Going to wife's company holiday party tonight...

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
About half of all the posts on these boards are about respect - which really means complaints about which customer, vendor, or banquet manager failed to show the DJ due deference or give in to their demands and expectations. I'm not interested in joining that club.

It's not a lack of respect when I refuse to entertain posts with a "show me" sense of entitlement. No one who appears on the internet owes anyone a free extended education on some topic. Nothing will evaporate respect faster than demanding respect for uninformed and erroneous information just by virtue of having posted it. Pile on gripes like this always come from the same "prove me wrong" crowd playing the victim.

I've been at this for over thirty years. I came from DJing, and from training and supporting DJs (which I still do) but, have grown from that to being a full on event tech from staging to lighting, AV, and more. What considerations are taken up in a production meeting for the inclusion of a DJ? Clear boundaries.

Mobile DJs notoriously don't know what they don't know, and that blind spot can make them dangerous. The problem is exacerbated because DJs tend to acquire their information from other DJs rather than real education or certified training. So, bad practices and erroneous information takes on a life of it's own. There are some event sites so clearly beyond their scope that it tames their ego but, when those obvious limits are not visible they typically behave like their the smartest guy in the room and it can be really dangerous to people, property, safety, and the event goals.

More often than not when a DJ on here is pointing the finger at a client, an event manager, or some other vendor - the transparency of their own contribution jumps right off the page, and they can't even see it.

Nobody owes anyone anything.
But it's quite simple. Plant corn, get Corn. Very few people show you respect because you routinely don't show it. You could easily disagree with their statement and make your point obvious in a more professional way. But you choose to take the low road. You choose to be rude. It's really that simple. Try to justify it any way you want.

The fact that you are a regular on a forum full of people you have such disdain for would indicate you don't really respect yourself or your time very much.

Mobile DJs notoriously don't know what they don't know, and that blind spot can make them dangerous

If this is true and If you even remotely cared about making it less dangerous, you'd figure out a way to get your message across in a way that people would listen. But you don't, so very few do.

You don't owe anyone anything. If you don't care about the industry or the people, then don't. Spend your time on something you do care about

Here's the bottom line. You win some and you loose some. You think you're giving a potential client a price they can't refuse but they do. After that it's up to you if you want to renegotiate the price. Sometimes it's just not worth it to get the job. It's about you and what you feel you need to do. Sometimes you just have to say no and thank them for contacting you.

But it's quite simple. Plant corn, get Corn.

..or just weeds. The soil matters.

I don't believe I made a request or complaint regarding anyone's respect. That demand is on your dance card not mine. It's the internet Scott - it's information not an invitation. If you need to hold hands on the web that's on you, I'll continue to set my own personal and professional boundaries.

Last edited:
It's there . Bob didn't hide it. Not sure he owes you references or performances. You can find him on LikedIn (with reviews). You may not like his delivery, but he certainly has knowledge .. more than most.
Yep, looks pretty pro-fesional to me! Nice website!

Last edited:

I don't believe I made a request or complaint regarding anyone's respect. That demand is on your dance card not mine. It's the internet Scott - it's information not an invitation. If you need to hold hands on the web that's on you, I'll continue to set my own personal and professional boundaries.
At the expense of putting someone else down to do it.

Reactions: DJKLEEN

It's not the internet. It's real life. It's interactions with other humans. The internet in this realm is simply another form of communication. I treat people the way I expect to be treated and just like I do when I communicate in any other form.

Call it hand holding or coddling all you want. But I like people. I find being professional and curtious any time I can makes life much more pleasant for me. Yes it feels good when they like me. I don't apologize for that. If that's a weakness, then I'm weak. Not everyone will. I'm fine with that. I won't be something I'm not to get someone to like me. I find people really don't ask for much besides not being rude. I can disagree with just about anyone here and it never seems to blow up.

I travel a lot. I see people that are tired and frustrated when something doesn't go right and they take it out on a worker. I've found doing the the exact opposite.... Being kind and asking for their help.... Almost always yeilds much better results.

It's not the internet. It's real life. It's interactions with other humans. The internet in this realm is simply another form of communication. I treat people the way I expect to be treated and just like I do when I communicate in any other form.

Call it hand holding or coddling all you want. But I like people. I find being professional and curtious any time I can makes life much more pleasant for me. Yes it feels good when they like me. I don't apologize for that. If that's a weakness, then I'm weak. Not everyone will. I'm fine with that. I won't be something I'm not to get someone to like me. I find people really don't ask for much besides not being rude. I can disagree with just about anyone here and it never seems to blow up.

I travel a lot. I see people that are tired and frustrated when something doesn't go right and they take it out on a worker. I've found doing the the exact opposite.... Being kind and asking for their help.... Almost always yeilds much better results.

The recurring statements about not liking or respecting people who are clearly not seeking your approval is a form of pursuit - and says something very different about you, Scott. YMMV

The recurring statements about not liking or respecting people who are clearly not seeking your approval is a form of pursuit - and says something very different about you, Scott. YMMV
I don't believe anyone here is seeking my approval. I'm don't believe I'm that important. YMMV

You seem to be want to let people know how bad and dangerous the Dj industry is. I'm just pointing out why no one takes you seriously.

Last edited:
I don't believe anyone here is seeking my approval. I'm don't believe I'm that important. YMMV

You seem to be want to let people know how bad and dangerous the Dj industry is. I'm just pointing out why no one takes you seriously.

I think every time you presume to speak for everyone else I see an approval seeking behavior - on your part.
You consistently come off as needy.
That's my $0.02 - I'm not speaking for anyone else.

I don't know what glasses you have on if any .. but if you don't have any, maybe you need some and if you have some, you need a better prescription.

You are free to ask any and all here - and I'm willing to bet that no one else sees that here other than you.

Last edited:
I think every time you presume to speak for everyone else I see an approval seeking behavior - on your part.
You consistently come off as needy.
That's my $0.02 - I'm not speaking for anyone else.

I don't speak for anyone. It's the way I see it. It's called reading a crowd. Like a Dj. Not hard.

... That's my $0.02 - I'm not speaking for anyone else.

OH... Now we're back to the; "You get what you pay for" debate.[emoji1]

OK... In this case, you're right. Those remarks were worth EVERY cent, uh... both... cents.[emoji1]And I'm sure the anyone else YOU'RE NOT speaking for is/are extremely grateful, otherwise they'd be sounding like total a$$es.[emoji1]

I don't recall you paying me anything. So, where are all these expectations coming from?

When someone GIVES their two cents (worth), NO money actually changes hands. You didn't use the word; "worth", but I thought it was implied. [emoji4] However, if you REALLY need the money, we could take up a collection???[emoji1]... Just post your bank info, and I'm sure someone will transfer what's collected.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When someone GIVES their two cents (worth), NO money actually changes hands. You didn't use the word; "worth", but I thought it was implied.

No dude.
It's a reminder that the person sharing the message is not invested in your needs.

...and why are you holding me responsible for words you admit I didn't say?