal by the end of 2019 is to get my avg wedding and sweet 16 booking to $3500 (not cumulative avg of all events). If you keep raising the base price, that’s gonna make it harder to accomplish after a while, but if you offer add ons and packages, there’s lots of ways to make small incremental adjustments. My pricing sheet offers 20 different line items that a client can add on... of which 7 or 8 are the most popular, and on avg each event has 4 or 5 line items.

Last edited:
I have pricing for weddings and pricing for other events.

I don't like the 4-hour starting point for a wedding because no wedding is 4 hrs and most couples are not dumb enough to think this anyhow. Almost always 6 or 7.

When I did some "research" with my friend and called around other DJs in my area, a lot of them quoted 4 hrs, and then had an hourly charge for the rest of the wedding. Made it difficult to get accurate pricing.

My friend even commented that it seems like a marketing scam to quote 4 hrs, knowing that it's not 4 hrs for a wedding.

I think I have an edge on my competitors quoting flat rate for weddings but that is not the reason I do it-- at all.

I do it b/c it eliminates dead time when I am not DJing, or if they hire a musician for part of it. I used to get into arguments of such and I could tell, even though they knew I was technically right, it didn't sit well with them. I since then have eliminated any awkward feelings and offer a flat rate. It's a win win.

Last edited:
I have pricing for weddings and pricing for other events.

I don't like the 4-hour starting point for a wedding because no wedding is 4 hrs and most couples are not dumb enough to think this anyhow. Almost always 6 or 7.

When I did some "research" with my friend and called around other DJs in my area, a lot of them quoted 4 hrs, and then had an hourly charge for the rest of the wedding. Made it difficult to get accurate pricing.

My friend even commented that it seems like a marketing scam to quote 4 hrs, knowing that it's not 4 hrs for a wedding.

I think I have an edge on my competitors quoting flat rate for weddings but that is not the reason I do it-- at all.

I do it b/c it eliminates dead time when I am not DJing, or if they hire a musician for part of it. I used to get into arguments of such and I could tell, even though they knew I was technically right, it didn't sit well with them. I since then have eliminated any awkward feelings and offer a flat rate. It's a win win.
4hr wedding receptions are the norm here though which is why I have that as my standard. Anything else is extra, and if everyone else is getting paid for it, I believe we should too. If your area has a different norm, adjust accordingly. There’s also nothing wring w a flat rate, I used to do that but I saw it as missing out on potential income, especially since they were paying everyone else and EXPECTING to pay me for the additional hour or two.

Very interesting. Guess it's based on the area. I am also including the ceremony and cocktail which I am almost always part of. Out here, almost every wedding is the same 6 or 7 hours. Maybe a couple times a year, it's longer, and sometimes shorter (5).

For the few times a year when we were not "wanted" during cocktail but were there for ceremony or had to be there earlier for setup (not to disturb), it was always an awkward conversation on what the client felt they should pay for during that time we were not performing. This was one of the main reasons I started doing flat rate, to completely avoid the conversation topic. It has worked really well, and I don't have couples feeling like something is not fair, which in the end, results in a more positive experience for the couple.

Very interesting. Guess it's based on the area. I am also including the ceremony and cocktail which I am almost always part of. Out here, almost every wedding is the same 6 or 7 hours. Maybe a couple times a year, it's longer, and sometimes shorter (5).

For the few times a year when we were not "wanted" during cocktail but were there for ceremony or had to be there earlier for setup (not to disturb), it was always an awkward conversation on what the client felt they should pay for during that time we were not performing. This was one of the main reasons I started doing flat rate, to completely avoid the conversation topic. It has worked really well, and I don't have couples feeling like something is not fair, which in the end, results in a more positive experience for the couple.
good point... i include an optional cocktail hour system in my quote (if they want it... if they don't no difference in price since i'm there anyways, and most venues here have sound systems built in so all we're doing is plugging in an ipod to a rca input), so i guess it's total 5hrs... but solely based on a 4hr reception. Sometimes couples get a different person to perform cocktail hour, and I didn't want that to affect my rate. Ceremony is an add on, as 3/4 weddings I do have ceremonies at a church.

I once plugged into a house system for the cocktail hour, and the mixer crapped out. Everybody blamed me, and it was awful, so I don't mess around with that anymore. Besides, a lot of the times I have to make an announcement during cocktail hr for everyone to come and find their seats for the reception so I need more than an iPod. I run it wirelessly through my XAIR and iPad with QLXD transmitter so it's super fast to set up and looks clean.

Cocktail hour this year has been done with a Bose S1 Pro and my phone Bluetooth linked to it running a playlist. Wired mic just to invite guests into the reception.

Years ago, cocktail hour set up was a Amp, separate cd mix station, 2 passive speakers on stands, and me mixing music with various CDs. That turned into the same thing with just a laptop, and no cds. That eventually turned into a laptop and a powered speaker, then that turned into a laptop and a battery powered speaker, then I went to using my phone. And now a phone and Bose Speaker. Cocktail hour is super simple these days. I just set it up and it's a part of my quote if it is needed. Usually it is around here unless they have musicians playing ceremony music.

I once plugged into a house system for the cocktail hour, and the mixer crapped out. Everybody blamed me, and it was awful, so I don't mess around with that anymore. Besides, a lot of the times I have to make an announcement during cocktail hr for everyone to come and find their seats for the reception so I need more than an iPod. I run it wirelessly through my XAIR and iPad with QLXD transmitter so it's super fast to set up and looks clean.
Oh, most places here have rca jacks installed in the wall and u just patch in, and the manager or mater di controls the volume from their phone or mixer, so im not even touching the mixer or anything like that. Also here the staff privately invites guest to enter the reception area, so announcements are never made... at least not yet in my 9yrs working weddings.

I won't touch a "house system." It doesn't represent my brand at being the "best", and almost never up to my standards so there is that. Also, most of my events are outside and the distributed sound is ehh or they just don't have one. I am also not willing to have my reputation jeopardized as it happened before. It only takes one time, let me tell you! It was RCA jack on the wall too when it happened. I will never forget that night.

Ya, the S1 is awesome for what it is. I just can't trust Bluetooth in a crowded open environment, otherwise, I would own a slew of them. I use the BOSE compact with a battery for cocktail hr, and stream via wifi to xair, then to compact via qlxd. Take 3 minutes to setup.

i contacted the client last night and offered them the complimentary dinner music and they were grateful. Decided to stand firm on the "no lights" for this event...

I appreciate everyones input!

and the dj gods paid me back... i booked a formal party for Dec about 20 minutes after...lol

cc

Last edited:
Far as I know, my preset pricing , or "packages" all include some type of DFl, I think "gold" package includes the use of movers and the other one's dont.

But after reading this thread, I have been rethinking my whole pricing model, and I think I am going to move away for the packages and go a simple basic wedding pricing for a select period of time, like the 6 hours tier.

Reactions: djcrazychris
well...i ended up lighting my facade and my speaker skrims and im glad i did... they cut the house lights and it ended up attracting a really nice dance crowd... i figure if i hadnt lit it up they may not have cut the lights because the venue seemed to have an all on or all off type lighting system... (hate this venue)

For 2019 i plan to raise the price for the basic package and utilize the lit facade as part of it... i doubt i mention it in the package description though because if people see the word lights...they will probably assume its enough lights to "get by" and many will go the cheapest route...

once again i appreciate any and all advice on the matter! helped immensely !

cc